Do ALL IEM's suffer from "footstep syndrome"?
Oct 9, 2006 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

velveteer

Head-Fier
It took me a while to learn that "microphonics" and what I like to call "shadowing" - that is, the lamentable aubibility of each and every footstep while using in-ear monitors - were two different phenomena.

Therefore, I must ask each of you: do ALL IEMs, regardless of price and brand, suffer from the terrible footstep syndrome?

I currently have Etymotic ER6i's, but want to switch over because whenever I use them to go walking, my footsteps disturb the music. Do the Shure E4Cs suffer from this too?

Maybe different tips would make a difference? New shoes? Ballet classes?

I use foamies. I realize these are probably prone to the footstep syndrome; but then, they sound so much better to me than triflanges...what is a man to do?

What brands, if any, fit in the ear in such a way as to silence all "shadowing" (the footstep syndrome)?

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 63
I've found that somehow "tethering" the cable makes a difference in damping the microphonics. For instance, using some type of a clip to hold the cable against your shirt, for instance, will help. My sf5p's don't experience this problem much when I have them looped around my ears. My Shures seems to have this problem unless I clip them to my clothing, which does help, but won't get rid of microphonics completely. Good luck.

-V-

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 63
Comply tips stop almost all footsteps.

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 63
He's not talking about cable noise. I had the E4 and had this same problem. When I went running, I heard the pounding of my feet in my head. IEMs are not a good choice for running, I'm afraid. I'll soon be getting some custom IEMs, but I'll probably just use iBuds for running. Unless, customs don't have this problem? Can anyone say whether or not customs do it?

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce
He's not talking about cable noise. I had the E4 and had this same problem. When I went running, I heard the pounding of my feet in my head. IEMs are not a good choice for running, I'm afraid. I'll soon be getting some custom IEMs, but I'll probably just use iBuds for running. Unless, customs don't have this problem? Can anyone say whether or not customs do it?

"Cable noise" is a general term.

Definition of "occlusion" is as follows:
The perception of increased loudness of a bone-conducted signal when the outer ear is somehow blocked (covered by earphone or earmold).

It's been more of a problem with some IEMs than others for me. Switching tips may help. I personally use the yellow Shure foamies.

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
Yup, my E4s have the same problem. Doesn't bother me much though.

It does not bother me one bit either. I guess people just enjoy being nit-picky. Also I only hear my footsteps when I have them on and no music is playing. Either that or I enjoy my music enough to not pay any attention. Just really not a big deal to me, I guess.

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 63
I've found after asking a number of people regarding the footsteps issue, there doesn't seem to be a consistent element that helps prevent this. I've switched out tips on my E500 and I can't get rid of the footsteps unless I change the way I walk. My brother has a pair of E2c and he doesn't hear his footsteps at all. Another friend has the UE-10 and doesn't hear his footsteps, one friend said that by improving his posture when walking that helped his footsteps issue...and so on. Experiment with tips. That's the best advice I guess. Some people have been able to get rid of it, others not.

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 63
you will get use to it, well... most likely...

I notice the same thing when I first got my IEM. Now, I hardly notice any at all.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back