Do HD650s really NEED new cables?
Apr 18, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur, but let me add that imo the stock cable sounds pretty good too. For my ears the Equinox cable sounded better in every way but we are talking about small steps in performance here.

I've heard this statement so often that it's become a truism for me, one that I haven't questioned. But when I think about it, I begin to understand what audiophilia may be all about. In a way, all of us on Head-Fi are in the 95%+ range. That is, we aren't happy with 95% of the sound that's out there. We're interested in the remaining top 5%, and this is our arena, our stage, our forum where we split hairs, where a 0.5% gain in quality is significant. To get that half a percent gain, we tweak, poke, probe, cut, file, solder, sweat, pray, and earmark every extra buck for the latest mod or equipment that will squeeze another fraction of quality out of our gear. The steps are small, minute, but that's what an audiophile is -- one who makes nearly imperceptible distinctions between excellent and superb. In this pursuit, we put a lot on faith in our peers. Enough have said that the cable makes a difference so we cable. Thus, I've actually never heard my HD650 or GS1000 with stock cables. I know, this sounds kinda stupid, but there are things in life that we just take on faith, and this is one of them for me.

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #20 of 44
i'd like to add this. Who cares if it's placebo and it's making you happy ?
rolleyes.gif
There's some truth to this. If you can afford it, though sonic improvements are tiny, but it makes you happy, why not?

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd like to add this. Who cares if it's placebo and it's making you happy ?
rolleyes.gif
There's some truth to this. If you can afford it, though sonic improvements are tiny, but it makes you happy, why not?

x2 -- hey, at the elite level in golf, football, swimming, track, tennis, martial arts, whatever -- it's a game of inches, of split seconds. whatever gives one an edge, however slight, deserves a try. or at least a look.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #24 of 44
Apr 18, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #25 of 44
Well.... that depend on what your definition of "need" is

there is only a difference between needs and wants.......

one headfier said

"The difference between need and want is the money to have"
I think this statement is really true.

Does cable make an improvement?
Yes, in term that they change the sound signature of the headphone. (I have both Carda and Equinox now)

Is it worth it? I don't know, is all up to you. but following this upgrade guide. you should be fine

Source>>Headphone>=Amp>Interconnect>headphone cable>>>power cable

Yes, some people may disagree with the statement, but that's what I feel
Feel free to give more suggestion toward my chain of upgrade from above
icon10.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #26 of 44
perhaps the primary reason I kept the 650s was the Zu cable
upgrade. without it, I found them congested and slow, with it
a delight with clarity and warmth.

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Significant enough to be worth the cost?

Depends on the cable.. 185.00 for the Cardas replacement isn't worth it.. More like a 100.00 to me. You should upgrade cables last IMO.. Source. headphones. Amps/DAC. Cables.

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #29 of 44
I did hear an equinox on my senn (for a very quick AB), and it was noticeably less murky than the stock. Whether you need the cable or not depends on how much you end up liking the HD650, imo.

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #30 of 44
If your setup is modest at best, the upgrade cable will only provide minimal improvement. But, if you plan to build a system around the HD-650, the upgrade cable is a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back