Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference?
Apr 7, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #46 of 144
As I’ve told you before, I have listened. I’ve also examined the output of ”audiophile” routers vs. standard routers. I’m fortunate to have access to an Enterprise monitoring solution and have done long term analysis. No difference.

Now that we have that out of the way, when will you be presenting objective evidence supporting your claim. Routers/switches are amongst the easiest devices to blind test. Simply change between two SSIDs if you run wireless or move the cable between the switches and flush involved caches. What’s the worst that could happen?

I love being told :wink: and i'm happy for you to blind test what ever you like, let me know what you hear :)

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #47 of 144
I love being told :wink: and i'm happy for you to blind test what ever you like, let me know what you hear :)

As always, you insist others prove/disprove your claims. Not how it works, but I’ll give you this - the consistency with which you avoid any and all controlled testing is impressive. And telling.

Unfortunately for you, snarky avoidance isn‘t going to turn sighted subjective impressions into actual supporting evidence.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #48 of 144
You are repeating the comfortable beaten old path of dismissiveness by saying 'prove to us objectively that you are hearing what you are hearing' which is very similar to saying 'show the measurement proving that your whatever speaker sounds better than whichever other speaker', where their freq curves are highly identical, so is phase response, and the waterfall is not showing much difference either. Do you buy speakers and stuff based on TS or other parameters such as THD alone?

We're not talking wireless here, at least I am not, I will also repeat what I stated before; fiberoptic versus UTP on the same two switches in the same setup and there is an audible difference I cannot explain, but that does not invalidate the observation. Obviously if the precious measurements would have been any different the underlying cause would be closer to us, what s happening here is akin to someone with a yardstick calling out 'see the earth is flat because my yardstick does not need to bend to measure the ground we're walking on', he was right with that observation but in the larger scheme of things that observation ultimately proved not to be connected to the truth that the earth is round.

I'm not saying the measurements and protocols are incorrect, I've looked at packets lost etc (and did not see any lost in any working network) and my data files do not look brighter or darker or better in any way or shape through fiber optics. Still there is an audible difference and that observation is reported by a good number of people, some of which with very inquisitive nature, and to great (well huge) expense by some. To be clear, we're talking regular 'pro IT' components, stuff like stacking layer 2 switches, not potential snake oil bits and pieces with any audiophile label stuck to them. Why do files played from RAM sound better than from SSD , and why do they sound better when played from Intel Optane, the checksum is no different.... Do you really believe folks are buying Terabyte or so Optane PCIe discs at a price tag of a couple of grand each because they are gullible?

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #49 of 144
As always, you insist others prove/disprove your claims. Not how it works, but I’ll give you this - the consistency with which you avoid any and all controlled testing is impressive. And telling.

Unfortunately for you, snarky avoidance isn‘t going to turn sighted subjective impressions into actual supporting evidence.

Sorry i didnt mean to be snarky, but you seem to think its fair game at the drop of a hat to call in to question both mine and other manufacturers honesty, not to mention branding our customer gullible fools because they dont choose to buy the way you do. As i've said, i dont make switches or power supplies, so i speak on this subject and enthusiast who's heard first hand the audible differences between all types of switch.

I cant speak for other businesses, but most that i have come across are run by honest passionate people who, want to make listening to music on hifi a more enjoyable experience. In terms of my business Network Acoustics , we are small company hand making products to with sole aim of improving the performance of music streaming systems. We are very clear in terms of both our brand and product propositions as we are also in our contract with our customers.

We make it very clear our main tool of measurement used while developing our products is continuous subjective listening tests, and over time we’ve learned exactly which parameters are technically critical. We describe our products as we hear them, supported with independent customer reviews pulled from trustpilot and clearly labelled professional reviews. Everything we sell comes with free shipping an a 30 day no quibble money back guarantee so customers can listen to our products risk free in their own system. Customers can return a product for any reason and receive a full refund.

We choose to work this way and our customers choose to buy from with full understanding of our processes and the contract they are entering in to should they decide to buy from us.

This our clearly stated proposition and with our money back guarantee we wouldnt have business if our customers werent happy with the products. if this proposition isnt for you then fair enough but it works for us and our happy customers.

You are a consumer, you can speak with your feet, deal with companies where the contract better suits your preferences but please dont expect us to feel any sort of obligation to work in other way, than we do and anyway market forces will ultimately police us and every other business.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #50 of 144
My thoughts, **** no

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #52 of 144
Granted its head fi so i better make sure i spent enough on my switch.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #54 of 144
well that's a whole router, i thought we were talking ethernet switches? it did make me drool and get all twitchy in my right trigger finger.....)

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #55 of 144
So if there is no actual audio being transmitted, how can it make an audible difference? Either the data gets to the dac or it doesn't.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #57 of 144
If I got an audiophile grade ethernet switch, would I need to use an audiophile grade fuse in the power supply?
Don't forget the audiophile grade power cord.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #58 of 144
So if there is no actual audio being transmitted, how can it make an audible difference? Either the data gets to the dac or it doesn't.
True, but we could quickly go down the route of nothing matters and I just realized again, its sound science. Im out, been fun

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #59 of 144
There are definitely things that matter and things that don't matter. It's up to science and common sense to help us determine which is which.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back