Do my motherboard's SPDIF outputs go through the onboard sound card?
Jun 20, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #32 of 56
Jun 20, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #33 of 56

Quote:
This discussion shouldn't be: DAC through USB or Optical-out, but:

external DAC or internal Soundcard?!

I say internal Soundcard! When you use a high quality internal soudcard with a good computer power supply (low ripple Seasonic based units), the sound quality will be much better then when you use an external dac with your computer. External DACs (through USB or onboard SPDIF out) mostly sounds flat, lifeless and low-fi due high jitter caused by the computer clock. A good Internal soundcard have much better soundstage, emotion, warmth, bass response etc. It's just more musical.

Maybe if you spend a few 1000 dollars to the Ayre QB-9 async DAC you get the same performance like a high quality internal soundcard of 200-300 dollar.

That is one crappy post I have read, even my dog can tell the difference between an internal soundcard and a decent external usb DAC.

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #34 of 56
I can only conclude, IMO, that the bryston dac upsampling is inferior than CPU upsampling in my scenario.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #35 of 56
Quote:
I can only conclude, IMO, that the bryston dac upsampling is inferior than CPU upsampling in my scenario.
smile_phones.gif

That's right. But why feed the DAC with something different than 16/44.1 if that's the format of the music. You'll pretty sure get worse results from doing so.

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #36 of 56
It's measurable, an error in its measured output, when 176 upsampling is engaged - not adjustable, for all 44.1kh input.

I'll purchase an improved usb cable to replace my rusted unit.
blink.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #37 of 56
Quote:
That is one crappy post I have read, even my dog can tell the difference between an internal soundcard and a decent external usb DAC.

Dogs have a highly developed sense of hearing, much better than yours anyway. haha :D or was this supposed to be ironic?

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #39 of 56
@Alexander01 : try not to be a Creative Labs fanboy my friend, because an external DAC on a clean linear regulated PSU w/ galvanic isolation from the dirty PC ground makes all the difference in the world against an internal soundcard
popcorn.gif

But a good S/PDIF transport is not cheap...so add up the price of the DAC, its PSU, the transport, the S/PDIF cable....and yes the ROI compared to an external soundcard is low, but the SQ improvement is VERY much there.

Nothing can beat the ROI of the realtek's anyway
biggrin.gif

and Corsair PSU's are in the 5mV ripple region...a good audio PSU can go 0.00xx mV, like the TREAD: http://tangentsoft.net/elec/tread/

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #40 of 56
^ We'll be better off closing this thread now. t_t

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #42 of 56
So, after all, it was a lie when you said you put me on ignore. But that was obvious anyway.

No need to flame around here (as I said, better close this thread fast :D). Your attempts to be taken seriously remind me of the pathetic world cup match France - Mexico. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #43 of 56
Oh, you are on my list mein buddy...I just check from time to time, as I said you're an endless source of entertainment...moar plz 
biggrin.gif

I'm not suprised that you're a soccer fan, I personally prefer to watch female beach volleyball...soccer fans get what they deserve, hah

And to answer the OP, if you output coax from your mobo sound chip, you also output the dirty computer ground within your DAC...terrible idea. You really do need a pulse transformer to provide galvanic isolation over S/PDIF: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=galvanic+isolation+S%2FPDIF

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #44 of 56
Quote:
I just check from time to time

More pointless lies and putting words in others people mouth. I feel like talking to a brick (wall).

Seems like the OP has left this thread long ago, a good choice. Bye, happy flaming.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #45 of 56
@leeperry

Can't help but I just had good experiences with Creative cards because they always have the right sound signature and sound balance. Some time ago I listened to a Music Hall DAC25.2 on a Marantz PM-11S1 switching between high end speakers from Focal, JBL, Monitor Audio, KEF, TMA, Dali, Dynaudio, Wharfdale, Canton and B&W. I had my laptop connected to the Music Hall DAC and was playing some mp3's. I was not iimpressed by the sound of the external DAC. It sounded flat, low-fi and boring. Totally not the PRaT you have with a soundcard and tuned equalizer settings. I was missing the full sound, the energy, the big bass and the details in the high regions that i had with my Equalized Soundcard.

Since that time I believe you need to pay 2000 dollar for a DAC that has the same performance as a 200 dollar soundcard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back