Do ALL IEM's suffer from "footstep syndrome"?
Oct 11, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #46 of 63
Hi,

I have UE10's and can skip with the cable without any noise. OK, hurts my ears when I miss the wire and catch it with my foot.

WARNING: Do not try this at home

However, I do get footstep noise, but this is not so noticeable whilst music is playing. A slightly higher than normal volume also helps.

LOL

John

Oct 11, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #47 of 63
I was thinking of getting some IEM's, but you guys are making want to run as far away as possible. I may have to go with some portable phones instead for working out and commuting

Oct 11, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBe
I was thinking of getting some IEM's, but you guys are making want to run as far away as possible. I may have to go with some portable phones instead for working out and commuting

IEMs were originally designed for performing artists. Movement is not a foreign concept to them
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

I walk everywhere with IEM's in, but for physical exercise, I don't think they're appropriate because the sweat that builds up in your ears will cause them to fall out and/or become uncomfortable. And don't even consider using them whilst jogging outdoors. For everything else, fine

Oct 11, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328
I've found that somehow "tethering" the cable makes a difference in damping the microphonics. For instance, using some type of a clip to hold the cable against your shirt, for instance, will help. My sf5p's don't experience this problem much when I have them looped around my ears. My Shures seems to have this problem unless I clip them to my clothing, which does help, but won't get rid of microphonics completely. Good luck.

-V-

I've never notice any footstep noise. But i also have a couple cable clips and a snug-behind-the-head slider i made from a velcro cable band to secure the cable above the Y-split. This is on Ety ER4p. I don't seem to need any of this stuff on shures or UM2's.

Oct 11, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
Hi,

I have UE10's and can skip with the cable without any noise. OK, hurts my ears when I miss the wire and catch it with my foot.

WARNING: Do not try this at home

However, I do get footstep noise, but this is not so noticeable whilst music is playing. A slightly higher than normal volume also helps.

LOL

John

ok, you win. Until i bungee jump and rock climb with Ety cable attached to bungee

Oct 11, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

I commute three hours a day every day with my E4's, it's no problem at all. I believe that's what they are intended for: not hearing the bus/train/other people but only the music
biggrin.gif
. I wouldn't recommend working out or jogging though.

Oct 11, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #53 of 63
I get foodstep sound transmission or occlusion with the UE10s for sure. I am pretty sure it is bone transmission of sound=vibration from the footfalls. As such it should be present when the steps are not highly cushioned or done in a special way to minimize impact. It should be louder with custom iems since they are solid in the ear canal (more or less depending on if and how much silicone is used). Foamies and Comply tips, etc, should lessen the part transmitted from ear canal directly to iem, but there is always also the transmission of the sound to whatever air remains between iem and eardrum and to the eardrum from bone directly. The interesting thing is that you don't hear these vibrations when the canal is not occluded.

Oct 11, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
I walk everywhere with IEM's in, but for physical exercise, I don't think they're appropriate because the sweat that builds up in your ears will cause them to fall out and/or become uncomfortable.

Actually, sweat is not produced inside the ear. The lining of the ear canal contains modified sweat glands (ceruminous glands) that produce earwax.

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
Often it is, but in the particular case described in the OP it's not... it's simply conduction of sound through your skeletal structure. You can prove this by creating a situation where you hear your own footsteps (i.e. the 'footstep syndrome' as described in the OP) and carefully raising the IEM cable away from your body so that it doesn't touch anything. The noise won't diminish at all.

Oh yes.. Thank you, it was my bad. I was thinking that the vibration is caused by rubbing the wire against shirt or sth when walking. Yes this "footstep syndrome" cannot be avoided, but I hardly hear it, so it does not bother me. I believe the style/way of walking is a very important factor here.

And also I noticed the suction created by using silicon tips as well. What I do is try not to insert them too deep, I find they don't really isolate much more with deeper insertion and at the same time the sound from earphones become smaller due to the pressure change inside my ears. So I just insert them to the point where I'm about to feel it and just stop there.

One thing I noticed as well is that when using foamies they create some sort of rattling sound inside my ear, like if they are loose or sth but in fact they are not, which is kinda weird...

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #56 of 63
errorrrr said:
yea... footsteps arn't avoidable... and any internal noise coming from the body is unavoidable... you can hear your bone like click when you just move your jaws... you can't do anything about it unless you are completely stiff... eating with the IME is ver uncomfortable too... it's unavoidable :/
QUOTE]

Have you every made the mistake of using a Sonicare toothbrush with IEMS in?

BTW, I need to thank this group for the tip of putting the cords over your ears, even with ones that aren't designed this way. I was amazed that this completely eliminated my microphonics problems!

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555
And also I noticed the suction created by using silicon tips as well. What I do is try not to insert them too deep, I find they don't really isolate much more with deeper insertion and at the same time the sound from earphones become smaller due to the pressure change inside my ears. So I just insert them to the point where I'm about to feel it and just stop there.

One thing I noticed as well is that when using foamies they create some sort of rattling sound inside my ear, like if they are loose or sth but in fact they are not, which is kinda weird...

Agreed about the suction effect. As for the "rattling sound", is that a sort of clicking noise as you put them in or wiggle them around? I had that in one ear and at first I thought my UM2s were damaged, but it turned out I had some wax build-up and the problem went away after having my ears syringed.

Oct 11, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #58 of 63
My custom ES2s have no significant cable microphonics, but I take back what I posted earlier. I certainly do hear the thud of footfalls, and moreso when the seal of each earpiece is optimal (more/tighter contact with the bony structures at the ear canal entrance). Obviously less perceptible with loud music than quiet or no music. Less thud with my most cushioned Nikes and worst with most conventional shoes -- obviously.

I said no earlier. I apparently had become pretty accustomed to the thud and had tuned it out to some degree. I recall it was disturbing for a while when I first got the IEMs.

Oct 12, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry
Agreed about the suction effect. As for the "rattling sound", is that a sort of clicking noise as you put them in or wiggle them around? I had that in one ear and at first I thought my UM2s were damaged, but it turned out I had some wax build-up and the problem went away after having my ears syringed.

Nope.. its not ear wax. It's just like if the foams are not big enough to make a tight seal or sth, it sound quite like when ear wax rattles in ear but I don't hear that sound when I use ANY other tips, I change tips quite frequently just to play with the sound and never see that in any other tips.... but I do get a good seal though.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back