Do I need a dedicated sound card?
Jul 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Andrew1526

New Head-Fier
I plan on now doing audio out of my computers integrated optic SPDIF out. I have a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard, so that is the output I will be running to a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC w/ OPA627 OpAmp & GE 5670 Tube, and from there to my HD650's. I'll be using mostly CD's, played with a LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM. Do you think I need a sound card in addition to this? Or would the difference be negligable?

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I plan on now doing audio out of my computers integrated optic SPDIF out. I have a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard, so that is the output I will be running to a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC w/ OPA627 OpAmp & GE 5670 Tube, and from there to my HD650's. I'll be using mostly CD's, played with a LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM. Do you think I need a sound card in addition to this? Or would the difference be negligable?

If all you doing is music, should be fine.
If you want headphone surround sound for movies or gaming, add an Xonar DX (PCI-E) or Xonar D1(PCI) sound card
They both come with optical output
Used one go for around $55.

I'm guessing someone will come along and try to talk you into getting an external USB/Optical converter.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
What do you mean by headphone surround sound. You mean sound beyond what audio producers intended? Like extra processing of the sound?

Movies and games can have up to 7.1 channel surround sound.
Usually motherboard,s built in audio is of a low cost quality and features.
Now if all your doing is music, which is 2-channel and your outputing the digital to an external source, you do not really need anything added on.
On-board audio may even do a decent job of processing surround sound (5.1 or 7.1) for movies and games.

Usually add-on sound cards come with better DACs then on-board, but does not matter in your case.
Add-on sound cards can come with Dolby support and DVD & Blu-ray movies use Dolby.

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
What do you mean by headphone surround sound. You mean sound beyond what audio producers intended? Like extra processing of the sound?

It's more complicated than that. You could read my PC gaming audio guide for the details.

The gist of it is that older PC games were designed to be played on PCs with sound cards that had hardware DSPs that could add reverb/chorus/occlusion/etc. effects as the game developers best saw fit. Without the DSP features, the effects go missing, and it's NOT as the developers intended it to sound anymore.

Newer PC games (roughly everything from 2007 onward) do everything in software these days, so you aren't really missing any audio effects...but for headphone use, the software mixers in use treat them as only capable of one-dimensional left/right stereo panning. You have no cues of front and rear, let alone above and below. That's what technologies like CMSS-3D Headphone and Dolby Headphone provide.

Ironically, the former works even better under the old hardware-accelerated audio APIs because with the way they worked, they sent the 3DPA data to the sound card for mixing instead of pre-mixing and then sending to the sound card driver like current games do, resulting in a virtual 5.1/7.1 setup. No sense of height whatsoever that way.

Isn't the song from games usually bad quality? So it won't matter that much right? If you have a good IEM or not?

Sound effects and music in games generally aren't presented to audiophile standards, to put it nicely, but that doesn't mean you won't benefit from a sound card and the right set of headphones. There's a reason my PC gaming audio guide and Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone guide exist in the first place.

Long story short, some headphones bring out positional cues from binaural mixes like no other. It's like being right there in the action, having an aural wallhack of sorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back