Do audiophile electrical engineers use kilobuck cables?
May 25, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #61 of 71
  Hopefully it's silicone, otherwise you're going to have quite the surprise when plugging in those cable 
biggrin.gif

-I'd much rather have a cable manufacturer make that mistake than a cosmetic surgeon. :)

May 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #62 of 71
This one?

RadioShack 25-Ft. Quad-Shielded Coax Cable

Model:

15-1567

| Catalog #: 15-1567

Excellent for cable TV or over-the-air TV.
Not so much for a analog audio interconnect.

That's the one. Needed to replace a cable that was running under the house to the TV in the living room. Wonder who the dummy was who proofed the box printing and didn't know the difference between silicon and silicone. :rolleyes:

se

Lets just hope the same person isn't performing plastic surgery and using silicon...

So much more I'd like to post, but this is a family oriented forum :)

May 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #63 of 71
Lets just hope the same person isn't performing plastic surgery and using silicon...

So much more I'd like to post, but this is a family oriented forum :)

a fame and lie oriented forum? then plastic surgery sure is on topic.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #65 of 71
  Interesting... I leave this forum for a week and in that time nobody mentions kilobuck *digital* cables.

(Got a bit into plastic surgery though. That's nice and relevant).

Show me some links to some kilobuck digital audio cables, and I'll show you some links to some first class liars and con artists (or uneducated salesfolks masquerading as knowledgeable engineers).

Cheers

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #67 of 71

Which is why we have double blind testing. Nobody has ever yet been able to have any kind of significant results in telling cables apart in a DBT. I'm gonna quote bigshot for once 
eek.gif
, if you can't hear it then it doesn't matter.

In the past (I no longer have the system), I provided MEASURABLE differences, but some "objective" people still wouldn't budge. Go figure.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #68 of 71

"Do audiophile electrical engineers use kilobuck cables?"

I hope not, i would like to think they buy a spool of coax and make their own, they are electrical engineers after all.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #69 of 71

In the past (I no longer have the system), I provided MEASURABLE differences, but some "objective" people still wouldn't budge. Go figure.

Nice bump :D. Care to explain what you found and why it was ignored?

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #70 of 71
  Nice bump :D. Care to explain what you found and why it was ignored?

Yeah, thought about not bumping it. LOL

With my Magnepans, which were harder to drive than "typical" speakers, there were 1dB-2dB changes between lower-priced (not lamp cord, but cheap well-built cables) and higher-priced ($400 if I remember correctly) cables. I could easily hear it, but people said couldn't be, so measured it. Edit: this was with levels matched at 1kHz.

This was with a decent amp (200wpc into 8 ohms, 400wpc into 4 ohms, 700wpc into 2 ohms).

After they blew off even measurable items, their opinions were just what they were so violently opposed to -- uninformed, biased, unscientific blather.

Some "educated" people learn right away. Others take 10 years, some 20 years, some never learn. A little knowledge can be dangerous. OK, I'm out of cliches. 
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #71 of 71
cables can make often measurable and sometimes audible differences in some applications

even just wire resistance can give V drop between the amp and the load

skin/proximity effect does give measurable excess (fractional dB) droop by 20 kHz in full sized loudspeaker 4/8 Ohm runs of heavy 12-14 AWG wires

headphones use too thin wire for skin effect to be significant at audio frequency and the higher Z load of headphones makes the increase in cable Z with frequency have less effect too

if you really want audible effect try changing electric guitar cable - the high Z inductive pickups actually resonate at audio frequency with the cable capacitance

other IC effects may be indirect - RF shielding can vary a lot by type and amount of outer braid/serving and even how it is connected to the shell/outer connector - 360 degree shield termination is best - often advertised in video application

so yes some cable construction feature do make meaurable, but seldom audible differences, exotic material, construction costing even $10/ft isn't really needed to make fine cables for most head-fi home IC applications

I have designed, tested, passed by independent labs scientific and industrial measurement equipment that had sensors at the ends of 100s of ft of cable, machines running strain gage cables (uV signals that get amplified by 4000x then 16 ADC) in machines with kW motor cabling along side
never really needed transmission line theory at the up to a few kHz of most industrial control signals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back