Do in need a DAP?
Jul 29, 2021 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PakoBoy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a question regarding DAP vs DAC. I know there have been some posts about it and I have done some research, but I still have questions.

Till now I have read a lot about the advantages and disadvantages using a DAP vs DAC, but most of them are about the practicality. I am manly interested in the sound quality, especially in my situation.

A few years ago I had a iPod (rockbox) combined with a VentureCraft DG03. Now I want to replace it because of the battery life. I would prefer a USB C dac, but if the sound quality is better on a DAP I am willing to buy a DAP. But my budget is around €100. Will a a DAP like Zishan (Z2/Z3), Xduoo X2 or shanling m0 better in sound quality then a Sonata HD USB-C or Loconaq A1. If I am not mistaking the Loconaq A1 uses an AK4493-chip and one of the Zishan does as well. So the sound quality should be the same.

The most IEM's I use are around €50-€100 (Vsonic's, Brainwavz's, Sony MH1, TDK IE800) and the Shure SE535 and ATH-CKR100iS.

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 4
There was a time where some phones/android versions had a problem with USB audio and those reports still float around the internet.

Generally for a given budget a DAC (with a new-ish phone) will sound better than a DAP for the same source file, after all a DAP has to have storage, a screen and a DAC inside it.

There are some (super) hi-res file formats that might not play on your phone and your phone may have less capacity than a DAP. For about £100 a Fiio BTR5 handles anything my phone or PC can throw at it. It drives my Shure SE535's as well as anyone could ask through its balanced output. I have an older ES100, that while overshadowed by the BTR5/Shure SE535, still holds its own in bluetooth mode with Shure SE215's as my cheap/gym/workout set-up.

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, it's a game of parts cost. With a DAC, you don't need the screen and all that stuff required to run one (UI included). Means you can invest much more in the stuff that matters for this application.

DAPs are convenient, sure, but you gotta understand you're paying extra for stuff that has nothing to do with the DAC itself. If that matters to you, just go the DAC route. USB dongle DACs are getting insanely good and there's a great variety out there.

Aug 2, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you very much for your inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back