Do Grados offer the most amount of clarity?
Oct 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

eltocliousus

Member of the Trade: Audible Bond
I've been deciding over a headphone to purchase that will last me a good 6 months while I can concentrate on upgrading my amplifier and source, then possibly think about getting a flagship of sorts. I'm still trying to decide which to go with in the mid/high end of the spectrum ($500-800), and I'm trying to prioritize what I enjoy, clarity, vocal realism, musicality while being engaging, rather than a very laid back experience (I recently had the HE-400s which I sold, they sounded fantastic considering the price but they were so laid back, sometimes I'd forget I was listening to music if listening to music wasn't all I was doing).

My main question is, do Grados have the highest clarity in their respective price range? Mostly aimed towards the mid/high end without getting ridiculous, RS1i/PS500 area.
By clarity I mean overall transparency and detail in the music, being able to here everything the music has to offer, especially the transparency of the vocals, I was reading that Grados can give a false sense of clarity as they're quite bright, and bright headphones tend to do that.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 41
Have you considered the AKG K701?

Sounds like what you're looking for.

Alternately, Sennheiser HD600 is supposed to be pretty clear.

If you want high end and value clarity over everything else, you can get a Beyerdynamic T1 used for around $850.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 41
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630807/headphones-with-the-greatest-detail

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 41
Thankyou for the thread soundstage, a bit short but some useful opinions.

I thought about the K701, however it's in the lower-end of my price range and where-as I know price doesn't reflect quality, I feel that I should be able to get a bit better sound, and the double headband of the K701s doesn't quite suit me aesthetic tastes. I don't yet have an amplifier to drive them or the T1 either, I'm still rocking a lowly FiiO E10 but I plan to upgrade very soon, I just wanted a headphone that will satisfy me for now until I can decide which amplifier/DAC route I want to take.

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 41
SR60i's are relatively inexpensive, yet will give you a pretty good idea of the Grado sound. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:
SR60i's are relatively inexpensive, yet will give you a pretty good idea of the Grado sound. 

I did forget to mention that I owned the SR60is for a time, a loaner pair from a friend to review, and for the time I had them, they were my most used headphone, I'd reach for them everytime. This was 5-6 months ago however and I've lost my memory of their sound. I think the RS-1 would be a good fit for now, I can always get a warmer, possibly closed headphone in the future, there's something about the new, dark brown RS1i that turns my knees to jelly when I look at them.

I'll most likely have to import them however, here in the UK, they go for $1,200-1,300 retail, The PS500s are around $1,100.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 41
IMO if clarity (detail) is what you're looking for I'd suggest you stay away from the AKG K7xx series. Detail is not their strongest point. I've owned them, this is just my experience. Grado on the other hand has clarity. I'd suggest the SR225 or if you can afford it the RS-1, my personal favorite

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:
Have you considered the AKG K701?

Sounds like what you're looking for.

Alternately, Sennheiser HD600 is supposed to be pretty clear.

If you want high end and value clarity over everything else, you can get a Beyerdynamic T1 used for around $850.

The Sennheiser HD600's are known to be veiled and laidback,i used to own them,and the first time i heard a pair of Grados (RS1) i tought to myself ``Oh crap! i bought the wrong headphones``,the difference in clarity and detail was huge,so,in my opinion,Grados are definately among the top brands when it comes detail and clarity,regardless of the model,i have had my SR80i's for almost a year now,and even today,i'm still amazed at how good they sound.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 41
I love the detail of my T1s, but the most impressive experience I have had to date with headphones was when I first put on a pair of SR80s. I'm accustomed to Magnepan speakers, which are some of the most transparent speakers on earth, so that was one quality that stood out to me right away with the Grados. Being that you're definition of clarity is "transparency and detail", I'd say they are right up your alley. 

This is the main reason why I reject the notion that Grados are "colored". When I think of colored headphones and speakers, I think of those that add something to the tonality and timbre of the music/recording that prevents them/it from sounding as they/it should. The FR graph indicates which frequencies are emphasized in terms of amplitude relative to other frequencies. It has nothing to do with what I described above. The Grados are not veiled at all, to my ears, and I've yet to hear a pair of headphones that allows vocals and instruments to sound as life-like as these guys. I also generally prefer a slightly brighter presentation, so these are pretty much right up my alley. 

It sounds like you were pretty smitten with the pair of SR60s you had previously, so chances are a trip up the line a bit might be a worthwhile investment for you. My personal favorites are the PS500s, although I haven't spent time with the RS-1s to know how well the 500s compare. I can tell you that I've recently bought some GS1000s, and they are growing on me. I haven't given them the opportunity to sound their best yet since I haven't had access to my lossless files and DAC for a couple weeks, so the jury is still out as to whether they'll close the gap with the 500s. But for $595, the 500s are a fantastic headphone and pretty much matches up perfectly with my preferences. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #13 of 41
I've been speaking with Focker via PMs and it seems the Grados are the way I should go, thankyou all the for the replies. Rushnerd, the HE-400s didn't offer much clarity at all honestly, very laid back and warm, unengaging sound overall, fantastic bass response and the vocals were quite lush indeed, but the instruments in music didn't quite feel right, and the sound never got me tapping my toes as much as it did with my old SR60s, but I could be looking through rose tinted glasses towards the SR60s, I did use them half a year ago.

I'm just now deciding between the RS1is and the PS500s, leaning towards the PS500s however but I've heard I can't go wrong either way.

Cheers!

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 41
You could have a look at the HE500's, they have amazing clarity but they also have the orthos smoothness with it aswel. This is the beauty of the plannar design. If this was not pleasing to you with the HE400's then you may just prefer dynamics. I used to have the RS1's and they are great at what they do, infact can't be bettered! but its a marmite thing... Brilliant punchy clarity as long as the music isn't too complicated i.e they start to struggle with big orchestral music. Smaller ensemble, rock, jazz all sound brilliant and put you center stage. They have a lovely intimate soundstage and I loved the way they make you feel the pluckety pluck, thump.. snap, crackle and pop!
gs1000.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 41
I really need to hear some planars, cause I've heard several people now say that they aren't as transparent as they would have expected. Beign that I love planar technology for speakers, this is realy a surprise to me. One of these days I'm going to spend some time with either an Audeze or Hifiman pair and get a feel for them. I was truly shocked that I fell in love with Grados as much as I did, but even though I enjoy having other headphones around (e.g. T1s, Q701, etc), the Grados just give me the most enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back