Do those touch-activated, water crystal pads really work?
Jun 16, 2007 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
It's getting to be summer time and things are going to get H-O-T. I've always just used fans/AC in the past to keep me cool, but sometimes they just don't quite do it and are quite wasteful. I remembered an interesting item I saw on QVC last summer, touch/water activated pads that release a cooling sensation on contact:

Cool Touch Resusable 18" X 14" Comfort Cushion
Set of 6 "Cool Downz" Water Activated Cooling Wraps
Cool Thing S/2 Reusable 2-in-1 Water Activated Cooling Wraps

Has anybody tried these, and do they really work? I'm really tempted to pick up a few pairs...

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 13
Dunno about these ones but i've seen similar things that heat up instead of cool, and THEYy work. These couuld be diff though.

(gah hard to type with cat on lap
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 13
I ordered the comfort cushion and it should arrive any day now. I'll be sure to post impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 13
Wow, nice, I'm buying some if they work. It's certainly possible. I'm guessing it's just like hand warmers and cold packs, except uses a crystalline form instead of a liquid. But yeah, it's probably a simple endothermic reaction. Cool thing about hand warmers and cold packs, at least, is that you can recharge them by putting them in the freezer, and I bet these work the same way.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 13
Yeah, it's simple evaporative cooling, and it does work to some extent. I had one of the
neck wraps when I was spending a lot of time in a hot sailplane ****pit. The primary benefit IMO comes when you have the wrap sitting against a large artery, for convection cooling to your blood.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...when I was spending a lot of time in a hot sailplane ****pit....

You gotta love our censor software
rolleyes.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 13
they operate on the same principle that sweating does. Water evaporates which requires energy which is drawn from your skin cooling you down.

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 13
It just arrived. It's quite heavier than I expected, but it seems to be doing it's job. The more weight you put on it, the cooler it will get. When the gel inside turns into a liquid form, that means that the "power" has been depleted and that the cushion needs to be "recharged," which you can do so by placing it anywhere that is below 70 degree Fahrenheit (I'll be placing mine in the fridge). More detailed impressions later.

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's getting to be summer time and things are going to get H-O-T. I've always just used fans/AC in the past to keep me cool, but sometimes they just don't quite do it and are quite wasteful. I remembered an interesting item I saw on QVC last summer, touch/water activated pads that release a cooling sensation on contact:

Cool Touch Resusable 18" X 14" Comfort Cushion
Set of 6 "Cool Downz" Water Activated Cooling Wraps
Cool Thing S/2 Reusable 2-in-1 Water Activated Cooling Wraps

Has anybody tried these, and do they really work? I'm really tempted to pick up a few pairs...

Make sure that you read the QVC user item feedback for these items. My wife was thinking of ordering one set of the wrap around the neck versions and after reading decided against it.

If you do get it let us know how they work. These would be real good for anyone with "hot flashes".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back