Do the DT-770s need an amp? They sound like they do... (newbie question)
Oct 3, 2007 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sofakng

New Head-Fier
While I'm waiting for my HD-595s, I went out to a local store and purchased Beyer DT770 Pro/80's (they encouraged me to do so, and said to return them for a full refund if I liked my mail-ordered HD-595s better).

So far I REALLY like them! They are closed so they sound different than the open HD-595s but I can't tell which one I like better.

However, I'm able to max out the volume on my computer and the headphones only sound they should be at "normal" volume. Some songs are louder/quieter, but I couldn't max out the volume with my HD-595s or my ears would be bleeding.

Also, at low volumes the DT770's sound muddy or something.

Do I need an amplifier for these?

I know my source is completely garbage (onboard computer audio) but it's all I really have... (except for my Onyko VS-1015T-TXK receiver... which maybe I should try?)

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I'm waiting for my HD-595s, I went out to a local store and purchased Beyer DT770 Pro/80's (they encouraged me to do so, and said to return them for a full refund if I liked my mail-ordered HD-595s better).

So far I REALLY like them! They are closed so they sound different than the open HD-595s but I can't tell which one I like better.

However, I'm able to max out the volume on my computer and the headphones only sound they should be at "normal" volume. Some songs are louder/quieter, but I couldn't max out the volume with my HD-595s or my ears would be bleeding.

Also, at low volumes the DT770's sound muddy or something.

Do I need an amplifier for these?

I know my source is completely garbage (onboard computer audio) but it's all I really have... (except for my Onyko VS-1015T-TXK receiver... which maybe I should try?)

I think it would need an amp, seeing as its 80-ohms. But I don't know... This is just a guess.

The reason why its sounding muddy is probably due to your onboard audio.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 14
Try out your receiver, should give the headphone more power than your onboard audio. The DT770s, 80ohm version, although rated at 80ohm, sounds pretty muddy without an amp. When I had my friend's DT770, it sounded okay from my V6, but that was only because the source, like you, was onboard audio.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 14
I agree that they need more/clean power than one might imagine (like your Onkyo receiver...but it gets better than that!). My 770/80 sound pretty bad straight from my cheap Compaq laptop (headphone out) but come alive from my Meier Porta Corda w/ USB DAC.

I also feel that they need an amp that doesn't add warmth/bass as some do, this is why they pair so well with the super clean sounding Meier amp...with 30 volt power supply it's quite powerful.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 14
yeah, despite their impedance rating, they need an amp not just to achieve sufficient loudness but also to sound good

if you like them now you'll probably be even more impressed with them when you get a hold of an amp for them

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 14
Yeah, I just tried them on my receiver and they sound a LOT louder. I'm not really sure about quality though.

Should an amplifier (or my receiver) make it sound better at lower volumes too?

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 14
I had the same question inside my head before I got a pair of those...now that I did...check my sig.

I think it's one of the most common asked questions here. Well, I'm dedicating my sig space for it.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Should an amplifier (or my receiver) make it sound better at lower volumes too?

That depends on what your definition of "lower volumes" is. If you like to listen really loud at 85~90 dB then "lower" could be a normal volume of 70 dB...to which I will state- yes. Much below that and without bass heavy music I doubt that any difference would be noticed.

At borderline too loud volumes (85 dB+) is where a really nice amp will let the DT-770 deliver its slam in all its glory
basshead.gif

My DT-770 have the Darth Beyer mod and have very impressive bass for a headphone (imo). Without a good amp they simply don't deliver the goods.

..."OK" is not good enough.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #11 of 14
They do sound way better amped. I currently use the Go Vibe V6, which to me is a brightish amp, and paired with my friend's DT770s, they sound spectacular. They sound good enough that I'm buying a pair for myself and getting it Darthed after the New Years >:3

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 14
The T1 should power the DT770 fine, but I have never heard the T1 before, so I don't know how it would sound. If it's a warm amp, then it would make the DT770 more bassy, which might be something that isn't favored...since they're bassy enough.

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 14
I also run my dt770 out of onboard audio, and I have to say it leaves me wanting more. However I still like them alot.

Its just something I'll upgrade in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back