Do cables "burn in"?
Aug 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #77 of 145
Quote:
A priori, nothing can be said otherwise about what contribution (or lack of contribution) different cables of already reasonable quality make to final audio output. If you hear a difference (a) it exists, or (b) centrifugal control of peripheral sensory organs (your ears not only send input to your brain, but your brain also sends input to your ears, and often, what you expect to hear is what you literally hear, even when it does not exist).

Agreed. This is why we need objective testing. To determine the difference between (a) and (b). That's all I'm asking for. 

Too many people here assume that if they hear something it is (a). Frankly, knowing what we know about our brains, we cannot make that assumption. Especially if the item in question already has very little reason to support that it can make an audible change. Controlled experimentation and testing is required to know either way. Thus far the data that has been done, supports (b). Show me good data to suggest otherwise, and I'll revise my position. :)

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #78 of 145
Quote:
ROFL............ to some it seems the world is still flat. I crack up each time se dismisses something without trying it out for himself like everbody else has with success.

Because simply trying something for yourself doesn't necessarily tell you if there's anything actually going on.

Using that criteria, then putting photographs of yourself in your freezer improves the sound of your system (as well as every other system you listen to).

Do I really need to put photographs of myself in my freezer before I can dismiss such a thing as beyond silly?

se

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #79 of 145
ROFL............ to some it seems the world is still flat. I crack up each time se dismisses something without trying it out for himself like everbody else has with success.

Because simply trying something for yourself doesn't necessarily tell you if there's anything actually going on.

se

Um that is how we find out if something works or doesn't. We try them by ourselves ,in a group or have what ever we are trying sent to another person. Great hobby to be in.:p

You crack me up.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #80 of 145
OK, most people can't even agree if cables make a difference or not.  Now there are arguments of just the burn-in aspect of cabling...

If we say that cables make a 10% difference in the overall sound of a system, wouldn't burn-in of the cables be like 10% of that?

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #81 of 145
To me it is more than 10%.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #82 of 145
Quote:
OK, most people can't even agree if cables make a difference or not.  Now there are arguments of just the burn-in aspect of cabling...

If we say that cables make a 10% difference in the overall sound of a system, wouldn't burn-in of the cables be like 10% of that?

Based on my experience, more like 1:1 ratio, not 10%.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #83 of 145
Quote:
Um that is how we find out if something works or doesn't. We try them by ourselves ,in a group or have what ever we are trying sent to another person. Great hobby to be in.
tongue.gif

You crack me up.

Depends on what you mean by "works."

If you simply mean it sounds better subjectively, fine, but again, that doesn't tell you whether or not there's actually anything going on as things can "sound better" even when there's nothing going on, such as with the case of the frozen photographs.

se

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #84 of 145
We are just talking about "burn in" in this thread. Silver IC's with Silver connecters are a good example to use. They will sound different from NIB to about 300-500 of burn in. That is from experience in listening to them. Was not referring to sounding better or worse just stating that there is burn in.
Quote:
Quote:
Um that is how we find out if something works or doesn't. We try them by ourselves ,in a group or have what ever we are trying sent to another person. Great hobby to be in.
tongue.gif

You crack me up.

If you simply mean it sounds better subjectively, fine, but again, that doesn't tell you whether or not there's actually anything going on as things can "sound better" even when there's nothing going on, such as with the case of the frozen photographs.

se

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #85 of 145
Quote:

se

How do you know there is nothing going on?  Do you have proof? You are just making things up, or making wrong assumption.  I suggest you re-read what has been said about burned-in cables as it is a good learning curve for you.  Personal hands-on experience is first.  Second is the reference from the engineers and professors that are specialized in this field.  Next.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #88 of 145
Now you know why se cracks me up. First one to dismiss and or discount but will not find out on his own to see if it happens or not. Se doesn't have proof to back up his claims that there is no "burn in" or what ever else he discount's.
Quote:
Quote:

se

How do you know there is nothing going on?  Do you have proof? You are just making things up, or making wrong assumption.  I suggest you re-read what has been said about burned-in cables as it is a good learning curve for you.  Personal hands-on experience is first.  Second is the reference from the engineers and professors that are specialized in this field.  Next.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #90 of 145
I just love these threads...
Not just cables, get them started on little glass fuses too...

Quote:
[size=x-small]For best performance, the HiFi Tuning fuses should be installed one way, listened to, and then reversed the other way to determine best sonic orientation.[/size]

popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back