Do HD650s really NEED new cables?
Apr 18, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #31 of 44
Purk, you seem to have a quiver full of options for the HD-650: Zu Mobius or Moon-Audio Silver Dragon, Stefan Audio Equinox. Assuming that you've tried the Cardas, too, which of these is the all-around best fit for the 650? Or does it still elude you -- something like the Black Dragon, maybe? Did you also retrofit the Sony MDR-R10 "The King", Audio Technica ATH-L3000? Finally, re the 650 cables: did you purchase different ones for different types of music or rigs or were you simply going through them, looking for the elusive best of the best?

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #33 of 44
In my experience I have found what I would consider large changes in sound with replacement cables on my 650's. I often find it hard to tell the difference with some cables, i.e. interconnects, but this was immediatly apparent.

I used the Cardas (Smurf) cable for quite sometime. I didn't audition this cable as this type of product is very difficult to come by in the UK. Although it improved the sound in many ways, after a while I began to find the sound was too lean. I eventually swapped back to the stock cable and there was then a bit more body to the sound. I then opted for the Equinox and I am very glad I did, this gave me the same warmth and body to the sound as the stock cable and as others have commented adds so much more above this.

If it wasn't for the Equinox cable I would not be enjoying this set of headphones as half as much as I do.

Granted they cost a fair bit but I feel in my setup I get value for money from them given the extra enjoyment I get. No regrets here at all.

As others have said, I wouldn't put it before a good source and amp but it is definatly worth experimenting with. Do not under estimate the affect it can have, be it positive or negative.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalcer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I and few other people had a chance to compare 4 different cables with HD650 (stock cable, Equinox, Cardas, and I think Black Dragon but I may be mistaken) during Hamilton meet. And there was audible difference between the cables.

To my ears the Cardas was the worst - too bright (almost shrill). For classical music I liked Equinox the best - very balanced and relaxed sound, a little more open soundstage than with stock cable, tighter bass and more extended treble. For rock the (what I think it was) Black Dragon was definitely the best sounding - more lively than Equinox. Few other people liked it even better than the Equinox for classical as well.

Keep in mind that the sound signature is always very subjective so what I wrote is not aimed at making any statement about which cable is better. I just wanted to say that there _is_ audible difference between different cables provided the source and amplifier are real Hi-Fi.

BTW, the source was CD player meridian and the amp was the Headroom's Max amp. So source-wise it was rather a high end setup. I am not sure if one would be able to pickup the differences using "pedestrian" DVD player and very basic amp to drive the HD650.

Cheers!

I was one of the other testers at that meet. Pbalcer went a little too much into detail IMO
wink.gif
with his answer, but he is dead on. Bottom line: the differences are obvious; as to the question of if they're worth it? I'd say that once you've maxed out a system (as an approximate reference, you should have spent at least $2000 on a headphone amp and source to consider a 650 cable upgrade IMO), you will hear a difference in BOTH SQ and signature.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #36 of 44
i don't think it's an absolute requirement to upgrade the cable either. the stock cables are enjoyable as they are and provide decent performance. i ended up building my own cables out of silver plated copper wires and the difference was easily apparent and not minute as others here have pointed out. keep in mind that this was my own cable and not a typical cable brand so ymmv. the main difference for me was the overall reduction in the murkiness. i never thought that the stock hd650 was veiled but after using the new cables, it became easily apparent. imo upgraded cables really are necessary if you want to build a system around the hd650 and take it to higher levels.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone that has directly compared them, how much of a difference was it in your eyes (ears)? Please keep your answer as unbiased and level-minded as possible.

There is a definite difference. That said, I still prefer the stock cables.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #39 of 44
I think if you're thinking about spending 200+ dollars on a new cable, then the sonic improvements will not justify the cost. On the other hand, going from HD580 stock cables to HD650 stock cables for $20 bucks is well worth the cost in my opinion.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #40 of 44
Nice, this thread comes just in time. I'm thinking of recabling and was wondering exactly the same thing. I know that a short piece of wire can make a hugh different in sound because I auditioned a lot of IC's for my portable rig and was amazed at the signature change copper or silver could bring, even with a cheap amp like the LDM+ If anyone has made a DIY cable I would be very interested as well.

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #42 of 44
When I added the RAL cable I noticed immediately. I would love to see the RAL compared to the Equinox, they seem to be the only 2 that everyone seems to be happy with. Of course there seem to be only a few RAL cables out there, so that could have something to do with it.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Purk, you seem to have a quiver full of options for the HD-650: Zu Mobius or Moon-Audio Silver Dragon, Stefan Audio Equinox. Assuming that you've tried the Cardas, too, which of these is the all-around best fit for the 650? Or does it still elude you -- something like the Black Dragon, maybe? Did you also retrofit the Sony MDR-R10 "The King", Audio Technica ATH-L3000? Finally, re the 650 cables: did you purchase different ones for different types of music or rigs or were you simply going through them, looking for the elusive best of the best?

I need to upgrade my signature, b/c the HD-650 is long gone along with the silver dragon, and equinox. The Zu is the only cable that I still have. The HD-650 is one of my favorite headphone and I owned them for nearly 3 years before letting them go. Although they are not in the same level as the L3000, but when they can be nearly as good when your system (source, cable, and amp) is there. One of the best combo I've heard was the HD-650 running balanced with Zu Mobius with the SDS-XLR. If you want your HD-650 to have killer bass, a more upfront presentation, and improve the depth of the soundstage, the Zu is your cable. The equinox yield the most balanced sound, while the Silver Dragon provide the most details. Amp upgrade is very essential to bring out the best the HD-650 have to offer. Without the upgrade cable and good amp, the HD-650 can sound muddy and slow.

Apr 20, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to upgrade my signature, b/c the HD-650 is long gone along with the silver dragon, and equinox. The Zu is the only cable that I still have. The HD-650 is one of my favorite headphone and I owned them for nearly 3 years before letting them go. Although they are not in the same level as the L3000, but when they can be nearly as good when your system (source, cable, and amp) is there. One of the best combo I've heard was the HD-650 running balanced with Zu Mobius with the SDS-XLR. If you want your HD-650 to have killer bass, a more upfront presentation, and improve the depth of the soundstage, the Zu is your cable. The equinox yield the most balanced sound, while the Silver Dragon provide the most details. Amp upgrade is very essential to bring out the best the HD-650 have to offer. Without the upgrade cable and good amp, the HD-650 can sound muddy and slow.

Thanx, Purk. Sometimes knowing more adds to the confusion.
eggosmile.gif
I can see reasons for getting the Zu AND the Silver Dragon. What's that ole saying about the more we learn, the less we know -- or something like that.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back