DNA Stellaris
May 2, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #181 of 695
That can't be right?
There had to be more than just 6 Stellaris made up to now.

This shouldn't come as a shock. Consider the price tag (+2X that of the Stratus) and the fact that newer (and modified) versions of the Stratus have much improved sonics at only a small increase in price.

Why buy the Stellaris? It has vastly improved dynamics and inner detail resolution, plus wider and deeper sounstage and quieter (believe or not), plus all the other stuff that Donald has stated. It's an end game in tube headphone amplifiers, and even beyond that he is open to customization.

I have nr. 4.

May 5, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #183 of 695
I've had both in house, though not at the same time. I did have the Stratus V2 side by side with the Teton - which is a much better comparison as far as technicalities go. Both are great, I personally lean towards the Stratus as far as preference in signature but I could see someone else liking the Teton. Having said that, for what the Teton does better that than the Stratus (sound stage size, etc) I would sooner get an EC amp over the Teton and something like a Balancing Act is more of what the Teton is, but the EC does it better. The Teton, at retail, does not represent a good value at all, it really should be priced closer to the Stratus/ZDS on sonics alone.

May 5, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #184 of 695
Thanks for the reply @bigfatpaulie. So overall for someone on a limited budget, would you say spending it on the Stratus and upgrading the tubes would be the better route to go with? So by that I'm assuming the Stellaris is a step above the teton at least? I am also debating on whether I should either buy a WA2 and upgrade to a better amp in the future or to just jump the gun and go for an end game amp like the ones mentioned. However, I'd be stuck with driving the HD800 with a DX200 for longer to stretch my budget further. Kind of just trying to figure out which are the best amps out there to drive them to their full potential.

May 5, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #185 of 695
When you ask, 'spending money on the Stratus and upgrading the tubes would be the better route to go with?' You mean versus the Teton? Yes, I personally would take the Stratus with stock tubes over the Teton. The Stratus with some really nice glass is even more of a clear choice over the Teton, to me.

Here's how I feel about it all having been there - if you are rally into the hobby and have been in it for a while don't wast time fooling around with mid-fi. You'll inevitably end up upgrading and have wasted money in the intern. Learn to be patient and save up for what's best. I would also try and find ways to hear the stuff, however, as everyone is different in what they enjoy and listening, not reading, really is the only definitive way. I found when I did a lot of reading, especially early on, I built an impression of what I thought I valued in an audio system. It turned out my preferences were different than what I believed them to be and I only discovered that by listening. Being in Australia you have an advantage because you have some of the most hardcore and experienced headphone users right at home!

The Stellaris is in a league of its own when it comes to amps with only really one competitor - at least of everything I've heard, both more and less expensive. The Studio and Stellairs are both top of their class, but have extremely different characteristics. They truly are an apple and an orange.

When you say, "stuck" I'm not sure what you mean by that... The HD800 is, to me, still the best best headphone, when driven correctly and a few minor adjustments, bar none. It is not, nor ever will be, the bottleneck.

May 5, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #186 of 695
It's really really hard to compare both amps. I have the teton and the stratus. Both are end game with the hd800 but the tubes have such an impact on the end sound so it's a matter of preference. The teton has cheaper and much better tube availability. The stellaris is blue.

May 5, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #187 of 695
Thanks for the indepth reply guys. Really appreciated. I think I'll save up to get a Stratus as I feel thats more value for money as apposed to the stellaris, and teton as you have said. By "Stuck" I meant I would be using my DX200's internal amp to drive the HD800 and I doubt it will have enough power and authority to make them sing when compared to a standalone desktop amp since I don't have any other amps at the moment. That's why I was deciding whether to buy a good amp around the $1000-2000 budget for now and then saving up for a better one later down the road or just skipping straight to the best. The Stratus would cost $4k+ after conversion rate from usd and shipping no doubt, which is a big jump in price. Going with the latter would mean I'd be "stuck" using the HD800 with DX200 for longer and not be able to enjoy the headphone's full capabilities. That is the dilemma I'm currently facing.

