Do I have a fake Audioquest OptiLink-1? (UPDATE: Cable is real)
Sep 9, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #16 of 41
I got a reply from the seller. As expected, he did not admit that my OptiLink-1 is a fake. Here's his reply (not edited):

Hi,
Hi,
I need to say that you are my second customer to say our cable not genuine(the first one bought Type-4 before).He told me the AQ web shows the type 4 is not same as our plug.Do you know AQ has change the cables style few times before?(in these few years),some with CF-UST banana plug, and some with factory sealed banana plug and other..
And he bring to local Hi Fi shop, then told us again it is not the same.At last,I told him don't tell them "I bought it from E-bay",because you know so many people think E-bay has fake item,and they will not "open the eyes" to check it seriously,just will tell you "of course it is not Genuine !",then said" you need to buy from official only",I think you know what I'm saying.
About The first customer become our old customer now.
I suggest you take the cable to your local official AQ dealer to check it.But pls ask the expert, not ask the beginner.And pls be fair to us,just ask them like this : " I bought it from A local Hi-Fi 2nd shop, and it is original with box before,is it Genuine ?".Then you will know the REAL answer and know our products are 300% GENUINE !!
You know, If official dealer, they don't like people selling their items with these low price and not buy from them also.Business on Business.
"On the genuine cable, it's looks like the top of the lettering is 3/4 down, from the top of the connector plug, to the first ring; On the one on the right, it looks closer to 2/3 of the way down" --Do you know what version (I mean which year products)you saw before?I tell you that, not just that little change ! the old version's English words is a bit thin ,the Blue colur is a bit change and the cable's surface cloth has change also, the colour is a bit change.

The cable which we got is about 2-2008 to 5-2008.I cannot say it is the most updated version.But so new.
We are welcom to refund or replace to you if the product has problem of defect,damage (of course not make it from you)or you want longer length.BUT, if you said our cable are not GENUINE,we are not Happy about it !!!!
I'm selling GENUINE cable over 3 years(over 1.5years on Web),You think other customer are all Beginner??I don't think so.Even some of them had bought the AQ cable from US local Off shop already.
And We sold out Optilink-1(1M or 2M) over 80pcs,Optilink-3 and 5 over 50 pcs in these years.
Again, Pls take the cable to check it or compare the sound with friends optilink-1.
I wait for your answer and no time limit to tell .
*Pls don't compare us to those other Asia seller.We are so serious on our selling !!
another example to you, check the HDMI-1 on AQ web,then compare it to the real cable on hand,you will found that the colur is BIG different (the web showed light blue and the real cabel is dark blue)& the Plug's gold plated area is a bit different.Is that not Genuine also?Of course not.
Regards
[seller's name removed]

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #17 of 41
i don't understand.

how is it possible that this seller has all these AQ cables - lots of multiple pairs too - and all are "genuine and new but just without box." if he can offer a credible explanation for this, then fine. but if not, then this points to the items being fake.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #18 of 41
As said earlier, even if its copy, for digital quality cables make little or no difference anyways.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #19 of 41
The seller is right in that AQ has made small changes over the years with some of there cables.The AQ power cords for example.I highly doubt it's fake just two different versions.

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't understand.

how is it possible that this seller has all these AQ cables - lots of multiple pairs too - and all are "genuine and new but just without box." if he can offer a credible explanation for this, then fine. but if not, then this points to the items being fake.

I have bought loads of AR cables from ebay from different sellers some with and some without boxes , some overstocks , some customer returns, some used. They have always been physically identical in shape, gauge , lettering, connectors and colour regardless of packaging and what have you.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #21 of 41
But the seller is 300% genuine - they must be OK
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the seller is 300% genuine - they must be OK
wink.gif

i missed that part. okay then, they're legit.
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #24 of 41
300% genuine BS, IMO
eek.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I need to say that you are my second customer to say our cable not genuine(the first one bought Type-4 before).He told me the AQ web shows the type 4 is not same as our plug.Do you know AQ has change the cables style few times before?(in these few years),some with CF-UST banana plug, and some with factory sealed banana plug and other..
And he bring to local Hi Fi shop, then told us again it is not the same.At last,I told him don't tell them "I bought it from E-bay",because you know so many people think E-bay has fake item,and they will not "open the eyes" to check it seriously,just will tell you "of course it is not Genuine !",then said" you need to buy from official only",I think you know what I'm saying.
About The first customer become our old customer now.
I suggest you take the cable to your local official AQ dealer to check it.But pls ask the expert, not ask the beginner.And pls be fair to us,just ask them like this : " I bought it from A local Hi-Fi 2nd shop, and it is original with box before,is it Genuine ?".Then you will know the REAL answer and know our products are 300% GENUINE !!
The cable which we got is about 2-2008 to 5-2008.I cannot say it is the most updated version.But so new.
We are welcom to refund or replace to you if the product has problem of defect,damage (of course not make it from you)or you want longer length.BUT, if you said our cable are not GENUINE,we are not Happy about it !!!!

Highlighted sections that are wrong. Introducing this bias will skew the results. Exactly what the seller says too, that if you said you bought it on ebay then the AQ dealer will think of it as fake right away, but it works both ways. If you tell the dealer you bought it from an authorized dealer with a box, that would also give the wrong information. It's best not to say anything at all about where you got the cable if you are taking it to an AQ dealer.

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #28 of 41
they look fake to me, as a rule of thumb, usually, if you have to guess whether they are fake, then they are!

i had a similar issue with sen mx500's - and it looks akin to those, with the printed text and finish and details - something just isnt right!

frown.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #29 of 41
I sent an email and the photo to AudioQuest last night. I will post their reply here when I receive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back