DNA Stellaris
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #588 of 683
My favorite rectifier with the Stratus v.4 is a vintage Ken Rad 5U4G that I picked up back in February from @RestoredSparda. It's really clean, dynamic and resolving. I had a very slight preference for it over the RCA 5U4G which has a similar sound profile. I like both of these quite a bit more than the old brown base GEC U52. I found that one was overly smooth, maybe too easygoing. It might just be my specific tube though, because I purchased it used and don't know how it tested.

I don't swap out tubes all that often and the Ken Rad hasn't been removed since I got it. Sometimes I get tempted to try a new production EML or Elrog, but I'm probably more likely to save the cash for more power tubes at some point.

Glad you like it! I found it insanely resolving. FYI I vastly preferred it over the EML Mesh, which I owned a few times.

I'm sticking with a Sylvania 5U4G for the moment which is a bit more laid back but very similar.

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #589 of 683
I was curious to try a Ken Rad 5u4g. @johnnypaddock is your Ken Rad 5u4g pre 1945 or is it a GE/Ken Rad? I'd like to be able to narrow my search.

I don't see a date code on the underside of the base, but here are some photos previously taken. It's JAN military production, VT-244 and from a quick search, i think this might be 1944.

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #591 of 683
Are there any amps that you've heard that you felt were as good or better than stellaris? Esp with the warmer sound signature.

I respect Donald's skill and business but waiting 1-2 years is just not for me right now.

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #592 of 683
Are there any amps that you've heard that you felt were as good or better than stellaris? Esp with the warmer sound signature.

I respect Donald's skill and business but waiting 1-2 years is just not for me right now.
Perhaps posting a WTB might bring someone out but I'm guessing there are only 30 or so in existence. That said, the down payment amount was/is low and fully refundable. Might as well put the money down and wait. If you're open to amps outside of 2A3, there are several popular 300b options in the market that have been favorably reviewed.

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #593 of 683
Perhaps posting a WTB might bring someone out but I'm guessing there are only 30 or so in existence. That said, the down payment amount was/is low and fully refundable. Might as well put the money down and wait. If you're open to amps outside of 2A3, there are several popular 300b options in the market that have been favorably reviewed.

which 300b amps you thinking ?

I am open to any and all tube amps. I do wonder if there is a good speaker integrated option because in speaker world there are so many more choices as you know.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #594 of 683
which 300b amps you thinking ?

I am open to any and all tube amps. I do wonder if there is a good speaker integrated option because in speaker world there are so many more choices as you know.
If you're not set on 2A3, there are many. The 300b thread has a trove of information - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphone-tube-amps-the-hunt-for-all-300b-tube-amps.962932/

on the 2A3 side, The Woo WA23 & 33 offerings are popular and commercially available, so the wait would be only a few weeks.

Oct 10, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #595 of 683
Anyone here have any experience with the CuTech XLR connectors on a DNA amp? How’s the fit? Too tight?

Oct 10, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #597 of 683
Oct 10, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #599 of 683
Arctic cables has them as an option. I’ve heard good things but they can sometimes be a little tight. If you search headfi you’ll find some info on them.
Scroll towards the bottom and you’ll see some connector options.
https://www.arcticcables.com/ac-store/Apeiron-Grand-Series-p459680305
Saw them now. Looks like a high quality connector but exclusively for Arctic cable. Indeed an interesting option. I used Neutrik and furutech connectors for mine with no issue. I guess you need to contact Arctic cables for some dimensions and a comparison to Neutrik dimensions would give you a good idea of they are gonna fit.

Oct 11, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #600 of 683
I have a Stellaris on the way and needless to say I’m extremely excited. I ordered it chiefly for my utopias but I’m hoping it will have enough current for my LCD-4s, which aren’t all that power hungry. Has anyone tried the LCD-4 with the Stellaris or even other DNA amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back