Do canalphones need burn in?
Oct 18, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 32
My e3c surely did improve a lot in last month since i bought them. But then I realized that they don't need as much burning in if used on an amp instead of my iPod.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 32
The real question is "Is Burn In Real?"

We need to breakout some frequency response charts and AB blind-testing of innumerate headphones in the same class before we can reach any kind of conclusion...

Does anyone have evidence supporting either side?

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

We need to breakout some frequency response charts and AB blind-testing of innumerate headphones in the same class before we can reach any kind of conclusion...

Does anyone have evidence supporting either side?

what?? All I read with 'RIbbit Ribbit..Ribbit'.

JK
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

My thought exactly... I'm wondering about this myself. How real is it? Burn-in headphones to me sounds remotely real, but might be true. Even worse, these days people even talk about burn-in amp. Before we know it, we'll see post suggesting to burn-in cable, burn-in CD, burn-in power cord....

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplelife
My thought exactly... I'm wondering about this myself. How real is it? Burn-in headphones to me sounds remotely real, but might be true. Even worse, these days people even talk about burn-in amp. Before we know it, we'll see post suggesting to burn-in cable, burn-in CD, burn-in power cord....

People already suggest that... and things like using higher grade power cords
rolleyes.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 32
Ray Samuels is not helping us either by fueling our "burn-in" superstitions.

Supposedly he burns in all of his non-battery powered amps before sending them to his customers.

Headroom talks about "Burn-in" with their amps, too, if you read the instruction manual that accompanies their amplifiers.

I think they're both crazy. How do you burn in wires and chips?!

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 32
I was searching for somthing once a few days ago. I cant remember what, a certin pair of headphoens or somthing. I read a post that some guy explained his theory on why he thinks it works or somthing and it really sounded good.

Somthing about the properties in the diaphram brake down and tear at a moleculer level and then they stretch or somthing like that. Somthing about each time you use them the molicules break down. I tried to find it again but i dont even remember what i was searching. Its on this site somewhere though.

I wasnt sure i believed it myself till i read that post. It really made sence to me.

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 32
Common sense "theories" like you just described sound practical because they are meant to sound practical. If you look up the ways people used to think our body worked before modern anatomy and physiology, a lot of it makes sense. But that doesn't make it true. Whether burn-in exists or not, I have no idea, nor do I care. However, the 'must be true because it makes sense' ideas are the only ones I've ever seen to support burn-in, so I'm doubting that it's any more valid than the four humors theory.

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 32
Physical burn in exists with anything that has moving parts. Things wear, thats just a fact. There are a few special questions related to audio equipment when it comes to burn in however, which I won't attempt to answer. (1) does it make an audible difference? (2) if it does, why is it necessarily an improvement? and (3) should solid state equipment, with no moving parts, burn in?

jesse

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 32
There is a lot of discussion about burn in, and a lot of heated arguement over it too. Personally, I believe in diaphragm burn in, as I could hear the difference in my headphones after about a week of listening. But of course, it could just be my ears adjusting to them. There is also talk of cable and solid state burn in, which I don't believe... yet.

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
My Shure E3's didn't change with 48 hours burn in. I didn't notice any change with EX71s either.

More fuel to the fire: I noticed a huge difference in my EX51's from when they were out of the box to after I burned them in for 24 hours. Nobody will ever come up with a conclusive answer to this, so until then, it's all a matter of personal experience.

If burn-in isn't real, and my mind made up the difference between the horribly sharp-sounding non-burned-in EX51's and the much tamer burned-in EX51's, then ignorance is bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back