Do you always buy the most expensive phones you can afford?
Mar 13, 2009 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

lucky

1000+ Head-Fier
Some folks here (a lot, actually) seem to believe that the only reason not to spend more on headphones is because you can't afford to. Is this true for you?

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 50
A much more sensible poll than my idiot Law of Diminishing Returns idiocy. I voted Yes, though I would've liked an option that said, "Yes -- But Only if I Need To", because I usually judge based on SQ and listening pleasure first, over the finances.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 50
Problem for me, I can't find more expensive headphones that I want to buy or try. The ones I do want to try, well they are well beyond my price range. So my budget for next headphone was up to $600, but settled with HD650+recable instead.

HD800 I would love to try them, but since I can't afford them, try not to think about them.

The AD2000, so close, but still too far away. Those are the only two headphones I would want to buy, but beyond the price range. I can afford a used W5000, or D5000 new, but I have no interest in the least bit to buy them. So I bought something worth less and even with my DIY recable, still less.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 50
Define "can afford"
wink.gif

If i can pay the price of the headphone but I can't justify the increase of SQ compared to the money spent, does it mean I can't afford it?

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 50
Absolutely not. I set an amount that I'm willing to spend. Then it's a matter of researching the products within that limit and figuring out what I'll likely enjoy the most.

I could buy $1000 phones if I wanted, but I don't because I'm not into headphone listening enough to warrant that much of an investment.

I have a couple of other hobbies and they all compete for my paycheck
regular_smile .gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 50
It's not what you can afford, it's what you're willing to spend. I have a nice nest egg saved up but I'm not about to go tracking down the Orpheus even though I probably could afford it and would love to own it.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 50
If the high priced headphones are generally considered to be better, and you seek audio bliss then logically it's becomes a desire for the most expensive headphone you can afford. By afford I mean Literaly have the money or credit card limit necessary to obtain them. If you have the wisdom and fortitude to forego the purchase , then you are a better man than I Gunga Din

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 50
I go for rare cans if i see them around, because they can be auditioned and quickly sold without much loss in value.

The main factor I consider when buying new gear is what price direction its going in.. is it going to be worth more or less in the future.
But I also do impulse buys, like brand new AD2000s/

there really isn't much of a method to this madness

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 50
I voted yes because every time I'm looking to upgrade, whatever preliminary budget I set goes out the window fast. That's not entirely a bad thing though, it's landed me some sweet equipment since starting with ATH-A900 last summer, and splurging on the 3's means no more spending money on IEMs.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 50
It depends on who you are... If you are just after ONE set of headphones why not. If you get a 1500$ headphone and then keep it for 20 years it´s not that bad of a deal. You get a hopefully superior headphone to use in the meantime instead of spending 20 years with an inferior headphone or simply just trying 10 different 200$ headphones to find one you are happy with.

I wished that could include me but where I am you can´t audition headphones you need to buy them. I could spend that much if I thought I could get the same in return. Wouldn´t dare to try the markl modded D5000 otherwise. If you get a new D5000 and let markl mod them with jena cables and such it´s in the 1400$ range... However the problem with getting that was that since I did it once and lost my virgin on 750$ headphones that was my new limit it seems...

But well the PRO 900 did give me the return in the investment over the 750 however of those three high priced headphones it´s the cheapest not even near the 750$ mark like the DX1000 and say a new D7000.

ED 8/HD 800 I won´t get though. If I ever say I will I want moderators here in this forum to permanently ban me from this place since then I am truly an alcoholic.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 50
All depends on the performance/cost ratio for me. I probably could gather up enough extra funds to get the new Sennheiser HD800s, but I'm not entirely sure I would benefit from them for that kind of money. Right now I'm more than happy with my HD650s.

Perhaps down the road I'll give the HD800s a listen if I decide I need to upgrade

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem for me, I can't find more expensive headphones that I want to buy or try. The ones I do want to try, well they are well beyond my price range. So my budget for next headphone was up to $600, but settled with HD650+recable instead.

HD800 I would love to try them, but since I can't afford them, try not to think about them.

The AD2000, so close, but still too far away. Those are the only two headphones I would want to buy, but beyond the price range. I can afford a used W5000, or D5000 new, but I have no interest in the least bit to buy them. So I bought something worth less and even with my DIY recable, still less.

I agree with this, in terms of new headphones, everything I can afford, I'm not really interested in, and everything I can't afford, I'd like to give a try to, but I don't want to spend that much (can't afford because its ridiculous imho)

NOW
there are plenty of hp's that I don't buy/own, that I can easily afford, that are simply evasive to find (some more vintage Koss 'phones (currently: A/250 and ESP/9) and AKG's (K340's), stuff that doesn't come out and about very often)

then theres the 'phones I can afford, am semi-interested in, and not really sure about buying (like MDR SA-5000's)

@ oqvist:
I'd love to see someone hold a single pair of hp's for 20 years, my current vintage 'stats (inflation adjusted) are about that expensive, and obvoiusly aren't with the original owner (I have no idea what their family tree looks like, I know I'm at least the 3rd owner, and they've been to at least two countries)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back