DNA Sonett - First Impressions
Aug 18, 2009 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Berlioz

100+ Head-Fier
Because I don't think that I have enough equipment to do this amplifier justice, I'm going to hold off on doing a full review. What follows, is merely my first impressions of the product; a sort of mini-review.

(Click for a bigger picture!)
Attachment 19931

It's safe to say that today is going extremely well. I slept in, only waking to the sound of the doorbell, and saw a pretty cute UPS girl at my doorstep. She seemed taken aback at my groggy appearance, but didn't hesitate to ding me for $80 in brokerage fees. "D-N-A Audio...what's in the box?" she asked.

I realized I didn't have any socks on. "A headphone amplifier." She raised an eyebrow, looking slightly confused until *SLAM* - I closed the door. Well, that takes care of that, onto the review!

Packaging
The outer cardboard box was certainly dented and bruised, obviously a veteran of the belt driven horrors that are the UPS distribution centres. However, the amplifier inside was spotless. There wasn't even a mote of dust on the entire unit; I have to say I'm very impressed. It came with firm, molded foam inserts, and a variety of plastic covers. The power cables and tubes came in a separate bag, which was also padded with bubble wrap. There was no shipping damage to anything, whatsoever.

Aesthetics

People say that the looks don't really matter...fine, but this amplifier looks ridiculously good. I think Donald was going for an art deco look here - he nailed it. The blue colour is actually a lot deeper than it looks on his website, and it looks great. The unit itself is also bigger than I thought it would be, with quite a bit of heft to it. My dad (40+ years of metal fabricating experience) said that the workmanship on the chassis was some of the best he's ever seen. I didn't really understand what he was talking about, but apparently the way the corners have been pressed together, and the way the piece of metal has been cut, is very well done.

There are labels for the tube sockets, and the the protruding components all line up perfectly. The rear panel is uncluttered; the entire amp just screams efficiency and minimalism. The tubes don't light up like a lantern either, having a dull orange glow at their extremities. People who like to see bright, molten red mesh plates might be a bit turned off by this, but it's a non issue for myself.

Personally, I think Donald should put more pictures of the unit up on his site, as the ones he currently has don't quite capture it.

Sound
I have no DAC yet, so I used my Denon DN-C615 as a transport and source. It's a very clean CD player, and it definitely shone through the Sonett. For monitoring, I used my Shure SE530's. I realize that this situation is far from ideal, which is why this is a mini review!

With no outboard DAC, and a pair of IEM's, you'd expect this amplifier to perform pretty poorly. Thankfully, I like surprises. First things first, this amp is amazingly quiet. Honestly, I have to resort to expletives just to describe how quiet it is. There is zero hum when the SE530's are plugged in. Considering how many tube amps I've tried, and how often I hear that dreaded, resonating hum, I am blown away that this amp can sound so quiet.

As for music, I threw all of my favourite recordings at it. At first, the pile of CD's was pretty small, but as I found what this amplifier is capable of doing for my recordings, it grew and grew, until maybe half of my collection was sitting on the kitchen table. I'll start at the low end of the audible range.

For bass, this amp is probably the best I've ever heard. While House is not exactly a genre associated with audiophiles, I like it a lot, and I always demo amps with a least one House album, and I am almost always disappointed. This amp has extremely tight, bouncy, punchy bass. There is something else going on though, and I'll try to describe it as best I can. The bass seems to know it's place. The low bass sinks under the mid bass and upper bass, when you want it to, but really hits you in the chest when it should. The upper bass in particular is like nothing I've ever heard. It dives in and out, always present, always well defined. I ended up hearing a lot of small, subtle transients, which added a whole new dimension onto one of my favourite genres.

