Do cables "burn in"?
Aug 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #106 of 145
Quote:
Still want to know why we never hear reports on burn-in causing a degraded sound.

What I'm curious about is why cables didn't seem to burn in 25 years ago. Not even platinum ears like Enid Lumley, who recommended against having a digital watch in the listening room because it screwed up the sound didn't notice it.

My pet theory is that one day someone was wanting to return some cables that they didn't particularly care for an a quick-thinking sales guy said "Oh, well they haven't burned in yet."
biggrin.gif

se

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #107 of 145
It depends. Are we talking about USB or HDMI cables? No, I kid. This thread should die.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #108 of 145
Rhetorical question: Aren't circular arguments supposed to be confined to the Sound Science subforum?

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #109 of 145
Quote:
Rhetorical question: Aren't circular arguments supposed to be confined to the Sound Science subforum?

I know it's a rhetorical question, but the circular arguments are being made by those who stay away from the Sound Science forum. Or did you mean circular arguments to mean something other than circular arguments?

se

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #110 of 145
in before it dies...

Quote:
Yes, you're right---as much as I WANT to hear a difference, I just CAN'T!  At least I didn't spend $100 on the cable or else I'd be highly upset.

here's also something that one would think goes both ways: doesn't this comment made by the OP, which seems to be conveniently ignored, throw these expectation bias theories that some objectivists like to hang on to dearly down the drain?

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #111 of 145
Quote:
in before it dies...

here's also something that one would think goes both ways: doesn't this comment made by the OP, which seems to be conveniently ignored, throw these expectation bias theories that some objectivists like to hang on to dearly down the drain?

Brains are very unique from person to person. Just as placebos are effective with some people while completely ineffective with others, biases are stronger with some people while others, less so. It doesn't invalidate the theory.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #112 of 145
Expectation biases are also unconscious, as a rule - which is why we have to control for them. Wanting badly to hear something, doesn't mean your brain will let you. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #113 of 145
still, the OP was clearly expecting to hear a difference, that's why he bought the cable, probably after reading reviews and comments. I'm not expert in these matters, but according to what I read in comments about the theory he should have heard a difference. personally I think that these theories are being used to describe something which doesn't apply to it. no offence...

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #114 of 145
Expectation biases are also unconscious, as a rule - which is why we have to control for them. Wanting badly to hear something, doesn't mean your brain will let you. 

That is why I used Silver ic's with silver connectors as my example. Those cables are so easy to hear the difference from nib to burned in 500 hours.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #115 of 145
Quote:
That is why I used Silver ic's with silver connectors as my example. Those cables are so easy to hear the difference from nib to burned in 500 hours.

If it's that easy, then this matter should be able to be put to rest once and for all just as easily. So I'll extend the same invitation to you that I did to goodolcheez to move on over to Sound Science to discuss setting up the test.

se

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #118 of 145
A better idea se......... Get out of your chair and go to a local DIY meet or gathering? You have a standing invitation to any Seattle meet
beerchug.gif
Share your knowledge face to face, it is an awesome experience. Forums don't even compare my friend!
Quote:
Quote:

If it's that easy, then this matter should be able to be put to rest once and for all just as easily. So I'll extend the same invitation to you that I did to goodolcheez to move on over to Sound Science to discuss setting up the test.

se

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #120 of 145
Easy test Buy Silver cable, Buy silver or rhodium connecters, hook it up to your rig and listen to it. take notes from new in box, 20 hours, 50 hours, then every 100 hours or so or if you hear something different for several hundred of hours. Not too hard really.
Quote:
Didn't think so.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back