Do DIY sound as good as Commercial Amps?
Aug 21, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #31 of 54
Build or buy?
If you like to make/build your own things then build, if not then buy. Its that simple!

If you like building then it will give you pleasure while building it and continue after its complete.
For me listening to something I made is very satisfying, it is so important that I can not see any commercial design competing
smily_headphones1.gif

And in regard to tools then you need a decent soldering iron, solder, solder braid or desoldering pump(correct word?), good cutters and a basic multimeter. These are the tools that you must have, anything alse is nice to have. Of course these tools will not be enough for casing the amp.

I don't know how familiar to electronics you are but I would suggest something rather simple (cmoy?) and well documented to start with and use it for learning to read schematics and figure out how it works. Fault finding can be a daunting task, even when you read schematics and know how the circuit works
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards, Jói

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll add more later after I get a feel for how this thread goes.

I am really trying to pick up a hobby, one that I can keep doing for years and years. Im wanting to get a productive hobby where the "fruits of my labors" can be justifiably boasted over, and I happen to need an amp - I figure, why not kill two birds with one stone? This field has really interested me for several years, but I never had the time to get into it. But before I went into it, I wanted to make sure that there was the potential for "grand successes" as it were. Hence wanting to know how the DIY compare to commercial products. I love all your comments and would love to continue reading any more advice you all have for me.

Beyond the basic tools, iron, solder, solder braid, volt meter, cutters, etc... what are some real gem tools that some of you love?

Thanks again all!

EDIT: I personally plan on owning only 2 amps at any given time, but I want to build for the sake of building and then sell off what I build to help support the hobby... is that a viable plan, given I can make some quality sounding/lasting/safe equipment?

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ultimate tool = Nail Clipper.

Any other lead clippers out there is fail compared to the holy glorious Nail Clipper.

Please forgive my ignorance here, but a nail clipper? as in a finger nail clipper?

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #36 of 54
Drill press gets a ton of use in my shop.

Not required by any means, but it makes it a lot easier to do panel work, and also handles large forstner bits easily. Great for drilling home made PCBs, too. Doesn't have to be a fancy one. Even a drill stand for a hand electric drill is helpful.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ultimate tool = Nail Clipper.

I tend to agree. I've had various flush and semi-flush cutters but in the end, I prefer a nail clipper.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #38 of 54
I find myself reaching CONSTANTLY for my Xuron 450 Tweezer Nose Pliers and 410T High Precision Shear (which is way better than nail clippers
tongue.gif
).

Also, a temperature controlled soldering iron is a HUGE improvement (for me at least) over a non-temp controlled one.

The Panavise Model 324 Electronic Work Center is pretty nice, too - it holds PCBs.

324large.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Panavise Model 324 Electronic Work Center is pretty nice, too - it holds PCBs.

324large.gif

You know I might need to get one of those vises. During my gamma2 build I need to probe out a problem and many times I need to have a probe on one side of the board while having the other probe on the other side. This would have been easier than telling my wife to "hold this like this"!

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #42 of 54
Both
wink.gif

it's too damn addictive, you spend way more than you should and do all sorts of dumbass things in the process. Diy is not cheap... ack!! the pain, the suffering, long fruitless hours and sore eyes. Many failures, ordering extras, troubleshooting, headaches and frustration. and for what? I mean, rly, srsly.... *sigh*

can't...stop..myself
frown.gif

DIY = Teh evils

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Someone starting building diy amps will quite often find himself with more amps than he needs, a collection of useful parts gathering dust "just in case", tools he only used once, and so on. And I don't even speak of that "what if I tried..." itch. Buying a good amp, used preferably, wouldn't start this expensive diy madness.

x³ - with proof.

Ya mean, like this 25 lb box of caps, incliding Muse, Blackgates, etc, that have NO dedicated project they are for? Oh, and I have lots more caps than that - it is a real fetish.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x³ - with proof.

Ya mean, like this 20lb box of caps, incliding Muse, Blackgates, etc, that have NO dedicated project they are for?

Ok pabbi1 they have help groups for people like you, visit one
tongue.gif

Seriously though was the bathroom sink they best place to store some of that stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back