Do canalphones need burn in?
Oct 18, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #16 of 32
As an addition to what I said earlier, and at the risk of suggesting a stance, I find it interesting that (to my knowledge) no one has ever posted about burn in resulting in poorer final performance. The closest I've ever heard is HD650 owners who sometimes claim things get worse and then magically better again.

jesse

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
Physical burn in exists with anything that has moving parts. Things wear, thats just a fact. There are a few special questions related to audio equipment when it comes to burn in however, which I won't attempt to answer. (1) does it make an audible difference? (2) if it does, why is it necessarily an improvement? and (3) should solid state equipment, with no moving parts, burn in?

jesse

I think it works with solid state electronics also. Go to some computer overclocking forums they talk about burn in for the computer chips also.

Oct 18, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #18 of 32
My ER-6 got better bass after about 6 months.
My ER-4s were used when I bought them, I haven't noticed any changes since I've had them.
etysmile.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
Somthing about each time you use them the molicules break down.

I wasnt sure i believed it myself till i read that post. It really made sence to me.

Molecules don't just "break down". In a solid the position of molecules is fixed in the substance. They can vibrate, but can't switch position without first becoming liquid or gas. When an electric current passes through a metal it is a flow of electrons, not molecules. Transforming to a liquid (via heat energy) allows the molecules to vibrate more and break free from adjacent molecules. In this state they can move freely relative to other molecules.

The biggest issue I have with burn-in is that headphones ALWAYS sound better afterwards. If it were really then it surely would sometimes have to sound worse over time too.

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
I think it works with solid state electronics also. Go to some computer overclocking forums they talk about burn in for the computer chips also.

"Burning in" CPUs is completely different. It's simply a test of whether a given overclock is stable.

So no, it does not work with solid state electronics.

Oct 18, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
"Burning in" CPUs is completely different. It's simply a test of whether a given overclock is stable.

Here is one i found thats kinda neat to read. The very last reply is the one im thinking of.

Burning in your CPU

Its not just about CPUs though its about all electronics. CPUs are just the focus on this forum.

Oct 18, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #22 of 32
Has anyone considered the effect of age on the sensory systems, particularly the ears ?
All this hype and BS about particular models, to burn in or not to burn in, choice of source, amp and connecting leads etc etc is a bit like chasing rainbows if your date of birth is really the deciding factor.
OK, a person of any age should be able to detect the difference between a poor audio setup and the high end stuff, but is this 'perceived' difference between, for example, the Zu Mobius and Cardas aftermarket cables for the Sennheiser HD650 more of a question of psychology for the majority of 'seasoned' listeners??
Any qualified medical opinions out there ?

Oct 18, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #23 of 32
The E2's do 'burn in' slightly.
The EX71 exhibits 'gradual continuous degredation' rather than 'burn-in'.
ER-4, E3c and E5c should not change to a noticeable degree.

Any other change is probably psychological.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket

Dig a little deeper. You will see that many report their RAM are able to take higher frequencies as well as lower timings after a week or two of usage. www.hardforum.com

You are referring to another burn in process which is simply testing for stability.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
The biggest issue I have with burn-in is that headphones ALWAYS sound better afterwards. If it were really then it surely would sometimes have to sound worse over time too.

I think they always sound better because the same thing always happens after burn in: loosening of the diaphragm. This should affect all dynamic headphones that share the same diaphragm material the same way.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #27 of 32
I don't know if canalphones need burn-in, I purchased them used, but your canals definately need burn-in, and that hurts.
Reminded me of the time when I got my first contact lenses 20 years ago.
First I thought I couldn't stand it, later I got used to them and after a few weeks they felt natural.
I recommend not to use them for more than an hour during the first days.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #28 of 32
Burn in makes sense to me. Basically you are talking about precision moving parts and over time/with use they will become broken in… Like the engine in your car or motorcycle, there is a break-in period while the moving parts match up… become one with each other… Anyway makes sense to me. I stick my E2’s in the sock drawer on a rock n roll station when I know I won’t be using em but other than that they can get broken in on my head.

Ed

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Clements
Has anyone considered the effect of age on the sensory systems, particularly the ears ?
All this hype and BS about particular models, to burn in or not to burn in, choice of source, amp and connecting leads etc etc is a bit like chasing rainbows if your date of birth is really the deciding factor.
OK, a person of any age should be able to detect the difference between a poor audio setup and the high end stuff, but is this 'perceived' difference between, for example, the Zu Mobius and Cardas aftermarket cables for the Sennheiser HD650 more of a question of psychology for the majority of 'seasoned' listeners??
Any qualified medical opinions out there ?

Agreed.

Where are the doctors when you need them?

There have to be a few who inhabit these forums...

Currently Listening to: "Eye" by Smashing Pumpkins on my ATH-A900s.

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
But why should the person ALWAYS prefer the sound afterwards?

I think we can stack that up to pschology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back