Do you believe BURN IN for your Audio Stuff like Headphones, Earphones and Amplfiers?
Dec 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #31 of 62
eek.gif

But I'm guessing you are joking
smily_headphones1.gif

No, I'm serious. Most of my hobbies involve using them, and for two of those years I was either in college or unemployed.

Even now, on weekends it's normal for me to have them on my head 10-12 hours, unless I'm going somewhere obviously.

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #32 of 62
No, I'm serious. Most of my hobbies involve using them, and for two of those years I was either in college or unemployed.

Even now, on weekends it's normal for me to have them on my head 10-12 hours, unless I'm going somewhere obviously.

omg! seriously, I thought you were joking, sorry.

I think you are addicted to music maybe? But from what I gather, the headphones you mention (LCD3? are very high quality so maybe they are to blame for your addiction too? :)

But honestly, I love listening to music, if not on a lesser time scale than you but since joining Head-Fi I'm listening to more and more new music :)

Can I ask you though, what types of music do you listen to all day, any favourite tracks? :)

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #33 of 62
Can I ask you though, what types of music do you listen to all day, any favourite tracks?
smily_headphones1.gif

I use them for more than just music. I watch movies and shows, and play games. I just built a new gaming PC.

I listen to a bit of everything, and a list of all my favorites is a bit beyond the scope of this thread. Most of my favorites come from 90s hip-hop, trip-hop, and alt-rock, but I'm also a big fan of roots reggae, blues-rock, and modern EDM.

On topic though: Over these years, the things that affected my sound most are EQ, mood, and learning to listen. I haven't noticed any changes from the gear itself, despite new cables, drivers (one driver failed about 2 years in), amps and DACs, and pad wear. The thing about burn-in is, even if audible changes do exist, they occur over such a long period of time that we couldn't hope to recognize it.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #35 of 62
Since you're posting in the Sound Science forum you have objective measurable data to back this up right?

The question was... "Do you believe...?" Evidence is not a requirement. Read the initial post before being an ass.

Then the thread has no business being in Sound Science and should be moved to any of the other forums where subjective opinions predominate.

Evidence is required here, regardless of the wording of the thread title.

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #37 of 62
Then the thread has no business being in Sound Science and should be moved to any of the other forums where subjective opinions predominate.

Evidence is required here, regardless of the wording of the thread title.

Then take it up with the OP...not me...you should still apologize...

I think you have me confused with Stereodude. I don't believe I owe you an apology for explaining the posting standards for the Sound Science subforum.

Nor do I believe Stereodude does for the same reason.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #38 of 62

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #40 of 62
How people can believe in anything that can not be proven by science is beyond me.

Because "burn-in" is beneficial to sellers and manufacturers.

I bought a pair of JVC HA-S680 based on some recommendations here. I thought they sounded terrible. I was told I needed to break them in. The thread on the forum stresses how they change dramatically over "break-in". I put 200 hours on them at generous SPLs and sure enough they still sound terrible.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #42 of 62
Maybe it's the case that unless the headphone manufacturer specifically states that an advised burn in time and process is required, then if not, then doing so is unnecessary?

If a manufacture suggests "burn in" makes a difference then I woild challenge them to provide proof. Scientific measurable prof that can not be disputed.

Problem is they can't provide that proof. Anyone care to guess why?:wink:

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #43 of 62

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #44 of 62
Since this is the sound science forum, it is better that threads like this being moved to a "less technical" part of head-fi. Just to avoid never ending arguments like these..

Some people does not believe burn-ins, cables, etc. But some others do.. Maybe not many members have the technical expertise required here but still I really hoped that those who is not technically-savy not being trashed here.

Just my 2 cents, I respect everyone's opinion and I'm learning everyday here

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #45 of 62
I'm very ok with opinions in sound science. as long as we all keep in mind that an opinion is factual only in the eyes of the person giving it.
when we try to come up with facts here, we hope they are facts that can be replicated and don't depend on how much a person believes in it. I guess that's the point of science in general.

the problems above aren't about reality or technical arguments, they're about egos. changing the forum section won't change egos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back