Do I need a headphone amp? (n00b)
Jun 3, 2009 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FrankBoothSexyTime

New Head-Fier
Got a some AKG 701's a few months ago and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. While I think they sound great now I would do anything to improve upon it. So will getting an amp really make that much of a difference?

I was looking at either the Doge 6120 or the darkvoice 336SE. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 16
This thread's been done hundreds of times. I like my K702s with my M3. Yes, they badly need an amp, and a good one at that. They'll still sound like AKGs, but a bit better. You either like the sound or you don't.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 16
Yes, the K-701 will greatly improve with an amp.

Unfortunately, the low cost, high output impedance, OTL tube amps aren't that good at driving AKGs. You're better off with a transformer couple tube amp or a solid state amp - both can offer the lower output impedance you need to match the K-701. Output transformers - especially good ones - will cost at least $200-$300 more.

So if you're trying to keep costs down, go with solid state. No, it doesn't glow in the dark, but solid state needs some image rehab around here. After a steady diet of tubes for awhile, I really loved some of the solid state gear at CanJam. I think the next project will be the Beta22 I've been putting off.

The Beta22 is above your budget, but you could get the Gilmore Lite, M^3, CK2III, or the EC/SS. They're pretty damn good and will improve your K-701.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 16
Yeah, my K702s sounded a little weird with my DV336SE. The cheapest tube option is probably the Woo6 at $600 or so, that's transformer coupled so it works better with low impedance cans.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the K-701 will greatly improve with an amp.

Unfortunately, the low cost, high output impedance, OTL tube amps aren't that good at driving AKGs. You're better off with a transformer couple tube amp or a solid state amp - both can offer the lower output impedance you need to match the K-701. Output transformers - especially good ones - will cost at least $200-$300 more.

So if you're trying to keep costs down, go with solid state. No, it doesn't glow in the dark, but solid state needs some image rehab around here. After a steady diet of tubes for awhile, I really loved some of the solid state gear at CanJam. I think the next project will be the Beta22 I've been putting off.

The Beta22 is above your budget, but you could get the Gilmore Lite, M^3, CK2III, or the EC/SS. They're pretty damn good and will improve your K-701.

Or, a hybrid offers a tube in the signal path, with the nice, low output impedance of sand state.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 16
^true. There are also pretty many offerings in the DIY category for hybrids -- most of them at cavalli audio. The Soha II, CTH etch. Then there is the Milett Max. That said, I enjoy my CK2III more than both the Soha and the milett, and the beta 22 is my next project.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 16
K701 definitely needs an amp. It can be driven properly with the Audio GD C-2C, better yet if you get to try it with a Beta 22
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heed Canamp
Graham Slee Solo
EF-1

x 2 on the Heed Amp

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 16
Question about amps: Will an amp replace my sound card?

I have a creative titanium card which was bought purely for gaming and music. From my noobie knowledge, an amp gives power to high ohm headphones. Wouldn't it then be possible to plug in a headset (DT 880) into an amp which will be plugged into my creative sound card so I can use the sound card features? (CMSS-3D, crystalizer, overall quality of soundcard) I would like to keep my sound card at all costs..especially for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back