For the mid range, this amp has that characteristic tubey smoothness, only it takes it one step further. It also has that sparkle, that...analytical neutrality that you'd find in an SS amp. I played some acoustic flamenco guitar, as well as some Clapton and Dylan, and it was hard to take it all in at once. The guitar is so edgy and real, but the voice is so smooth and believable. At no point did I feel that the sound had been smoothed over so much that I was losing detail. Rather, it seemed like I was getting all the details, with a very smooth and lucid presentation.

The amplifier has the exact same qualities for the treble as it does for the midrange. I can't say that it's more analytical than any SS amp that I've heard; my friends SPL Phonitor may even be more analytical. However, it is much more musical and involving than any SS amp I remember hearing. My friend plans to bring over his Phonitor for some head to head comparisons. I look forward to making a tube convert out of him.

Summary
Alright, this review was actually pretty long. However, I think the amplifier is definitely deserving of such praise. I wouldn't hesitate to send something back if I wasn't satisified with it, but there's literally nothing wrong I can say about the Sonett. But don't believe me, try and find someone who's willing to lend you one, and experience it for yourself.

It's minimalistic design and presentation is exactly what a headphone amplifier should be, at least in my opinion. The faithful, yet musical sound it produces is something that I've yet to hear from another tube amp (which have always sounded slightly warm to me). I'll sum it up with one of my favourite quotes:

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupry

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 15
sounds good .. this amp is on my short list of possible future acquisitions

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 15
Berlioz,

Your experience mirrors mine. The sound is very well balanced, with tight tuneful bass. Detailed, without ever sounding harsh or fatiguing. It's just a well rounded, great sounding amp.

I also dig the looks. Very clean and retro looking, with good fit and finish. The amp also runs cool for a tube amp, which gives a lot of flexibility with placement. The volume pot is very smooth and has a perfect range.

Overall I think Donald did a great job with this one. A very well thought out amp, with quality parts, and a clean design. I think I'll go enjoy mine right now!!

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I don't think that I have enough equipment to do this amplifier justice, I'm going to hold off on doing a full review. What follows, is merely my first impressions of the product; a sort of mini-review.

(Click for a bigger picture!)
Attachment 19931

It's safe to say that today is going extremely well. I slept in, only waking to the sound of the doorbell, and saw a pretty cute UPS girl at my doorstep. She seemed taken aback at my groggy appearance, but didn't hesitate to ding me for $80 in brokerage fees. "D-N-A Audio...what's in the box?" she asked.

I realized I didn't have any socks on. "A headphone amplifier." She raised an eyebrow, looking slightly confused until *SLAM* - I closed the door. Well, that takes care of that, onto the review!

Packaging
The outer cardboard box was certainly dented and bruised, obviously a veteran of the belt driven horrors that are the UPS distribution centres. However, the amplifier inside was spotless. There wasn't even a mote of dust on the entire unit; I have to say I'm very impressed. It came with firm, molded foam inserts, and a variety of plastic covers. The power cables and tubes came in a separate bag, which was also padded with bubble wrap. There was no shipping damage to anything, whatsoever.

Aesthetics

People say that the looks don't really matter...fine, but this amplifier looks ridiculously good. I think Donald was going for an art deco look here - he nailed it. The blue colour is actually a lot deeper than it looks on his website, and it looks great. The unit itself is also bigger than I thought it would be, with quite a bit of heft to it. My dad (40+ years of metal fabricating experience) said that the workmanship on the chassis was some of the best he's ever seen. I didn't really understand what he was talking about, but apparently the way the corners have been pressed together, and the way the piece of metal has been cut, is very well done.

There are labels for the tube sockets, and the the protruding components all line up perfectly. The rear panel is uncluttered; the entire amp just screams efficiency and minimalism. The tubes don't light up like a lantern either, having a dull orange glow at their extremities. People who like to see bright, molten red mesh plates might be a bit turned off by this, but it's a non issue for myself.

Personally, I think Donald should put more pictures of the unit up on his site, as the ones he currently has don't quite capture it.

