Do more drivers make a better IEM?
Dec 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

taize

Head-Fier
People talk about the tripe fi, westone 3 etc being a better IEM than phones with double drivers yet I've been reading rave reveiws about the JH5 which has only two drivers.

What makes the double JH5 just as good as the triple phones such as friple fi, westone 3 etc?

I have some super fi pro's which I'm happy with (they are my first set of IEM's). I keep reading that the triple fi is much better - should I consider and upgrade?

Kym

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 17
More doesn't necessarily mean better. More drivers properly executed can definitely mean better. Maybe the JH5s are getting better reviews because they're designed by one of the most experienced custom IEM makers in the biz.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 17
Although I'm sure there's something to be said for multiple, frequency-specific drivers, I do get the feeling that IEMs are going the way of razors, where another blade seems to be tacked on every year or so.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 17
I'm not much into IEMs, but I'm a big proponent of singledrivers in headphones and speakers.

There are no perfect crossovers. The more you add, the wider the margin for distortion.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 17
Answer to your question is "yes" and "no"
More drivers:
Higher SPL - louder
More efficient - easier to drive (depend on impedance)
Better texturing and bass definition
Better separation and localization
Tend to sound "fun" (not all)

One driver:
Tend to sound accurate and natural
Less SPL/less efficient
May have not enough bass or trebles
Less distortions due to lack of cross-overs or pass filters

TF10 are by far better than SF5Pro. But If you don't want spend like $200 for TF buy Audeo and you should be fine. I downgraded my SF5P to Audeos and never regretted it. SF5Pro is an old construcion now and there're many better earphopnes on the market

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 17
If the crossovers are done well, I would say generally yes, more drivers are better. W3 is the best example of this in universals as all frequecies sound so together and cohesive.

I have not heard many dynamic drivers but with all single driver armatures, to me they all sound like IEM's whereas the multi-drivers sound more like headphones.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Answer to your question is "yes" and "no"
More drivers:
Higher SPL - louder

SF5Pro is an old construcion now and there're many better earphopnes on the market

what does SPL stand for?

When you say old constuction what do you mean? Are the drivers in the TP a different technology to the SF5pro?

Kym- who is still learning

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 17
not always but depends how its implemented and what you are looking for.
Take for instance JH10X3 (3 drivers) vs. JH13 (6 drivers). The 10X3 is amazing..to me, better than any universal, period (and I've only heard the universal demo unit). But the jump to the 13's, the difference, is just so noticible, really its a beautiful implementation and thus creation, and in this case, more does definately equal better

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 17
Search the threads on the Ortofon E-Q7, and that should adequately answer your question. Happy listening.

EricP
beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 17
piotrus-g, how can more drivers be easier to drive than one driver?

You are right that some drivers are more efficient than others, but adding more of something does not increase efficiency. The more there are, the more power is required, generally speaking.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 17
i guess we have to consider the curiosity factor as well, who doesnt want to know how a 6 driver sounds
tongue.gif
. But it is an interesting note about he JH13 and 10X3. i also tried the JH line as demos and those 2 were the easy standouts.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
piotrus-g, how can more drivers be easier to drive than one driver?

You are right that some drivers are more efficient than others, but adding more of something does not increase efficiency. The more there are, the more power is required, generally speaking.

I meant, every multi-drivers earphones will sound good enough without amp straight from player like TF10 while Audeo which also have 32 Ohms sound best with amplification. It's easier to drive TF10 then Audeo

When I said SF5P is an old construction I meant that transducers used are not the best for the price (see ADDIEM). TF10 have other transducers and still they are one of the best Universals on the market.

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #15 of 17
I guess it largely depends on the sound signature that the manufacturer makes. The tf10 sounds dark and veiled to me, while the single driver ortofon e-q7 sounds amazing crystal clear with a tight punchy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back