Do I get Sennheiser ie8 or Shure 535 (or 535 limited edition)
Feb 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ajc80

New Head-Fier
Hi All - I recently left my Sennheiser ie8's on a plane and have been unable to retrieve them. I've managed to claim on my insurance and so I'm on the hunt for some new ones.

I could be safe and get the Senns again, but I'm interested in the Shure 535 or even the 535 limited edition buds and I really can't make my mind up especially given I'll have these for at least a couple of years again.

My concerns with the Sennheiser ie8's was the bass could be too much at times, to the point where I couldn't be bothered to use them as the sound can be thick, but on the other hand I enjoyed them so much for their bass as I've never had a pair of headphones that produced such amazing sound. It is this that's leading me to think I need a more balanced set of earphones, with strong bass, but not as thick-a-sound.

I've read lots of reviews on the Shure 535's and the majority of them rave about them, but some say they're very trebly and not too bassy. I'm worried that I'd miss the bass from the Senns, and feel like I end up with a trebly pair of earphones.

I use the earphones to listen to a range of music from Adele, Florence and the Machine to Foo Fighters, as well as a little bit of classical and jazz (not often though). I also watch films with them on the train/plane quite frequently and loved the home theatre sound from the Senns.

Advice I'm looking for:
- How does the bass rate on the Shure 535's, is it like the minimum bass setting on the Senns or is it less (turning the screw thing in the earbud)?
- Do the Shure's sound trebly?
- Are the Shure's worth the extra money over the Senn's (about £80 difference or £120 on the limited editions)
- Is there much difference between the 535's and the 535 limited edition's, and which would suit me better given the above?

Your advice would be warmly welcomed for this big decision.

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi...i think that i can help you because i was in the same situation some time ago...I did not lost my ie8 but i wanted an upgrade...so i decided to go to se535...
From the moment i bought them i have a smile in my face...everything is just better comparing to the ie8...the mid bass hump of the ie8 is gone...the 535 have better highs and by far better mids...everything is more balanced...the bass is there too,with good impact but not overpowered...
Some people say that the 535 bass is not enough but to my ears coming from a bass heavy iem (ie8) the bass of the se535 is more than enough...controlled and impactfull...
I also bought the custom beat audio cable "silver sonic" and the soung could not became any better...
But this is MY opinion...we all have different ears
regular_smile%20.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Advice I'm looking for:
- How does the bass rate on the Shure 535's, is it like the minimum bass setting on the Senns or is it less (turning the screw thing in the earbud)?
- Do the Shure's sound trebly?
- Are the Shure's worth the extra money over the Senn's (about £80 difference or £120 on the limited editions)
- Is there much difference between the 535's and the 535 limited edition's, and which would suit me better given the above?

-Bass is certainly lower on SE535LTD than the minimum setting of IE8. I found myself EQing bass up on my SE535LTD, and slightly down with IE8. But I'm not a basshead so it's fine.

-SE535LTD certainly doesn't sound "trebly", more like "midly" with a flat EQ.
wink.gif

-I can't think of more opposite signatures than IE8 and SE535LTD. Some people praise IE8/IE80 above all (out-of-the-head soundstage with big bass) and others prefers SE535LTD for their mids and their amazing instrument separation. I didn't like IE8 at all, but this is just me, you'll find as many people prefering IE8.

-For the substantial difference thing, I only have the SE535 Limited Edition, and so far, so good. Amazing mids, good treble, ok bass, excellent separation. But I had to make them more dynamic by EQing with a slight V-shape, otherwise they're really sound too mid-centered for my taste.

I'm really curious how you ended up with this selection of IEMs. Both of them really have peculiar signatures, and turning from IE8 to SE535LTD is a big move.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 12
there is a new version of the IE8 called the IE80 if you didnt know. The mid bass hump is gone and the sound is better compared to the IE8.
IE80 would be a good bet.
I've heard the 535 before,but it just sounded weird to me from what i recall. ( normal and untrained ears. xD )

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 12
Hay thanks - I've just seen these today. I'll take a look - I did see something about them being a strange brown colour, with silver backs and black cable. Is this true?

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the reply - I haven't got the 535 or 535LTD, I only had the IE8 but feel like a change so wondering if I should switch to Shure from Senn. Feels like a big move though from what you have said. Is it worth punt when spending so much?

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Thanks for the reply - I haven't got the 535 or 535LTD, I only had the IE8 but feel like a change so wondering if I should switch to Shure from Senn. Feels like a big move though from what you have said. Is it worth punt when spending so much?

You could also go for Westone UM3X or UM3X-RC. Slightly less expensive than SE535LTD, and a bit more conventional (excellent mids but less in your face than with SE535LTD).
Still a big move, but less extreme.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for all the feedback - I've been researching and researching and actually after reading a lot of the forums I think it's the sound of a dynamic driver that I love. I had some Ultimate Ears before the Senns and I really did prefer the sound of the Senns - that movement of air adds a dynamic you don't expect from in ears. I get the feeling the sound signature of the Shures might be a mistake for me and I've started on the hunt for great dynamic driver phones. The candidate that keeps catching my attention are the Unique Melody Merlins, but it's certainly a step up in price and experience, as I've not done the customs before. The 1964Q's also look interesting, but don't have the dynamic driver.

I'll keep you posted, and hopefully do a first review on head-fi.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #11 of 12
While the SE535's rich and buttery midrange wins out over the IE8, the ultra-wide soundstage of the IE8 is really quite something. Also I found that the treble extension on the IE8 was better than the SE535's roll-off. If they really did get rid of the midbass hump on the IE80, then that would tilt it in the IE80's favor.

May 29, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 12
what i can say for 535 is that they are accurate (according to me).the bass not less or more just standart (hit right in the spot for me).
and for the highs very good actually not to bright for my taste.
if you prefer bass of all go for ie8
if you prefer accurate go for 535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back