Do i need to get a portable AMP?
Sep 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NewbieKiddo

New Head-Fier
I am currently using a Sony Walkman E455. I still dun know if i should get a FiiO E11 to go. I am currently using the stock earpieces. Probably plan to get a Sony XBA. Any suggestions?

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 13
With stock earbuds? Why would you even consider it? Get headphones first. If you don't get enough volume, get an amp.

To clarify, 95% of the sound you're going to get is because of the headphones. DACs and amps do considerably less for the audible sound for the price. They're a necessity in certain situations, but for beginners do not prioritize them over the headphones.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 13
Not jsut volume. If you pick out headphones or IEMs that based on reviews might be something that you like, but sound lifeless without an amp, you might need one. Although you might at that point just check out a different pair instead of an amp.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 13
Well, I am currently confused. Some people said, an amp is to fully use the sound of the earpieces. While others say the amp may affect the sound quality as the sound quality is of the lowest standard

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 13
I am new to headphones/earphones as well.  With my experimentation so far I am inclined to agree with head injury in that you should get a earphone that you like then think about amping.  I enjoy my westone UM3X unmapped from my cowon S9 and Sansa Fuze.  I have amped them with my ibasso D12 and FIIO E5 and they do get louder, but it doesn't change the sound that much.  I am running OPA 1611 opamps with dummy buffers through my D12 and I can only hear a difference in sound when I change the source, i.e fuze, cowon, macbook pro via optical.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 13
Your money would be better justified if spent on earphones. I don't really see the point of getting an amp unless you have a really good earphone or in ear monitor that is hard to drive.

In the world of audiophile, it is always better to not give too much credit to what other people say. Instead, you should always trust your ears. You don't read music, you listen to it. If you want, start listening to lossless songs (ape, flac, wav, alac, etc) or at least higher bitrate mp3, then get better earphones. By then if you are still not happy, then get a better source before you start to consider getting an amp.

Then again, with the abundance of cheap Fiio amp, if you have 100 bucks, it wouldn't really harm to get a cheap one to be used with the LO of the player.

Typical problem with small portable is the lack of control of bass at the lowest register, or the lack of punch or the lack of extension, both on the low and high (usually the low end). I remember from memory that Sony walkman series has plenty of bass, not sure about the extension though. Even if the player can extend to those frequencies, the earphone has its roll off too. It'd better to identify the weakness in the chain and improve step by step.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Well, I am currently confused. Some people said, an amp is to fully use the sound of the earpieces. While others say the amp may affect the sound quality as the sound quality is of the lowest standard

The only way you can drastically reduce the sound because of the amp is if you are using an amp with a distortion characteristic that while not necessarily "bad" sounding is still distortion, but you might like it, just like the people who appreciate the stereotypical tube amp. While it's possible that an amp could have the "sound of the lowest standard" there are enough threads here to tell you which ones to stay away from, but I don't see how a cheap CMOY kit can be far worse than most built-in amp circuits on mass-market DAPs. At the very least it may be that 1) the frequency response is far from balanced, so the added current is negated; 2) your earphones probably didn't need an amp in the first place because it's sensitive enough to get loud and doesn't present a complex enough load to require much more current; or 3) your DAP does not have a dedicated lineout, its headphone out has audible distortion and you are using that to drive an amp when the two have badly matched impedances.

So going back to your earphones...but the best that you like based on the sound and worry about amping later if it sounds lifeless. Take note that even head/earphones that are said to be "analytical" or "sterile" if they're good 'phones aren't meant to be completely boring. An amp adds current to move and control the drivers fast enough and also to control distortion when you need to go louder.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 13
Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I will go hunt for the right earphones now 
etysmile.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 13
Just thought I would drop my opinion in. You need to focus on what kind of music files you are using to listen to and then headphones/iem's. If you are listening to 128kbps or lower or even 256 kbps then good headphones/ iems will bring out the worst in the music. Fix your source so you can really tell a difference with better cans.

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Just thought I would drop my opinion in. You need to focus on what kind of music files you are using to listen to and then headphones/iem's. If you are listening to 128kbps or lower or even 256 kbps then good headphones/ iems will bring out the worst in the music. Fix your source so you can really tell a difference with better cans.

Regardless of if his source is 128kbps or lossless, a pair of good earbuds/headphones will still sound miles better than stock earbuds.

Even with good headphones (especially for those who just got their first decent pair) you only realize those artifacts in low-bitrate MP3s when you have heard the same song (or similar songs) with a higher bitrate.

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 13
Don't spend money on amps and DACs, get a better headphone first.  Trust me.

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 13
A chep suggestion would be Senn PX 100 or Koss Porta Pro...it will give you a instant upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back