Do americans eat toast?
Apr 24, 2004 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Just a silly question but do American people eat toast? In the UK quite a lot of people toast a slice of bread and spread butter on it and then eat it. I find the whole concept ridiculous as toasted bread tastes like ..... well "toast"

I mean you wouldn't toast a cake would you? you wouldn't toast a biscuit? you wouldn't toast a pancake? Why on earth do people toast cooked bread?

I've just got a particular thing about this and it really annoys me when I go to a bed and breakfast or a hotel ("an hotel" is the proper way to say that but it doesn't sound right to me!) and at breakfast time there is always the obligatory rack of "toast" sitting on the table. The host will visit each table and ask "would you like some more toast?" They never ask "would you like some more bacon and egg?" just bloody "toast"

Is it me? am I odd, have I missed something here? everyone else appears to love "toast" but I despise the concept and the taste of the stuff. I remember visiting one bed and breakfast that didn't serve "toast" and served croissants instead (equally revolting items) and this guy shouted at the top of his voice "hey luv you've forgotten the toast" he was informed that they didn't serve toast and the guy got pretty pissed off threatening not to pay his bill etc. he settled on a "toasted croissant" and seemed quite pleased with himself and his toasted croissant.

Is this just a British thing or does toast extend across the Atlantic and, if it does, is it more exotic than "toast and butter" or "toast and marmalade" (excuse me but the thought of marmalade has just caused me to vomit... I'll be back in a minute)

Urgh.... the "M" word makes me want to heave... sorry about that but preserved orange skin and "toast" is disgusting IMO

If you guys in the USA have the same love of "toast" as the Brits have then have you got any recipes other than "buttered toast" ?

Pinkie.

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
("an hotel" is the proper way to say that but it doesn't sound right to me!)

Really?!

I don't usually eat toast - partially because I'm so darn impatient. But I do like the slight crunchy texture of slightly - don't puke on me - toasted bread and melted the peanut butter. But I'm not American, I just happen to go to school here.
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 77
yes, we eat toast.

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 77
What's wrong with toast? It makes me wish I could have a toaster here in the dorm.

Quote:

I find the whole concept ridiculous as toasted bread tastes like ..... well "toast"

You realize you're not making any sense, right?

I've never seen a rack of toast. I have seen a rack of bread next to a toaster. And what is the host doing bugging you at a buffet?

It's a matter of taste. Get over it.

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 77
It's what the US folks pour and spread on their toast that seperates them from Europe
biggrin.gif
Believe me, I've seen it
eek.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
It's what the US folks pour and spread on their toast that seperates them from Europe
biggrin.gif
Believe me, I've seen it
eek.gif

Toast on butter as oppose to butter on toast.
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
("an hotel" is the proper way to say that but it doesn't sound right to me!)

I think a hotel is correct because we (in the US) pronounce the "H" , but it would be an 'otel when the "h" is silent.

And yes, we eat toast. I hate getting it in restaurants because it's always cold by the time it's served, but I'll eat it at home sometimes, not often. Sometimes I'll toast some bread, stick a slice of cheese between two pieces and then microwave it for a few seconds to melt the cheese.

Apr 24, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticky
Really?!

Yes...... the correct way of saying "I stayed in a hotel" is "I stayed in an hotel"

Certain american bastardisations of the English language are unforgivable but in this instance "I stayed in a hotel" is the way I prefer to "say" it but if I were writing to a posh friend I would always write "I stayed in an hotel"

Sounds crazy but that's the English language
confused.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
I think a hotel is correct because we (in the US) pronounce the "H" , but it would be an 'otel when the "h" is silent.

And yes, we eat toast. I hate getting it in restaurants because it's always cold by the time it's served, but I'll eat it at home sometimes, not often. Sometimes I'll toast some bread, stick a slice of cheese between two pieces and then microwave it for a few seconds to melt the cheese.

The "English" Language has changed so much over the years and it was once mandatory to say "an hotel" but it seems the Oxford dictionary has changed the English language in keeping with the times:

"The form an for the indefinite article is used before a spoken vowel sound, regardless of how the written word is spelt. If you say 'an otel' when speaking (which is now often regarded as distinctly old-fashioned), then it may be appropriate for you to write 'an hotel'; but most people say 'hotel' with a sounded 'h', and should write 'a hotel'. By contrast, words such as 'honour', 'heir' or 'hour' in which the 'h' sound is dropped are written with 'an'. Americans who drop the 'h' in 'herb' may also prefer to write 'an herb', but in standard British pronunciation the 'h' is sounded, and 'a herb' is therefore correct in writing. Because 'European' is said with an initial 'y' sound, which counts as a consonantal sound in English speech, it is said (and written) with 'a' not 'an'. An abbreviation such as M.P., which is pronounced em pea, begins with a spoken vowel, and so it is 'an M.P.'"

Apr 24, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 77
i guess i'll share that for a more "down home" flavour, toast with mayonnaise and hot sauce is pretty good too.

but that's just my opinion of course.

Apr 24, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 77
I'm a Nutella kinda guy. Mmm Nutella.

Apr 24, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 77
I like a toasted bagel with Nutella for breakfast. I usually don't toast bread.
tongue.gif
Do bagels count?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back