Do non audiophiles enjoy music more?
Apr 1, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 31
I came here looking to improve how my music sounds, and I've done that even by sticking to the very low Fi. CX300's into a 1st Gen Shuffle. I've got far more interested in my music now, and exploring more music than I did before. Then again I don't have the time or budget to go wild with gear so theres a natural limit to how far I can go with being picky about gear. At some point most (not all) of use have to accept a compromise.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 31
Oh my no. At least not in my case. The evaluation of the quality of the sound only comes in when I'm listening to new gear and deciding if it's worth it. Better sounding gear allows me to appreciate music more, but I never "listen to gear" outside of those circumstances. It's all about the music, even moreso now than ever before.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #18 of 31
I'm an audiophile, but the sole purpose of the equipment is to enjoy my music. I've spent MUCH more money on music than I have equipment. I enjoy understanding the mechanics of music reproduction, just like I enjoy understanding how music is made.

That said, I'm sometimes amazed at the poorly performed, poorly recorded and derivative music that people seem to play on their expensive gear. Some folks know a whole lot about the wrong end of the mule.

See ya
Steve

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's only temporary and part of the process. Eventually you stop listening to the gear and remember that it used to be about the music.

Recognizing you have a problem is the first step to recovery!

I agree with you completely. I couldn't have said it better. Sometimes we lose track of our final objective in our quest for it. When we accept the final goal is to listen to the music only, the gears help us in enjoying more without being too much attached to the gears. On second thought, I consider the exploration process is a lot of fun. And if someone gets his / her kicks from the gear frenzy, so be it
wink.gif

My 2 cents based on my experience.

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #20 of 31
I was just as happy listening to music before. A good song is a good song, no matter what it comes out of. The SQ is a nice bonus though.

I got a stock cassette player in my car, if anyone knows/remember what that is
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #21 of 31
I enjoy music whenever, with whoever, where ever.

If im by myself, ill use better gear, listen to higher bitrate music, I would enjoy the music, enjoy the gear. Sure, sometimes im studying the music, but its only natural.

If im with my friends, they dont know much about audio, but that doesnt mean i dont enjoy it as much as they do. They want bass? I'll give them bass. They want 128 or 192 bitrate? sure, why not.

Apr 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, I'm sometimes amazed at the poorly performed, poorly recorded and derivative music that people seem to play on their expensive gear. Some folks know a whole lot about the wrong end of the mule.

Amen to that
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #24 of 31
I was not meaning to put us audiophiles down by saying that we do not get as much out of music as do the " what is a bit rate" people. I just think that sometimes we think about our gear more than the music that our gear plays.
I recently enjoyed watching a friend listen to Eric Clapton unplugged on my ipod-lod-headsix-k701 and after he listened to lala, he said, well he really could not get words out.
As I will still try to get the best sq I can out of my set-up, I can really see why apple and other brands care more about gigs and screen size than they do sound quality. The general public does not care how it sounds.

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #26 of 31
I remember visiting an audiophile friend and he wanted to demo his system for me. He asked what I'd like to hear on it and I suggested some acoustic jazz. He scratched his head and said, "Does the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas record count?" I suggested classical and he said he had an audiophile record of John Williams movie scores. You should have seen the look on my face!

See ya
Steve

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #27 of 31
Yes, the more you spend on gear, the less you enjoy music, the less you know about music, the less you care about music, the less you listen to music, the less music you have in your collection, the poorer you musical tastes, and the more you analyze sound and reproduction techniques and all sorts of other distracting things.

But what most people aren't aware of is that there are further side effects that have just recently been diagnosed: the more you spend on gear, the less likely you'll have any friends, the more likely you'll be overweight, the more likely you'll have bad teeth, the more likely you'll wear women's clothes (if you're a man, or wear men's clothes if you're a woman), the more likely you'll have an unusually high concentration of back and neck hair, the more likely you'll have sexually transmitted diseases (especially those contracted from barn animals), and the more likely you'll be a complete idiot in every imaginable way that I haven't listed (don't want to forget anything).

Either that, or perhaps being an audiophile (and in particular, one who owns expensive gear) and being a music lover are not, in fact, mutually exclusive categories (notwithstanding the powerful forces of this urban legend here at Head-Fi).

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember visiting an audiophile friend and he wanted to demo his system for me. He asked what I'd like to hear on it and I suggested some acoustic jazz. He scratched his head and said, "Does the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas record count?" I suggested classical and he said he had an audiophile record of John Williams movie scores. You should have seen the look on my face!

See ya
Steve

John Williams is one of my favorite composers!
mad.gif

His recordings are always high quality.

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #30 of 31
I'm not (yet) an audiophile by any means, but I've found that my enjoyment of music has grown as I've bought better equipment. Now I don't only like fun, catchy songs but also well recorded, interesting recordings. It's just widened the breadth of music I enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back