Do I need an amp for Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250?
Nov 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rhcpepper

New Head-Fier
So I am buying these to use for my computer. My motherboard is an Asus M5A99fx Pro, and I have no idea what it has in it for DAC or amp although it seems really good and I would think it should cause its a pretty new mobo, but then again my current headphones (Ultrasone DJ1) are easy to drive anyways. If anyone can shed some light on the mobo sound specs that would be awesome.
So can I drive these? Or do I need an amp. I already have an idea of the amp I want, Schiit Magni as I've read good reviews and it is the most I can spend on an amp.
Suggestions are appreciated, thanks :)

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 14
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box) sound card ,Newegg has it for $74.99, with free shipping.
Should resolve your issue.

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 14
What it the difference between that and the $57 70SB150200000 version?

I guess the SB1502 is the OEM version, where as the SB1500 comes in a retail box (with mic and EMI shield)
I believe the SB1502 does not comes with an EMI shield or microphone.

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 14
Do I NEED an EMI shield?

The SB1500 on sale is only $18 more then the OEM version, normally the retail version would be $42 more.
Personally I would prefer to get the one with the EMI shield.

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 14
So I went with the cheaper version... I received it yesterday, and I disabled and completely uninstalled the on-board sound stuff and installed the Sound Blaster Z. Everything was good at first, sound was perfect, it drives the DT990s nicely :)
But then today I notice when I start games (Far Cry 3 especially) I get a buzzing noise in the headphones that seems to change depending on how much work the graphics card is doing. Tried restarting, taking the card out and putting back in, unplugging/plugging everything, etc. and the sound still persists when I start a game.
I have read around and people were saying that sound cards and graphics cards interfere a lot... and that an EMI shield can help. Man now I regret not paying the extra $18 hahaha.
So... what should I do? Return it and try the one with the EMI shield and see if it fixes it? Just stay with on-board audio and get an amp?

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 14
  So I went with the cheaper version... I received it yesterday, and I disabled and completely uninstalled the on-board sound stuff and installed the Sound Blaster Z. Everything was good at first, sound was perfect, it drives the DT990s nicely :)
But then today I notice when I start games (Far Cry 3 especially) I get a buzzing noise in the headphones that seems to change depending on how much work the graphics card is doing. Tried restarting, taking the card out and putting back in, unplugging/plugging everything, etc. and the sound still persists when I start a game.
I have read around and people were saying that sound cards and graphics cards interfere a lot... and that an EMI shield can help. Man now I regret not paying the extra $18 hahaha.
So... what should I do? Return it and try the one with the EMI shield and see if it fixes it? Just stay with on-board audio and get an amp?

Return and pay the extra $18.

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #10 of 14
I would recommend the shielded one. Are you using the front panel for your headphones or the dedicated headphone jack in the back?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 14
Well the front panel doesn't use the amp, and most computer's front panels aren't grounded properly and are very noisy.  I recommend just using a 3.5mm extension cable for your headphones.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 14
  Well the front panel doesn't use the amp, and most computer's front panels aren't grounded properly and are very noisy.  I recommend just using a 3.5mm extension cable for your headphones.

The headphone amplifier built into the SB-Z works with the front panel headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back