Do electrostatics have enough bass?????
Sep 21, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
most headphones (and some amplifiers) simply distort into audible range when pushed hard at the extremes. I'm pretty sure that the frequencies you've heard have been quite different from what you thought they were. just like sr-404 produce some `tone` down to 2hz.

Next time you're in the area, you're welcome to come by and see (err, listen) if you like... I'm pretty sure the frequencies are just what they're supposed to be (been doing digital audio work for quite a long time). Not terribly important, tho...

Sep 21, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #32 of 37
I think the Stax are particularly source sensitive. I'd like to know what source was used by those who have complained about Stax being bass light. With the Sony SCD555ES, I thought the bass was a little light and complained about a lack of "slam". As it turns out, the Sony was the culprit. With my modded DI/O (I picked up on a whim), there's plenty of bass and slam coming from the SR404/SRM007t combo. Now I have to save up for a new source.

Sep 22, 2003 at 8:29 AM Post #33 of 37
With the current Stax models I think the bass intensity really isn't lacking. This the conclusion from my visit at the Swiss high-end fair yesterday. The SR-404 reminded me very much of my own electrostatics based on earlier Stax driver models, but I even think I like my own ones better. The Omega II has an extremely opulent bass: way too much for my taste. And to my ears it lacks a bit control and contour. But it gives the entire sound a taste of luxury, the more so in cooperation with the outstanding transparency carried to extremes. I like this richness of detail on a seemingly dark background - as already mentioned, the term luxury comes to mind. I just don't feel it has very much resemblance to the reality in a concert hall, at least not in every respect: the omnipresent, exaggerated smoothness, a typical artifact with electrostatics, is not less present than with the other electrostatics I've heard so far, but maybe even more so. It makes the music lack the grip and the flesh I need to be enough emotionally involved, something dynamic headphones in turn may offer in abundance. (BTW, both SR-404 and Omega II were driven by an SRM-07T.)

So for the moment I have given up my hopes in terms of spirited electrostatics - and see my previous experiences confirmed that they generally smooth the edges in the music, typically and obviously so with the bass, but not less so in the (lower!) midrange and the treble. I have to admit that some of this perception is due to the virtual absence of (accustomed) membrane resonance effects and perhaps reduced distortion, but that's certainly not the whole story and no excuse for the perceived lack of vividity and contour...
lambda.gif
But of course: to each his own - and that's not to be understood as a snobby attitude
wink.gif

peacesign.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Bologna... I've tested myself all the way up to 20KHz (really requires a lot of volume, but I can hear it -- needless to say I haven't tried this often since volumes that high could be damaging to hearing).

I don't remember when a sine wave started sounding like a tone on my cans, but I've tested that too... it's a bit above 20Hz, not too far (maybe 28-30 or something). That's actually not unusual for decent dynamic cans too... it's not so much how low they go, but how flat/neutral they are down there.

Well, that's quite a bit above 20, which was my point. I don't think people hear very much if anything at all below 28-30.

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #35 of 37
ServinginEcuador:

How/Did you match volume levels for your different phones in the test?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 22, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
ServinginEcuador:

How/Did you match volume levels for your different phones in the test?

Joe,

I used a calibrated ear to listen to the lady's voice who gives the frequency announcement before each tone. It was actually a little lower in the Stax since I was afraid of damaging them. In the Sony & Grado testing her voice was a bit louder. I don't think that the low freq extension is affected by volume, but what do I know. A cone or mylar membrane's low freq limit is pretty well fixed and more power just equals more distortion.

Sep 22, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #37 of 37
Jazz,

I compared both 007t and 717 Stax amps with the 007 phones. The 007t DOES soften the upper frequencies a bit and has a rounder bottom end as well. It has a bit of a lower midrange presence that is alleviated by the 717, which has greater extension at both ends. With proper cabling (I use silver ICs) and source, the 717/007 combination comes VERY close to the real concert experience, and IMO, the lack of coloration/distortion is very evident compared to every dynamic setup I've heard.

I suspect one of the Gilmore designed electrostatic amps properly built would alleviate any remaining bass looseness (although I con't really hear that with my 717/007 setup), if we are to belief Kevin Gilmore on this subject. He says basically that the only thing limiting the 007 phones is the amp, which he believes should be more powerful than the Stax amps.

When you say the Stax smooths the sound too much for your tastes, are you referring to the frequency range? Or do you mean that they lack the dynamic impact that you like? I could see your saying that they aren't the ultimate in dynamic range (the 717 has a bit more dynamic range, although I really think the 007t is pretty good in this area--although not perhaps quite as good as the best solid state amps). But to me, there is no lacking in frequency response. What IS lacking is the "tipped up" sound much like one gets when turning the sharpness control on the television TOO far, creating an image that has too much of an edge on it and therefore is not properly defined (and not really as sharp).

Agreed, each has the right to his/her own preferences, and electrostatics may just not be your cup of tea. But my experience has proven fruitless in the dynamics area--tubed amps are too rounded/euphonic for my tastes, and solid state amps all sound too tipped up and artificial to me, at least in the upper frequency area. My Max with stepped attenuators paired with HD600/Cardas had GREAT bass (although perhaps a bit exagerated), but even this fine combination was too bright in the treble for me (and too dark with the Equinox cable). Perhaps my ears are more sensitive in this frequency range. At any rate, the Stax has solved that problem for me and just sounds the most natural with classical/jazz that I have yet come across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back