Sound
I have no DAC yet, so I used my Denon DN-C615 as a transport and source. It's a very clean CD player, and it definitely shone through the Sonett. For monitoring, I used my Shure SE530's. I realize that this situation is far from ideal, which is why this is a mini review!

With no outboard DAC, and a pair of IEM's, you'd expect this amplifier to perform pretty poorly. Thankfully, I like surprises. First things first, this amp is amazingly quiet. Honestly, I have to resort to expletives just to describe how quiet it is. There is zero hum when the SE530's are plugged in. Considering how many tube amps I've tried, and how often I hear that dreaded, resonating hum, I am blown away that this amp can sound so quiet.

As for music, I threw all of my favourite recordings at it. At first, the pile of CD's was pretty small, but as I found what this amplifier is capable of doing for my recordings, it grew and grew, until maybe half of my collection was sitting on the kitchen table. I'll start at the low end of the audible range.

For bass, this amp is probably the best I've ever heard. While House is not exactly a genre associated with audiophiles, I like it a lot, and I always demo amps with a least one House album, and I am almost always disappointed. This amp has extremely tight, bouncy, punchy bass. There is something else going on though, and I'll try to describe it as best I can. The bass seems to know it's place. The low bass sinks under the mid bass and upper bass, when you want it to, but really hits you in the chest when it should. The upper bass in particular is like nothing I've ever heard. It dives in and out, always present, always well defined. I ended up hearing a lot of small, subtle transients, which added a whole new dimension onto one of my favourite genres.

For the mid range, this amp has that characteristic tubey smoothness, only it takes it one step further. It also has that sparkle, that...analytical neutrality that you'd find in an SS amp. I played some acoustic flamenco guitar, as well as some Clapton and Dylan, and it was hard to take it all in at once. The guitar is so edgy and real, but the voice is so smooth and believable. At no point did I feel that the sound had been smoothed over so much that I was losing detail. Rather, it seemed like I was getting all the details, with a very smooth and lucid presentation.

The amplifier has the exact same qualities for the treble as it does for the midrange. I can't say that it's more analytical than any SS amp that I've heard; my friends SPL Phonitor may even be more analytical. However, it is much more musical and involving than any SS amp I remember hearing. My friend plans to bring over his Phonitor for some head to head comparisons. I look forward to making a tube convert out of him.

Summary
Alright, this review was actually pretty long. However, I think the amplifier is definitely deserving of such praise. I wouldn't hesitate to send something back if I wasn't satisified with it, but there's literally nothing wrong I can say about the Sonett. But don't believe me, try and find someone who's willing to lend you one, and experience it for yourself.

It's minimalistic design and presentation is exactly what a headphone amplifier should be, at least in my opinion. The faithful, yet musical sound it produces is something that I've yet to hear from another tube amp (which have always sounded slightly warm to me). I'll sum it up with one of my favourite quotes:

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupry

Berlioz,

Good first impressions! Your sentiments echo mine! Here are a few of my own observation to maybe pique a bit more interest. (I have a full DRAFT already worked up, and am now word-smithing, correcting grammar, and ensuring accuracy.)

Quote from the review: "As much as I tried, I could hear no noise from the DNA Sonett, even with the ES3X! There was no hiss or hum, even at full volume, sans what was already present in the recording itself! The DNA Sonett is dead quiet, a remarkable achievement in tube design."

I found the Sonett's sound "cohesive" top to bottom. Normal adjectives fail to describe whatever music is played through the amp , other than a critique of the performance itself. As I listened to music, I found myself so emotionally involved, that I forgot to take notes.

Great thoughts re Sonett's aesthetics--they are unique and refreshing.

Quote from the review: "From an industrial design perspective, the DNA Sonett reminds me of a piece of art that doesn’t take itself too seriously. It looks playful, not stodgy or bland black. Unexpectedly, the volume knob looks like something from a laboratory, like a Leica microscope or a micrometer, beckoning, “...turn me!”

