Do I need an amp? (iPod 5G, Senn HD25-1, Atrio M5)
Dec 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tuan2195

Head-Fier
As the title said, would I benefit from getting an Amp+LOD for the above-mentioned system? Or would the improvement be neglible?
I am on Rockbox fyi, and the system currently sounds fine to me.

And if I should get an amp, then which one should I get? I'm looking at the Fiio E11 or a CMoy AD823 but I'm not sure if it's a good choice.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
As the title said, would I benefit from getting an Amp+LOD for the above-mentioned system? Or would the improvement be neglible?
I am on Rockbox fyi, and the system currently sounds fine to me.

And if I should get an amp, then which one should I get? I'm looking at the Fiio E11 or a CMoy AD823 but I'm not sure if it's a good choice.

You might get a minor improvement with the E11/LOD cable.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
So do you think that it'd be worth the extra cash or would it just add bulk to it?

Does the iPod 5G use the older 30-pin LOD port or the newer 8-pin lighting port?

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
It uses the old 30-pin port. By iPod 5G i mean it's the iPod video 5th generation.

So the Fiio E11 with a Fiio L (LOD) cable might make a noticeable difference.
Personally, I would buy the Fiio E11 to try it with the iPod Video G5.
I would assume the Fiio E11's amplifier is better then the iPod's, just have no idea if it would improve the HD25-1)

(Technically, I already own the E11 and have used it to drive 250-Ohm headphones)

Talk to Fiio E11 owners on this thread, I'm sure some of them have used or are using the E11 with their portable apple device.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/552605/fiio-e11-the-initial-impression-final-thought

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 9
My Tralucent T1 tightens up the boominess in the HD 25 a bit and improves the definition a tiny bit. It's not a day-and-night kind of thing. I can't say one way or the other if one of the fine Fiio products would have the same benefit.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Does the iPod 5G use the older 30-pin LOD port or the newer 8-pin lighting port?

Quote:
It uses the old 30-pin port. By iPod 5G i mean it's the iPod video 5th generation.

FYI, the new iPod Touch 5G uses the new lightning port, and this is why I am waiting on the V-moda Verza for mine.  BTW, I would get the E7 over the E11 as the price is not that much different from Amazon (like 3 bucks.)  I was going to recommend the E17, but I don't think your setup needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back