Do you believe BURN IN for your Audio Stuff like Headphones, Earphones and Amplfiers?
Dec 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

rudi0504

Headphoneus Supremus
What do you think about BURN IN for ours Earphones , Headphones , Speakers , Amplifiers and others Audio Stuff?
Do you believe in Burn In Processing ?
Please read the link below ;

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 62
I've think I've seen this extensively debated here and elsewhere!! (though you having the ranking of Supremus, I'm telling you something you already know!!)

You'll open up a right can of worms:wink:

As for myself, something does change from when you buy the product, to six months later… The question is, is your brain adjusting, or the product changing, and is this perceivable.

I think the perceptible difference is minor, and not worth fussing over. I've owned much equipment over the years, and to be honest, I'm not worried by it. Just buy the bloody things and use them!

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 62
I do believe that there is burn in. Now probably not all headphones and amps respond to that, however all the gear i hv bought benefited greatly from the burn in process. For example, when i bought my ath-m50, it had too much sibilance, in one of the songs it actually was unbearable and did hurt my ears. Moreover, it sounded hard and generally didnt sound as good as my klipsch image s4 in many areas. I was disappointed but i thought wd give them a chance. I let them break in for 5 days, and never gave them a listen during those days, so basically i can rule out that my brain was adjusting. After those 5 days, i gave them a listen, and surprisingly, harsh sibilance was %90 gone, and the headphones sounded way better than my s4s. I thought only headphones wd benefit from break-in. When i bought dacmagic xs, i was truly let down. My laptop on-board audio was miles better ~ a little exaggeration but u get the idea~ i gave that amp away to a friend. 3 months later, i got to listen to it. It was now a lot better than my laptops sound. I was shocked, i never thought amps needed to be burned in as well.
Now honestly speaking, if i buy a headphones, the first impression matters to me a lot. If i dont like it right from the beginning, then i dont think burn in will magically make it sound superb, however, if i do like it from the first listen, then i do know it will only get better and better.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 62
There is a measurable change in headphone response over time. Tyll at Inner Fidelity has done measurements of an AKG K701, famous for its burn-in claims, and there are small changes in frequency response, distortion, and impulse response as the test goes on.

The differences are tiny, though. Too small to be noticeable over the length of time the test took. Even assuming they are audible at all, they are far too small and specific to be the sweeping night-and-day changes people claim. Again, this is a headphone famous for improvement over time. If it doesn't change much, I don't expect it from any other headphone.

The effect of amps and DACs on the audio chain are orders of magnitude smaller, and so too would be the changes over time, I expect.

Burn-in is a concept partly based on real, measurable phenomena, but blown entirely out of proportion. Your ears get used to the sound, your mood changes or perceptions fall prey to certain expectations. The headphones aren't changing enough to matter. Just listen to the music, it's more fun that way.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 62
Does a topic looking for the beliefs of members really belong in the Sound Science forum?
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 62
I hope they do change because I am not impressed by my new iBasso dx50...the Fiio e10 is better sounding, but I do have firmware options.

My Audiotechnica Athm50s definitely changed over time...went from dull to significantly brighter.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 62
I think speakers respond a lot better because there is actual power, air, moving parts involved. With speaker and subs you have actual diaphragms moving. With my setup, see my sig, my monitors did not impress me when I got them. I have burned them in and maybe it is adjusting to the sound but the treble is the biggest difference I noticed improving and overall clarity. Now I love them so who knows. The subwoofer maybe outputs a little louder which is not saying much since I can turn the volume up anyway. 

Headphones I could see altering. But the drivers need to have some mass, not small ass earbuds. 

Remember placebos are real. If you buy a $1000 cable and trick yourself into thinking it sounds better it will sound better. Audio is all about how the mind perceives those sound waves. Is burn in real? Probably in some cases and not in others, but it does no harm burning in and ensures you are running your gear at their best which puts my mind at ease.   