May 6, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #189 of 695
It is an improved version of Stratus (various upgrades). At least one user here knows about the difference between the Stratus "v2" and Stellaris, and from what I remember they are not the same.

May 6, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #190 of 695
Probably the biggest differences between the modified Stratus and the Stellaris are in the power supply and output transformers of the Stellaris.

May 6, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #191 of 695
... and both of those usually have great impact on the sound quality, power supply in general case, and output transformer quality in case of the OTC tube amps.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #192 of 695
... and both of those usually have great impact on the sound quality, power supply in general case, and output transformer quality in case of the OTC tube amps.

True, but on the other hand, the Stratus is and has never been no slouch either. I have faith that the Stellaris is undoubtfully better, but I'm also certain, reading the numbers @MusicJunky is quoting, that for his budget, the diminishing returns law kicks in quite hard with a Stellaris.

I'm more than happy with my Stratus (latest updates) and, while I like reading about the Stellaris, else I wouldn't be here in this thread, I will probably never be able to swing that kind of money for audio gear. At least for some decades to come (first need to buy a house, new car by then, probably some costly children, ...)...

So I'm very happy where I am; many regard the Stratus very well in end game territory already. So I made peace with what I have, which for me is crazy enough already, and enjoy the fruits of it every day instead of worrying what last few drops I'm missing out on.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #193 of 695
True, but on the other hand, the Stratus is and has never been no slouch either. I have faith that the Stellaris is undoubtfully better, but I'm also certain, reading the numbers @MusicJunky is quoting, that for his budget, the diminishing returns law kicks in quite hard with a Stellaris.

Yes, that is certainly true, even for the first version of the stock model of the Stratus. I was probably one of the first to modify a Stratus: I did so based mainly on Doanld's suggestions. I didn't do that much (dig around on the Stratus Thread, and you'll find it there), but the impact was immediate and beneficial. I have not heard the V2 version. My decision to sell my Stratus (mods and all) and buy a Stellaris was based on the sonic differences Donald and which I hear, now.

I think, a main consideration in the decision to buy one of these amps has a lot to do with the music one listens to. If you don't listen to complex music , the Stratus is a fabulous buy. If you do listen to very fast and orchestrally dense music with a wide dynamic range, the Stellaris is the star of the two. (However, I can also differences in solo classical music (think Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites and Violin Sonatas and Partitas, you will hear more detail and "air" with the Stellaris. On these pieces, it is also possible to more easil hear differences between HIP and non-Hip performances of the cello suites, not to mention subtle and not so subtle differences in identical symphonic music pieces with different conductors and orchestras.

What is more, this can be done with less-than-flagship headphones!

May 6, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #194 of 695
It is an improved version of Stratus (various upgrades). At least one user here knows about the difference between the Stratus "v2" and Stellaris, and from what I remember they are not the same.

No. The Stratus is the Stratus and the Stellaris is the Stallairs: totally different amps.

The Stratus has been through 2 revisions. The very first Stratus' were "V1", then Donald did some upgrade adding a few chokes, etc and that was V2. This was the version of the Stratus I had. Finally the current one has been upgraded further and it is V3. Give the Stratus thread a read, it's all in there.

May 6, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #195 of 695
No. The Stratus is the Stratus and the Stellaris is the Stallairs: totally different amps.

The Stratus has been through 2 revisions. The very first Stratus' were "V1", then Donald did some upgrade adding a few chokes, etc and that was V2. This was the version of the Stratus I had. Finally the current one has been upgraded further and it is V3. Give the Stratus thread a read, it's all in there.

That depends on your definition of "totally different". The typology is the same. The power supply is a different circuit. The driver and output stages are the same, but the Stellaris uses much better components, all around. AN(UK), the OPTs being quite different (much better than) in the Stratus. They are copper Double C-Core Transformers (as opposed to EI construction), and are mounted externally on top of the case, instead of the inside. The circuit wiring is copper, as in Stratus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back