Do you always buy the most expensive phones you can afford?
Mar 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #16 of 50
Yes.. I'd like to see how far audio bliss can get..If I had a 50,000 a yr job, I'd easily grab my dream cans, the 010 for 3,000.. But making less then 20,000 a yr, 3,000 headphones are not worth it..1,000 is really pushing it.. But as of now, my main goal is to get the most out of listening experience, and since SQ is #1 on my list, that's where I put all my resources at.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #17 of 50
It just depends: it depends on my needs (what I'm looking for) and on the meaning of "what I can afford": thank God I could afford a top Stax system without making my family starve, but... you know what I mean.

Anyway, I voted "no" at the poll.

ciao
daniele

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #18 of 50
Since coming to Head-Fi I always bought the best I could afford directly. ESW10 being quite extreme in that I had to save on food and travel costs for a month
biggrin.gif
. With the RS1 coming in I just got to a point where I think I should now save up for a new extra-high-end headphone somewhere in the future. At the moment it's not really a priority, I'll make sure I can't afford them with a new laptop first
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 50
I buy the best I can afford in my needs... I mean, If I can spend 500€ and I want to buy a Grado and the best Grado I can afford costs 400€, I'll buy that one instead of the 500€ somethingelse... Seems pretty obvious...

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #21 of 50
if you are still paying for years, doesn't it mean you can't afford them?

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #22 of 50
ermm no..you could buy a expensive BMW you can afford it, but it means it'll take you years paying off, but you will pay it off (within a reasonble amount of time) The same logic for existing house you don't pay it off in one go.

A Bugatti Veyron is another matter. Or for headphones, Sennheiser Orpheus at 30K way above my price band.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #23 of 50
i'll try all the sigs from the cheaper cans first unless i hear some really good ones at a high price. example i bought ad2ks and found out i can get more pleasure from the lower models so buying top of the line doesnt always mean better.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #24 of 50
No, and I sure can afford more expensive 'phones than the SR-007, K1000, 4070, ...
But I am not willing to spend noticeable more, as the possible sound improvement are very limited.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #25 of 50
For me it depends on which phones I looking at, If I going for phones that I planning to keep as the last headphone I ever buy til it breaks and cant be repaired. Then I may set my budget higher then normal for that one time.Plus only if I will have the money to buy them. But I picked no as most cases I in up buying the cheaper pair if something comes up or feel its not worth it to spend alot. As I general change my budget to something less of what I org had.

So I dont go spending too much on stuff.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #27 of 50
I own a wide range of phones. On the non-head-fi end i own anything from entry level stuff and crappy versions of Stereo Bluetooth to gamer headphones and headsets which are 90% crap sound wise because they ether tuned them without the knowhow or build them only for design and used some cheap china driver.
On the other end I'm getting a balanced headroom rig to my HD 800. Since I'm still a student I'll have to pay the rig off over some time but the HD800 I can do as long as I don't do them each month - I have sennheiser internal price via buddy though so... quit a bit different
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #28 of 50
Life's too short and music too dear to listen through crappy headphones. That said, I usually buy either used thru the forums here or through a dealer with a return policy. So if I'm spending $500+ I either know what I want or can return if I don't like them.

But often used is the really inexpensive way to go for expensive headphones or IEMs

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #29 of 50
No, I probably would have my dream setup if I chose to splurge whenever I want just because I have the money. I choose to put more important things first.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #30 of 50
Not really. I buy the ones that give me the sound I want to hear eg Er-4s but 580's rather than 600/650s.

In my experience to upgrade is more expensive in the long run: I bought sr-225's and added flats rather than buy RS-1s in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back