Stay tuned!

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 15
Coming from someone that has grown up with House music (considering Chicago at one point in time was THE House Capital of the World), I fully approve and endorsre your House listening habits
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 15
Nice review. Reading it makes me want to go back to tube. I do like it's look. If this amp is really as good as it said, it going to be a giant killer. Looking forward to the comparison with SPL Phonitor.

Aug 20, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 15
I have had mine since mid-June and it never fails to perform or satisfy. A very stable platform for any and all impedances, the amp sparkles and scales very well with quality source and phones. Stellar with the HD800!

I have experimented with premium parts and NOS tubes for a rather eargasmic experience. Great design with a output tube that is a boon to headphone listening. It's nice to "hear" that the IEM's are well served...I'm getting the molds done on Friday for the JH13 PRO and I was wondering if the lack of noise was going to be maintained even with the IEM's.

Nice impressions Sir!! This Amp definitely needs the exposure!

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had mine since mid-June and it never fails to perform or satisfy. A very stable platform for any and all impedances, the amp sparkles and scales very well with quality source and phones. Stellar with the HD800!

I have experimented with premium parts and NOS tubes for a rather eargasmic experience. Great design with a output tube that is a boon to headphone listening. It's nice to "hear" that the IEM's are well served...I'm getting the molds done on Friday for the JH13 PRO and I was wondering if the lack of noise was going to be maintained even with the IEM's.

Nice impressions Sir!! This Amp definitely needs the exposure!

achristilaw, from my experience with the ES3X, you should be good to go with the JH13PRO. Care to share your tweaks re the parts upgrades, and NOS tubes? Have you replaced the 5AR4? Donald said that he will be trying out the DR version of the 6H30. The Sovtek is surprisingly good though.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
achristilaw, from my experience with the ES3X, you should be good to go with the JH13PRO. Care to share your tweaks re the parts upgrades, and NOS tubes? Have you replaced the 5AR4? Donald said that he will be trying out the DR version of the 6H30. The Sovtek is surprisingly good though.

PM sent....

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 15
Having spent a few more days with this amp, and having explored more of my music collection, I'd just like to add a few more comments onto my first impressions.

About the hum

It truly is amazing how quiet this amplifier is. After more listening, If I listen very carefully, I can hear an extremely faint noise when the volume is turned up to around 8 out of 10 and beyond. Of course, this is a ridiculous setting for IEMs; with the gain switch set to "Low" I usually sit around 2 or 3.

More on the sound

Staging/Imaging

The soundstaging on the amplifier seems to be slightly increased over the CD player alone. Furthermore, the imaging ability is vastly improved. For classical music in particular, there is now quite a bit more to listen for, versus my DAP (which isn't too shabby for a portable). The increased imaging creates a much more realistic experience, and also adds yet more variables to my listening, and to music in general.

Treble

I feel I did this amp an injustice by not commenting on the treble when I first wrote my impressions; there is certainly more going on. The treble is well defined, even on the SE530's which are known for their roll off in that area. Again, many details are revealed, which were previously hidden by the (probably atrocious) headphone amp built into the CD player. Another point of importance is that the treble has gained more depth - I can now distinguish the beginning, middle, and end of many high notes. Rostropovich's rendition of Bach's Cello Suites are even more incredible, and I find myself losing track of a great deal of time exploring my classical collection with this amp.

Vocals

Looking at previous comments, one could probably guess a great a deal about the vocals on this amp, which fall into the midrange anyways. There are just a few details I'd like to add, which may not be so obvious. The vocals are very well defined, and the neutrality of this amp leaves nothing altered or hidden. More importantly though, I find them to be hauntingly intimate. This term is tossed around quite a bit with tube amps, but the inherent warmth of said amps is always a problem with me. For those seeking the detail of an SS amp with the emotion of a tube amp, this is easily the closest I've ever heard, although of course, I'm sure other candidates exist out there.

