Do americans eat toast?
Apr 24, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 77
Not only do we eat toast, but we have freedom toast, unlike those degenerates on the continent.
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
i guess i'll share that for a more "down home" flavour, toast with mayonnaise and hot sauce is pretty good too.

but that's just my opinion of course.

goose, you're a sick puppy!!
biggrin.gif
What's worse is they eat this blaaaahhh for breakfast, too
eek.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #18 of 77
Ye gods this toast thing is global
frown.gif
The most imaginative yet is "nutella" on toast... I was expecting something a bit more imaginative than "nutella" on toast.

Another trendy British toast delicacy is the "BLT" a sandwich consisting of toast, fried bacon, lettuce, tomatoe and mayonnaise. Maybe the addition of some nutella (whatever that is
confused.gif
) would compliment the BLT?

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #19 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Ye gods this toast thing is global
frown.gif
The most imaginative yet is "nutella" on toast... I was expecting something a bit more imaginative than "nutella" on toast.

Another trendy British toast delicacy is the "BLT" a sandwich consisting of toast, fried bacon, lettuce, tomatoe and mayonnaise. Maybe the addition of some nutella (whatever that is
confused.gif
) would compliment the BLT?

LOL! Actually, I think the BLT was an American invention
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Not only do we eat toast, but we have freedom toast, unlike those degenerates on the continent.
tongue.gif

Any possibility you can elaborate on the constituents of "freedom toast"?

Sounds good
cool.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
LOL! Actually, I think the BLT was an American invention
biggrin.gif

How on earth could it have been an American invention considering John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich back in 1765?

More sandwich facts and figures here: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...ichHistory.htm

Reading that has given me an appetite

Pinkie.

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #23 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddler
I'm a Nutella kinda guy. Mmm Nutella.

You beat me to it. Great stuff. I personally prefer a certain Italian analogue though, called Fiat.

So yes, I do enjoy toast. I personally prefer it with either said chocolatey products, or some chunky preserves.

Now I'm hungry.

EDIT: Pinkie, Nutella is a creamy spread made with hazelnuts and cocao. Tastes essentially like hazelnuts and chocolate, as you would expect. I'm not too sure if Fiat is made with the same things though, so I can't comment on that.

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 77
Yep, we eat toast -

Toasting bread breaks some of the chemical bonds in the starches, making them into sugars.

Toasting also makes mushy bread into crunchy, wonderful food!

Toasting makes the structure more capable of carrying and distributing a load of MARMALADE!! Yay!

I found the racks of toast interesting, when last April I spent three weeks travelling around England for Kite festivals. We went to Weymouth, Swindon, Blackpool, and Cleethorps. The racks were standard "offering" appliance for the toast served at each and every B&B we visited. I don't believe that I have ever seen such a thing here in the U.S.

The breads offered at the B&Bs were nearly identical - plain.

Whenever we order toast here, we are asked to specify what we want...White, wheat, Rye, pumpernickel, Raisin, Sourdough, herb, multigrain, buttermilk, dill, Banana, Pumpkin, cheesebread, garlic, bran, onion, just to name a few...also, we are asked if it is toast we want, or would we like a danish or english muffin, or australian muffin, or biscuit (remember our biscuits are like your muffins or scones), or croissant, or sweetroll, cinnamon bun, etcetera...the choices can take quite a time.
Then there is the choice of what we want on it...butter, margarine, honey, cinnamon and sugar, fruit syrups, Jams, jellies, MARMALADES of many sorts (YAY!!!) and on and on.

Toasted bagel slices are eaten like your "crisps" frequently.
Toasted pita and Tortillas are used here as well, to convey all sorts of liquidy or runny or cheesy food to our mouths. Yum!

Crackers (you lot call 'em biscuits) are a form of toast. Yum!

Hard pretzels are a form of toast. Yum!

Hope this helps!

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #25 of 77
Quote:

Why on earth do people toast cooked bread?

I see three reasons:
1] The bread is no longer hot. Hot bread, besides being more flavourful, allows butter to melt better. So they toast it to melt the butter.
2] A lot of people keep their bread in the frigerator or the freezer. See #1 above.
3] If the bread is going stale, rather than eating slightly rancid hard bread, toasting will diminish the smell and fool the senses that it is already hard.

Now, what does eating toasted bread have to do with listening to headphones? If you are listening to music, are you less likely to notice a taste of something? If you do listen while eating, will cacophonic music cause indigestion? Does food taste sweeter when eaten while listening to soothing or sweet music? What music does your restaurant play while you are eating?

BTW, how can the British eat cucumber sandwiches not toasted?
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #26 of 77
Few years ago I saw on TV about British restaurants and you don't need a license to open up your own restaurant. And if I remember correctly, there's no regular inspections like here on US. That's sick. Primary reason why I'll never consider traveling there.

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #27 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
If you guys in the USA have the same love of "toast" as the Brits have then have you got any recipes other than "buttered toast" ?
Pinkie.

For breakfast, toast with peanut butter or jam.
For lunch/dinner, toast sandwich with bacon and peanut butter. Served with soup.

If you have electronics that no longer work, we say it's "toast" or "toasted". Like applying overvoltage and destroying it. We also might say it is "fried".

Apr 24, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #30 of 77
Mmm, toast. The best way to eat bread unless it is hot out of the oven. Eating toast induces too much distortion with headphones, though...

Toast for breakfast is great, but no American would be daft enough to eat it with BEANS for breakfast.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back