Do You Buy Lossy Music?
Aug 27, 2009 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

RedSox

100+ Head-Fier
Do you buy lossy music on iTunes or otherwise?

I do, occasionally, because sometimes I'm just in the mood for something and want it instantly.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 28
No, it doesn't make sense to me. Many times (unless you have an unlimited subscription) songs are 99 cents a download. If you were to download an album (lets say 12 songs) it costs $12. If you were to buy that album, it would probably be right around $12 and 1. It's lossless, 2. Its a physical and tangible item, 3. Cover art, lyrics, artists thoughts, and other extra are included.

I completely understand the idea of wanting a song right away and for that, you can't beat a quick download. I have been creating a lossless collection and have been able to quench that thirst to get the song immediately and will wait until the album arrives.

Also, as a side note, there is no DRM when you rip your own CD's or LP's and as I continue to upgrade my listening equipment and hone my listening skills, I am starting to find that lossy is begin to sound rather... well... lossy.

Just some food for thought.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 28
buy? no.. I take lossy music
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do, occasionally, because sometimes I'm just in the mood for something and want it instantly.

I'm the same way. Actually, I buy music from iTunes rarely. However, there have been times when I have bought songs that are otherwise not legally available or that I want instantly. When the song becomes available, and I really like the song, I'll buy the CD and delete the iTunes song.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 28
Yes, especially if the album isn't easily available on physical CD. For example, Amazon MP3 has the latest album by Dan Patlansky available for download as an MP3 but does not have the CD for sale. Same for his previous album "Real" (which seems to no longer be available as a download). I would prefer to be able to get it lossless, but I'll take a high bitrate MP3 if that's the only choice I got.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 28
No. I'll take free MP3 downloads like the 5 freebies Amazon hands out when you buy electronics, but when it's my own money, it's lossless all the way. CDs and SACDs most of the time, FLAC downloads for the handful of stores that sell them.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 28
I used to, but I now regret not getting the hard copy.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 28
I have an eMusic subscription, but I wouldn't buy lossy music that cost me about the same as a CD, like iTunes charges.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 28
I mostly buy used CD's, so lossless all the way for me.I don't really get the point of buying a single song and it being in lossy quality, when you could just download a whole artists discography in FLAC for free.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 28
For sure not!
I rarely listen to lossy encoded music, and I certainly do not pay for it. I pay for CD audio, or get lossy music for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back