Do the Ety MC5/HF5 lose isolation when using foamies?
Oct 15, 2011 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DervishD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all :)

Just in case I finally decide to get the Ety MC5 or HF5 if and when I get the money, I have a question for you experts: do they lose much isolation when used with foamies?

I'm pretty sure I will have problems in my right ear with the silicone tips unless they can be inserted REALLY deep, and so I want to be prepared. The reason I'm planning to go with the Etys is their isolation and the shape of the housings, which is perfect for my ears.

Shallow insertion and silicone tips means the right bud will pop out from my ear in a matter of minutes, and foamies are the only way to go for me, so I'm curious about how much isolation I will lose because using foamies with these puppies.

And no, custom fits are not an option now, money-wise.

Thanks A LOT, dudes! :)

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 4
It's depend on the foamies size and you won't lose much isolation because they increase to fit tightly in the inner ear.

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, the first thing is Etymotic always required to be inserted deeply, so you are fine there. 2nd, Either stock Ety foam, Comply or Shure olive should provide just as good an isolation as the stock tri-flanges.

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 4
ZARIM, ClieOS, thank you for the reply :)

I was planning to use homemade foamies, which can be made pretty tight making the inner hole small enough, or maybe Shure olives. As a last resort, SoundMAGIC foamies, which are not very tight when warm but, to date, have provided me with more than enough isolation.

Deep insertion shouldn't be a problem, so it seems the Etys are a good option.

Thanks A LOT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back