One thing I can say though - Nick Drake? ****ing ridiculous on this amplifier. I bought the Nick Drake collectors box sometime ago, and I only listened to maybe a dozen or so songs regularly. Out of all my music, these albums have easily received the greatest improvement. I'm listening to it now, and I feel pretty stupid for not listening to so many of his other songs. It's often said that great equipment will influence a persons taste in genres and open their eyes (or ears?) to more music. Never a bad thing I say.

Other Observations

Poor recordings

There are some shortcomings that come with this amp. I find some of my bad recordings are now almost unbearable to listen to. Even with computer speakers, it is easy to hear if a track has had loudness alterations. However, a lower quality system will usually cover up any other faults. I have a few remasters of Elton John albums, and they sound regrettably terrible. On my DAP, some of them sound really, really good (although loud). It's unfortunate that I'll have to spring for some of the ridiculous Japanese masters, but it's also a testament to the revealing quality of this amp.

Temperature

Having played the amp for a good 4-5 hours straight at some times, I can attest that it gets fairly warm, although never too hot to touch (not even close!). The tubes themselves are obviously very hot, and the transformer gets hotter than I would have expected, but everything seems pretty solid. The entire chassis stays quite cool, and I have to say I'm very satisfied with the heat distribution. I've definitely felt SS amps that get a lot hotter.

Closing comments

I will either get a PS Audio Digital Link iii, or a Meier StageDAC to pair up with this. The StageDAC has an output control though, so I may not get it to avoid double amping. Whatever the case, impressions of the pairing with the Sonett will follow. The Grado HF-2's will arrive in two weeks at the latest, so I'll post on their synergy with the Sonett when they're burned in. I don't like zealously recommending my own purchases, but I can honestly say that this amp has blown away my expectations. It's guaranteed that the Sonett isn't for everyone out there, but if you are curious, I highly suggest that you at least send a question Donald's way.

He was very helpful throughout the whole process, answering my questions about the amp and even on what sources I should pair with it. My PayPal account also prevented me from using my credit card until I was verified, so there was a great deal of waiting time. Donald was very patient throughout the whole process, and constantly sent me updates. Within an hour of the amp being delivered to my house, I received an email from him asking me if everything was alright with it, and how it sounded. I have to say, this is probably the best buying experience I ever had, and I'm sure any other Sonett owners will get the same treatment.

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 15
Berlioz,

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions. This just confirm again the Sonett deserves more visibility in this community.

I have always wanted to listen to the Sonett since Donald released it a few months back. Unfortunately this amp is up to this moment only available for US supply and one for 220/230/240V countries won't be available any time soon.

If you plan to get a DAC to pair with the Sonett, and if you computer audio a lot, I would suggest you consider giving the Wavelength Cosecant V3 a try. From what you write about the Sonett, I would think they are going to be a very good match.

I quite like the physical presentation of the Sonett - clean, unique, but still understated. Just the way I want it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again.
F. Lo

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm not an amp designer, but I suspect it's the SET zero-feedback design which leads to the organic, coherent sound. I've heard a couple of such amps now, and they are like nothing else. Amps which use feedback are always going to have a more complex time-domain behavior. Push-pull amps are always going to have something funny going on at the crossover, however subtle. A SET zero-feedback gets away from both those effects.

The other SET zero-feedback amp I've heard is the Audio Note Kit 1.

Audio Note has a similar philosophy to Don. They regard their SET zero-feedback amps as the best they make.

May 15, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #15 of 15
I purchased this off the forums yesterday evening, and I have to say, apart from being the most expensive amplifier I have bought to date, the mid-bass is phenomenal! I am listening to the balanced version with a pair of HD650s and I have never heard drums and bass guitars sound like this before! The HD650s even have enough PRAT now to keep up with some of the harder/faster rock in my collection (Hendrix is great fun).

Time to get a balanced cables for my grado HF-2's I think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back