Do non audiophiles enjoy music more?
Apr 1, 2008 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

brown274

100+ Head-Fier
I have noticed that since I got my K701's and ripped all my stuff to wav, I somewhat stopped listening to the music for what it was and started to analyze how it was recorded, the quality of the highs and lows and so on.
So fast ford to a party I was at where people were listening to mp3's on $50 sets of speakers and were more happy with that set-up than I am mine. It seems like people that could care less about bit rates seem to enjoy the music more that someone that says, hey man... you should hear that cd on my setup... it sounds like they are in the same room as you.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 31
For me, I'd say it's the opposite. When I came here I had no idea I'd be buying headphones and amps, but I also would not have learned about so many great composers and artists.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 31
they get to know their likes and dislikes more i think. maybe i am one of them. i think audiophiles are more wrapped up in marketting and the merits of non-scientific advice.

it also matters by what you mean audiophiles. anyone with a hifi or portable or car stereo who listens rather often for enjoyment would be considered an audiophile. if it is just to drown out the terrible words of people around her, then perhaps the term audiophile would not apply.

if you mean people that spend heaps of money to argue and cry and then get those cryings smashed by someone with a bigger and better argument, then no, i think we don't listen enough to music properly. we listen, and forget about the music and get on with the arguing.

all of us would pass an english degree with flying colours in any university as well, we can moot anything at all.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 31
It really depends on the person. I love all the audiophile toys but all I really need a music playing. Any difference in quality of headphones is usually drowned out by my singing/humming. This site help me find quality items to listen to music but it didn't ruin the lo-fi experience because I listen to the music no the equipment.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 31
I think the most important factor is how deeply you understand music. If you read it or play an instrument, you get an entirely different appreciation. I'd think those who compose would understand music at an even deeper level. One of the reasons I've felt such a personal connection to classical music is because I've played it. I'm no professional, but have played in student and community orchestras.

And gear isn't everything. My car stereo is dead stock and is usually playing music ripped to AAC on an iPod. It doesn't sound as good as the home setup but I still enjoy it.

Apr 1, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 31
I would say no. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile but I do care that music sounds somewhat decent.

It doesn't usually stop me enjoying music but if something is really badly mastered/recorded (such as the Noisettes' debut album) then it does annoy me when I am relaxing to music. But then I can hear more of the makeup of music and not a mashup of noise - listen to most things on the radio and you only get the general tune.

I listen to the music and not my setup. And I've spent more on CD's than gear so that proves my point. Kinda
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 31
I was pondering the OP's question this week. I continued to get caught up in a semantic battle between the words 'listen' and 'hear'. Since joining this community, it appears to me that many forum members are listeners; they search for nuances to music that can only be revealed on higher end equipment. Listneing to me is an analytical approach to music appreciation. Any of the amp and headphone reviews demonstrate intense listening to evaluate equipment on several scales; to measure relative performance. Additionally, as Uncle Erik points out, "If you read it or play an instrument, you get an entirely different appreciation. I'd think those who compose would understand music at an even deeper level."

Hearing is what we all do. In my self-discussion, hearing is a version of music appreciation that does not involve critical analysis, but pure enjoyment of tune, beat, lyrics, etc. If we are enamored with a particular song and it plays on the radio or from an mp3 source on $50 speakers, we will still enjoy it (or, at least I would). The critical listening of the music is less important that hearing the music.

Music is a form or art, created to tap one's emotions. Neither a 'listener' or a 'hearer' necessarily has any less or greater appreciation of music; they both enjoy the music differently.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 31
This music lover loves music much more when he can hear more. For me that has only been possible by good equipment. The unfortunate part is is it is tiresome analyzing the music to hear the differences in the equipment.
It becomes much more pleasant to sit back and enjoy that until the urge to try a new flavor overwhelms me.
Unfortunately, an unending process. But fun!

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 31
I know from my own experience that it is easy to become so obsessed with audio gear that all the joy goes out of music listening. In the early 1990s I had about $13,000 worth of Theta digital and Aragon amplification and Snell loudspeakers. Audio neurosis took over. Truthfully, I now "enjoy" the music more on my Zune with a pair of Sennheiser PX 100s. I guess it just depends on how OCD a person tends to be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 31
If you cannot enjoy the pure beauty your system produces, something is clearly wrong with it (or you).

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 31
I personally think that the constant search for sound perfection is always there for those who listen to music regularly. The difference is that audiophiles take this search for sound perfection more seriously. This is perfectly understandable those who have the financial means to do that, but those that do not have that means, strive towards acheiving that in a more relaxed and tame manner. It nevertheless is still a constant pursuit that can never be tamed with newer technology coming out roughly every month. Those that have the financial means can constantly upgrade, but those that do not would just try to be satisfied with the quality of music they listen to.

Just my two cents on this subject, not meant to offend anyone. I'll still try to get my portable amp when i have the money though. After that i would just have to be satisfied with the sound i get.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 31
Breakfastchef's point is excellent. We forget that listening is very much active, not at all a passive enterprise. It is natural to analyze things more. One great thing about good music is that the more you hear a piece and the more you know about music, the more layers of pleasure and satisfaction you uncover.
The problem with that interferring with the enjoyment of music is more a matter of outlook on life than something intrinsic to audiophilia. Next time you listen and catch yourself over-analyzing, stop, take a deep breath, and for a moment just enjoy. You will like the feeling and do it more and more.
Being able to hear pleasant nuances to your sound can and should be a source of happiness, not chagrin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back