Do headphones plug your ears?
Jul 17, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #16 of 24
I have experienced this too, but only when I first start to wear my canalphones after a long period of time (10days+), otherwise I do not experience this during everyday use. However, I have to admit that canalphones are tiring, my ears gets sore after 2-3 hrs of continuous listening, especially when surrounding is quiet (like home listening), but much better when outside or commuting.

IMO, blowing your nose is bad for ears, becareful with that, my grandpa used to blow his nose alot and now he can't hear anything w/o a hearing aid.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I simply pinch my nostrils together, and gently breathe out through my nose.

Ack! I get queesy thinking about that! I NEVER do that, it feels to weird. I find pulling on your ear lobe helps.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 24
Maybe I'm not thinking this right, but for me, pinching nostrils+breathing through nose just results in my eardrums being blown out. No clearing here.

For me, a long yawn never fails to equalize the pressure.

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paleo
I get this after just working out in the gym without any headphones. But I think it was more pronounced with earbud useage.

I get exactly the same thing, I thought it was just me. How on Earth does working out plug a person's ears?? Maybe something to do with a rise in blood pressure?

I've tried the pinching nostrils and blowing thing but that doesn't seem to clear them. Nor does yawning. I'll try the other things though, like chewing gum. I saw the doctor and he said my ears are clean. He said there's a tube that equalizes ear pressure and with some people is plugs easier than others. Sometimes I wear the headphones practically all day, sometimes just an hour. I'll have to take a few days off (argh) and see if it makes a difference.

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555
IMO, blowing your nose is bad for ears, becareful with that, my grandpa used to blow his nose alot and now he can't hear anything w/o a hearing aid.

What makes you think that the two are causally related? Your grandfather's hearing loss is much more likely to be due to the normal aging process or noise exposure.

What people are describing here is called the Valsalva manuever. According to WebMD, it is not generally considered to be harmful.

Jul 19, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
What makes you think that the two are causally related?

Hehe. Causality must be assumed, of course!
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

I think that was on topic... right?

Jul 19, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by skurge13
I get exactly the same thing, I thought it was just me. How on Earth does working out plug a person's ears?? Maybe something to do with a rise in blood pressure?

I've tried the pinching nostrils and blowing thing but that doesn't seem to clear them. Nor does yawning. I'll try the other things though, like chewing gum. I saw the doctor and he said my ears are clean. He said there's a tube that equalizes ear pressure and with some people is plugs easier than others. Sometimes I wear the headphones practically all day, sometimes just an hour. I'll have to take a few days off (argh) and see if it makes a difference.

Beats me, but it gets annoying. Must be some huge pressure buildup...get it when I lift heavy. But definitely more noticeable when I use earbuds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back