Do DIY sound as good as Commercial Amps?
Aug 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok pabbi1 they have help groups for people like you, visit one
tongue.gif

Seriously though was the bathroom sink they best place to store some of that stuff?

Yes, my support group is the Stax Mafia... and, once I saw Ti (amp) with a drill press in his bathroom (for the krmathis b22 build), it was all over.

Actually that is a dormant half of a Jack n Jill bathroom, closed off by the rack... a handy storage alcove in my office.

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickosha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still haven't even done the casework on my first project, but having something to hold the pcb would have been very helpful. A magnifying glass is also very good to have.

I use a 10x jewelers loupe, it seems to work very well for inspecting joints.

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, my support group is the Stax Mafia... and, once I saw Ti (amp) with a drill press in his bathroom (for the krmathis b22 build), it was all over.

How do you know that drill press was for the build, and not for some "other" reason
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #51 of 54
Part of the beauty of DIY is that you never really know how much it costs. You stockpile parts, acquire tools and gather projects over a few months. So when you eventually finish something, you don't really know.

Contrast that to a commercial amp which takes a significant bite out of your wallet at one time. You definitely feel the price of a commercial amp, while DIY has a way of makig you feel like you got a good deal.

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #52 of 54
I would also say that part of the appeal of a DIY unit is the ability to modify and tweak the design as your building to improve and/or change the finished unit more to your liking.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also interested in the Millett Max Hybrid... How does it sound for its price point? Can it drive a pair of denon D2000 (markl modded)? I also want an office amp and think this might be a good direction to go as well.

Short answer, yes it can drive the D2000s. It it sounds very good if you choose your parts well.

Long answer is a question, what sound signature do you like? The MHM seems simple at first and can be if you build one of the recommended builds, but there are three different tube choices, at least 5 capacitor choices, and by my last count at least 17 different diamond buffer choices. Only 14 or so choices for a BJT build, but there are 3 MOSFET choices and BJT DBs can be used on a MOSFET-MAX build so I'm socketing my DB positions so I can swap DBs in minutes. You just have to pull the pins out of the heatsinks, tap them for 4-40 screws and add a 3/8" spacer under the heatsink mounts to accommodate the transistor socket.

But as others have mentioned as the advantage of DIY and tweaking, my three builds will not be stock by any stretch. I'll be running a LM338 V-reg instead of the 317, an OptiVol attenuator instead of the Blue Velvet and completely different small signal transistors because I'll be running 200mA-300mA of bias current instead of the usual 30mA-90mA with my V-reg and DB mounted to 2-1/2" high heatsinks instead of the standard 1-1/2" high one.

New Version 1.2 is being prototyped in the next couple weeks. tomb runs Beezar.com and is building one, I am just an addict and I'm building the other.

My addiction isn't quite as bad as Pabbi's addiction, but he's definitely one of my mentors!
beerchug.gif

If you want a great sounding amp, available as a kit with relatively low parts count and relatively low cost, check out the Aikido 24V Hybrid. Read through the Aikido 24V thread and see if you can find the 6DJ8 tubes, but there are several other options. It is supposed to sound amazing as the kit comes with the LM317 buffers, but there are other options for the buffers too. John Broskie did ask me personally to at least listen to it with the LM317s first, before I start rolling in MOSFETs and sent me the parts for both versions. Haven't even started to build mine yet other than working on the chassis.

Pabbi turned me on to an awesome low cost chassis that can easily accommodate a wide range of DIY projects, the NABU surplus chassis. I'd strongly recommend you order 5 from the start to get the price break. I have five and I'll probably order another 5 or 10 by years end.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both
wink.gif

it's too damn addictive, you spend way more than you should and do all sorts of dumbass things in the process. Diy is not cheap... ack!! the pain, the suffering, long fruitless hours and sore eyes. Many failures, ordering extras, troubleshooting, headaches and frustration. and for what? I mean, rly, srsly.... *sigh*

can't...stop..myself
frown.gif

DIY = Teh evils

Other than that, it's great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back