Do IEM'S consider as more accurate than full size headphones in general?
Sep 17, 2010 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
I am interested in an answer to this question.  do iem's consider by most to be more appropriate for monitoring than full size headphones?   
I have the HF5 for about 3 weeks now and i must say that these babies are the most neutral and balanced sounding headphones i heard to date. they are also my best sounding headphones right now in every aspect except soundstage ...but i really don't care about that at all.
another question i have is: what another iem's can compete with the ety's in terms of accurate sound?  

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 5
In my personal opinion, NO! Full-sized headphones with their much larger drivers generally produce much more accurate bass and treble--even my old Sony MDR-V6 (which recently got a new set of earpads) still sounds way better than the vast majority of IEM's out there.

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
In my personal opinion, NO! Full-sized headphones with their much larger drivers generally produce much more accurate bass and treble--even my old Sony MDR-V6 (which recently got a new set of earpads) still sounds way better than the vast majority of IEM's out there.

thanks for the response.   what do you mean exactly by "more accurate bass and treble"..?
are you reffering to the frequency extention...neutrality?  or are you talking about the texture?
in another words...let's say that two headphones are producing 19khz frequency for example...is it possible that one of them produce that frequency in more accurate texture?
that means that neutrality is not all about frequency range...isn't it?

this is getting a little bit into science territory but i will try to keep it low on this because this is the iem's forum and not the science.

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 5
JH Audio. There are cans that are better than ETs. Beyer DT931 for instance and probably the t1000 though I haven't heard them in good enough conditions to be sure. What do you prefer over your RS1s and could it be source related? There's a certain weight and texture to the sound that HF5s still could use though They don't so much lack bass but are a bit overdamped in bass character. I completely agree about their overall goodness and could also live happily ever after with HF5s. I actually find them more enjoyable overall to 4Ps which are just a bit too etched. In general, I'd say open can presentation is preferred but the HF5 is better than most.

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
JH Audio. There are cans that are better than ETs. Beyer DT931 for instance and probably the t1000 though I haven't heard them in good enough conditions to be sure. What do you prefer over your RS1s and could it be source related? There's a certain weight and texture to the sound that HF5s still could use though They don't so much lack bass but are a bit overdamped in bass character. I completely agree about their overall goodness and could also live happily ever after with HF5s. I actually find them more enjoyable overall to 4Ps which are just a bit too etched. In general, I'd say open can presentation is preferred but the HF5 is better than most.

what do you mean by etched (from the 4ps comment)?  excuse me for my little low english

Users who are viewing this thread

Back