Do canalphones need burn in?
Oct 18, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #31 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
Do etys and shures need burn in to be at their peak or are they pretty much good when new.

According to my experience the ER-4 doesn't significantly change its sonic characteristic, so it sounds good from the beginning. Other factors though are the insertion routine and the getting used to the unique sonic presentation.

Dynamic sound transducers usually change their sonic characteristic quite a bit during the first 100... hours due to loosening of the elastic parts, mainly the suspension. The loosening is measurable -- I've measured it myself several times with bass drivers (lowering of the resonance frequency).

Why is the change always to the positive? Stax gave an illustrative explanation why their (electrostatic) drivers sound better after a few hours of use: the movement of the membrane foil evens out the unevennesses with the membrane tension and thus lowers partial vibrations (= harmonic distortion); of course this process implies a certain general loosening as well. The same scenario could apply to the suspension of dynamic drivers.

From my past experience with amps -- speaker and headphone -- I'm a firm believer in solid-state burn in. And I know my belief supported by some amplifier developers. I guess you would have a hard time finding any who thinks his amps don't change characteristic with burn in.

peacesign.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #32 of 32
burn-in is absolutely not an issue with canalphones, it simply does not exist.

headphones on the other hand, with large moving parts that actually move around, may benefit from burn-in.

there was no change in sound over time with the e3's, e5's and sensaphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back