Do balanced armatures deteriorate/go bad???
Sep 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

blkmegaman

New Head-Fier
Whats up guys. i was wondering do BA"s start do deteriorate or start to lose function after prolonged non-usage? i have a pair of shure e500's and se 315's that i haven't used in several years. probably since 2010. the cables on both of the earphones have gone bad. i was planning to get the e500's reshelled until i heard that it might not be a good idea because they haven't been used in such a long time. is this true? i haven't gotten around to reshelling them simply because i have other iem's that i enjoy listening to. should i bite the bullet and go for the reshell or should i pay for the repair fee and upgrade to the se535? i would appreciate any input. thanks.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't think that they should, especially when they aren't using a diaphragm like a dynamic, but I wouldn't know for sure.  The crapulent stock cables generally go bad long before drivers of any kind do, so I would go for the repair/upgrade.  As a bonus, SE535 at least has a detachable cable, so when the cable gives out, a cable replacement is a simple job that you can do yourself without any tools.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 15
  I don't think that they should, especially when they aren't using a diaphragm like a dynamic, but I wouldn't know for sure.  The crapulent stock cables generally go bad long before drivers of any kind do, so I would go for the repair/upgrade.  As a bonus, SE535 at least has a detachable cable, so when the cable gives out, a cable replacement is a simple job that you can do yourself without any tools.

What are you talking about?  There's still a diaphragm in a balanced armature driver.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 15
I suppose after a long time, all drivers will eventually fail, but cables will likely go first. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 15
Sep 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 15
I think they're less prone to damage than dynamics, as they move less. But everything eventually gets old and deteriorates.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 15
Yes, they go bad. My XBA 3, have gone bad and distort horribly. My assumption is that one of the 3 driver has stopped functioning. Its kind of sad. I spent around $150 on them and then another $100 in re-shelling them and they barely lasted for about an year.

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #14 of 15

Seriously, 5 seconds of Google searching would've given you the answer.

http://www.crystalradio.net/soundpowered/introduction/badrawing7c.jpg

A BA must have a diaphragm because the diaphragm is what moves air.

http://www.sonion.com/~/media/Files/Academy/What%20is%20Balanced%20Armature%20Receiver%20Technology_rev002.ashx

I saw a youtube vid a long time ago about Westone drivers and supposedly it is a copper plate that creates the sound, not some kind of plastic diaphragm like in a dynamic driver of any sort. Oh well, whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back