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 62
do you guys really think that a product will be crap at hour 0, ok at hour 100 and start sounding great after hours 250? ok let's play that game for educational purpose.  then why do I have to be bored with that crap for 250hours? I paid a dude to get the advertised sound, if I don't get it when I buy the stuff then I don't want it.
that's like going to buy a tree, the guy gives you seeds for the same price and tells you to wait 10years for best results. yeah? well then you go grow the damn tree yourself and I'll go buy a grown tree somewhere else thank you!
that's my take on a dude telling me to wait 250hours for my amp to sound the best. you keep it, I don't want sound in 250hours, I want it when I pay for it.

pro talking about burn in, usually give you the right amount of time for the return policy to expire. because why not? if you believe it in the end it's all good. if you don't, he avoided a return. it cost nothing to a seller to advertise burn in, it's a win/win claim for him. real or not.

audiophiles talking about drastic changes in a gear after burn in are usually talking about how much they adapted to the signature, like your eyes adapt to tainted sunglasses and you slowly stop noticing that the all scenery is sepia because of the colored glass. most likely you even forgot you had the glasses on. most of the time someone telling you all about how important a change the burn in did to a product, is just a guy who never took the glasses off and now believes that good neutral vision is sepia. and chances are that he will now blame people not using sepia sunglasses for not using the "real neutral" vision.
biggrin.gif
(you all know one of those guys in audio right?).

some products are bound to change over time, and those with mechanical movements probably much faster than the rest. and for some, obviously the sound will also be affected. but my brain tells me that the bigger the change, the more I should be concerned about durability and how it will probably not stop changing when hitting the promised T time. to me the idea that something isn't stable enough to keep about the same sound after a week of use, isn't something I'm sure I want to own. because however I look at it, change is likely to be another word for decay. so little change is very very fine with me.

and if you don't like a product after 2days with it, you might get used to it after a month, but don't expect the burn in to be the reason why you now love it. we adapt to anything much faster than most people think. I give myself 3weeks to give a final judgment on a product, but it's to get rid of the silly happiness bias we all fall prey to when we get ourselves a new toy. not because I expect the gear to have burned in. my mood, tastes and perception change much faster than any gear. take the latest song you discovered and like, now listen to only that one song in repeat when you listen to music, and that for 250hours. then tell me if you still feel the same way about the song at the end(well, if you didn't already kill yourself to make it stop).

Quote:
  What amuses me about proponents of burn-in is that they always claim it makes their equipment sound better, but never worse.....funny that.

I've been burning in my own body from the day i was born,but I've reached a point where not much is getting better with time ^_^.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #14 of 62
Hope everyone has had an awesome Christmas so far?!! :)

With regards to the topic in question, I totally do not think burn in is even something manufacturers of for example headphones would even wish for ie imagine listening to some headphones on demo in a store then falling in love with them only to find after whatever "burn in" time the sound changes and you no longer love them anymore?

Manufacturers surely are ethically responsible to ensure goods (headphones I'm using for example) sound the same from the day they are purchased otherwise they are selling a defective product?

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 62
I'd say... pretty much what @castleofargh did. Perhaps slightly different in inconsequential places.

Burn in makes sense from a physical standpoint... where the properties of a material that's exposed to constant changes in kinetic energy (in this case, the diaphragm) will change over time. Pretty much like a rock sitting in a river bed eventually gets worn away by the current. Though it may not take that long...

But the problem is... if someone never liked the tonal response of a headphone to begin with, then they would be much less inclined to like it again even after burn in. If they end up doing so, it's probably either a full moon, with the right mood, and some fine wine... or well, their taste in sound changed.

I'll cite myself as an example... I have heard the HD800 on many occasions... and I think I have heard one that is just fresh new out of the box, one that has been in use for years (note: more than 250 hours), one that has been modded, etc... and... I still don't quite end up liking it by that much. The change in my preference for the HD800 is probably proportional to the change in its sound due to burn in, which is pretty minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back