Do Different Tips Really Sound Different?
Apr 8, 2008 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AndrewF

100+ Head-Fier
Assuming you get a really good seal, does the tip really make any difference? I've tried going back and forth a bit between modded tri-biflanges, the large rubber Shure tip, and the large Shure black olive, and I get a great seal with all of them, but really don't notice any difference. I usually think I'm a pretty discriminating listener, maybe not as good as some here, but better than average certainly.

I keep hearing how great the black olives are, but I really like the convenience of the non-disposable tips, particularly for exercise/ having to take them out to talk, etc. Anyone else have this same experience- that any properly fitting tip sounds pretty much the same?

This is with both UM2 and SE530, btw.

Andrew

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 12
Yes of course. To get down to the most basic- Different materials transfer sound differently. At one extreme you have water and at the other,...i don't know.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes of course. To get down to the most basic- Different materials transfer sound differently. At one extreme you have water and at the other,...i don't know.

Oh I agree....my new stainless steel tips are so....bright. I really think they'll catch on once the anodised colours are available...

biggrin.gif

But seriously, I do agree. Whether it's a question of efficacy of seal or something inherent in tip material I dunno.

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 12
Definitely agree they change the sound (former UM2 owner here).

It is dependent on what you are feeding them of course (GIGO principal - the better the quality of what you are feeding them, the more difference you may notice to changes down the line).

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 12
They change sound. I use the olives when they're out on portable use, but for relaxed, in-house listening, I use biflange tips. The olives just.. tame the bass a bit, and with those biflanges one simply gets very solid and smooth bass.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 12
OK- can anyone explain why different tips would change the sound? As near as I can tell, the nozzle from the IEM goes to the very end or very close to the very end of all tips. So, the sound is coming out through the hole and heading directly for your eardrum. It's not like the tip is between the sound and you eardrum. And most the of the tips are pretty solidly compressed if you have a good seal, so they should be very close to "solid", from a sound wave perspective, meaning that there shouldn't be a whole lot of absorption.

So, how would a different tip change the sound? I can't help but wonder if this would stand the test of a double blind test, impossible thought that would be to administer.

Andrew

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK- can anyone explain why different tips would change the sound? As near as I can tell, the nozzle from the IEM goes to the very end or very close to the very end of all tips.

The er-6i nozzle only goes about 1/2 the length of a tri-flange, near as i can tell.

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 12
How much the sound change depends on what kind of IEM you are using. Ety generally benefit most from foam tip, cause most foam tips give a warmer tone (by giving a stronger low end) to the sound signature therefore it is relatively easy to detect. In contrast, when use on a warm IEM, the change of sound signature will be less noticeable (from warm to slightly/tiny bit warmer).

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much the sound change depends on what kind of IEM you are using. Ety generally benefit most from foam tip, cause most foam tips give a warmer tone (by giving a stronger low end) to the sound signature therefore it is relatively easy to detect. In contrast, when use on a warm IEM, the change of sound signature will be less noticeable (from warm to slightly/tiny bit warmer).

I find that the biggest difference in bass with etys is the seal.

When i first tried tri-flanges, i couldn't get a good seal. because i didn't know what i was doing. The ety foams worked much better.

When i figured out how to really insert the tri-flanges well, and get a good seal, the bass was better than with the foams.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 12
Yes, I think most will agree that stuffing the whole evil Christmas tree into one's ear canals probably is a bit challenging in the beginning
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK- can anyone explain why different tips would change the sound? As near as I can tell, the nozzle from the IEM goes to the very end or very close to the very end of all tips. So, the sound is coming out through the hole and heading directly for your eardrum. It's not like the tip is between the sound and you eardrum. And most the of the tips are pretty solidly compressed if you have a good seal, so they should be very close to "solid", from a sound wave perspective, meaning that there shouldn't be a whole lot of absorption.

So, how would a different tip change the sound? I can't help but wonder if this would stand the test of a double blind test, impossible thought that would be to administer.

Andrew

different tips would place the drivers different distances and at different angles from your drums.

also, with different seal, soundstage and bass impression is affected.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 12
there are huge differences in sound while you are using difference tips.
My experience is that when using black foamies with ER4, the high sounds harsh and realy bright, they give a strong feeling of solid. When using tri-flanges, they sound much more neutual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back