Do headphones plug your ears?
Jul 14, 2006 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

skurge13

New Head-Fier
What I mean is, you know how your ears get stuffed when you go up in altitude? That's the feeling I get when I use my docs. Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem? Any solution (besides not wearing headphones I mean)?

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 24
I don't have any trouble with normal headphones but I do have that problem with canalphones, that's why I sold my CX300's. They sounded great, but after wearing them for a relatively short period of time they would create exactly the phenomenon that you described. I also have this problem when I fly and have always attributed it to bad sinuses.

Jul 16, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 24
I occasionally encounter that feeling with headphones, but only when I have a cold.

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by skurge13
Any solution (besides not wearing headphones I mean)?

Is that a solution in the first place???
tongue.gif

-Angler
600smile.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 24
It helps if you keep your ears clean. I believe in regular cleaning.

I'll apologize in advance if this results in another earwax/mimikaki thread. If you're curious about that, search this forum.

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 24
I experience this phenomena with IEM's every day, and I have a history of sinus problems. In fact, I've had surgery both to correct a deviated septum and sinus surgery. A big ouch in both cases. Every once in a while the sound becomes a little muffled, like a distinct dampening of the sound. I simply pinch my nostrils together, and gently breathe out through my nose. This clears the muffling in a milli-second. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but extremely effective. Of course, discretion is advised.

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I simply pinch my nostrils together, and gently breathe out through my nose. This clears the muffling in a milli-second. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but extremely effective.

I thought this was common practice? I have done this since I was a child, to 'clear my ears'.

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I thought this was common practice? I have done this since I was a child, to 'clear my ears'.

I don't think its common practice, but it's something I only used when scubva diving.

Be careful when doing, though, you don't want to hurt your ears.

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 24
It might not hurt to visit your doctor. He can easily determine if your ears are dirty or if there is a possible infection. Allergies can also cause problems and there are options to minimize them.

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

I simply pinch my nostrils together, and gently breathe out through my nose. This clears the muffling in a milli-second. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but extremely effective.

That really hurts whenever I do it. I only do that in extreme situations.

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 24
Any full size headphones do not exhibit this behaviour, and I can't really see a reason to why they should. If this happens, it should rather be the result of pressure changes in your work/home enviroment. My Etymotics do this though, which is one of the more important reasons to why I prefer my shure E5s, as they do not.

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain

Apparently not for the OP, or he would have the solution to his problem. Someone actually showed me this when I was on an overseas flight to Japan when I was 22, 15 years ago. It was the first time I ever flew that I didn't have a raging sinus headache after getting off the plane.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I don't think its common practice, but it's something I only used when scubva diving.

Be careful when doing, though, you don't want to hurt your ears.

This question is a little OT, but what does that do, exactly? (blowing through pinched nostrils while scuba diving)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back