DNA Stellaris
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #122 of 683
Let's just remember, we like what we want to hear and/or what we are used to, and that as a reference for comparing everything else. These comparisons are all personal, unless you are also a DIY builder, in which case you let the math determine what you like. But for the rest of us slobs.....

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #123 of 683
Even given the previous comments, would still be interesting to see a comparison between this and the WA33. Have heard from others that the WA33 is supposed to sound better than the WA234.

Can't come close to affording either right now, but someday in the near future perhaps...

Anyone have extensive experience driving planars, especially Audezes, with the Stratus or Stellaris? Would be interested in seeing opinions. Sounds like the sound signature is exactly perfect given my tastes.

I have to say, also very much love that blue...rare to see brightly colored amps, and I think that's a shame.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #124 of 683
I may never hear the WA33 so I can't help you there. I don't understand why so many people gravitate towards Woo... They make over priced amp after over priced amp yet people still always seem to salivate over their next monstrosity. I guess looks matter a lot to people...

I had LCD3f's, Code-X's and Abyss with my Stratus. I've also use the Susvara with my Stellairs. In all cases the DNA amps did really well. North once mentioned to me that after HD800's most Stratus owners used Audeze's. I suspect that that has changed as I know there are a lot of HE1000 owners now. What I am trying to say is that either of the DNA amps are near ideal pairings.

Nov 4, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #125 of 683
I may never hear the WA33 so I can't help you there. I don't understand why so many people gravitate towards Woo... They make over priced amp after over priced amp yet people still always seem to salivate over their next monstrosity. I guess looks matter a lot to people...

I had LCD3f's, Code-X's and Abyss with my Stratus. I've also use the Susvara with my Stellairs. In all cases the DNA amps did really well. North once mentioned to me that after HD800's most Stratus owners used Audeze's. I suspect that that has changed as I know there are a lot of HE1000 owners now. What I am trying to say is that either of the DNA amps are near ideal pairings.
Thanks for the info! Yeah I’ve also never gotten into Woo amps after I’ve tried them. They’re kinda stale to me and seem quite thin for a tube amp. IMO the Stratus looks more intriguing then the Woo amps. I love the unique smurf blue it uses, it really adds design character to the amp.

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #126 of 683

Good to know. I don’t necessarily have any thoughts about Woo other than that they’re one of only a handful of companies building tube amps that might pair well with planars. Although defintely very expensive....sorry to hear they don’t live up to their price tags. Glad to hear that the DNA amps pair well with Audeze, might be the new long-term target then. I’m assuming the voltage swing is pretty decent on both amps, although it’s not listed on his site.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #127 of 683

Actually the WA33 is one impressive sounding tube amp! It definitely impressed me at RMAF last year and was one of my favourite new releases at the show.

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #128 of 683
I've seen that many of the Stellaris and more likely the Stratus users utilizing the Shuguang 2A3C-T output tubes. What is the difference between the "plain" 2A3C and the "T" version besides that the latter one is dark in colour and steeper in price?

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #129 of 683
A question for all you lucky ones out there. Does this have the same sound signature as the Stratus? I've owned the Stratus for over a year now and it's still amazing with the HD800. I have the Stellaris on order but I'm debating if I should sell the Stratus or listen to them both and make a decision.
I'm looking for if it's warmer or cooler, anything easily obvious different from the Stratus apart from things like bass control, details, speed etc.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #130 of 683
I've seen that many of the Stellaris and more likely the Stratus users utilizing the Shuguang 2A3C-T output tubes. What is the difference between the "plain" 2A3C and the "T" version besides that the latter one is dark in colour and steeper in price?
The 2A3C version is the stock tube with the amp, nothing special. The T version is different and for some a favourite with HD800.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #131 of 683
A question for all you lucky ones out there. Does this have the same sound signature as the Stratus? I've owned the Stratus for over a year now and it's still amazing with the HD800. I have the Stellaris on order but I'm debating if I should sell the Stratus or listen to them both and make a decision.
I'm looking for if it's warmer or cooler, anything easily obvious different from the Stratus apart from things like bass control, details, speed etc.

Very similar sound signature. In my experience the differences are exactly as you state: bass control, details and speed are kicked up a notch. At the micro level it may make bloomier power tubes (like the Shuguang 2A3C-T you just mentioned) a bit more lean because they are controlled better, but it might be a hard job to pick that out when listening.

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #132 of 683
Agreed. Everything is tighter, faster, more detailed and just all around ramped up while still maintaining the same signature. Think of the Stellaris as a Stratus on steroids. It is highly detailed but maintains that same fluid musicality of the Stratus with a touch of that tube-like romance.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #133 of 683
Very similar sound signature. In my experience the differences are exactly as you state: bass control, details and speed are kicked up a notch. At the micro level it may make bloomier power tubes (like the Shuguang 2A3C-T you just mentioned) a bit more lean because they are controlled better, but it might be a hard job to pick that out when listening.

Duid you ever get to do that 4 way shootout with the Aficionado/Zana & the Stellaris/Stratus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back