DNA Sonett 2
May 22, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #76 of 157
 @Cante Ista I hope so, I hope so
beerchug.gif

That been said, I took a real risk when I ordered the Sonett and bought the Metrum. I was really really happy with my Rega+MG Head + HD800 rig. but I crossed the road of a Balancing Act+ Totaldac RIG and I understood suddenly that my HD800 could sound better
rolleyes.gif
. You know what I mean...  That's the reason why I took the risk of the Sonett : purchasing something closer to what I heard from the Eddie Current Balancing Act and its perfect mix of clarity and smoothness without artificial warmth.  I read DNA amps share the same spirit with EC amps so.. Here I am  :wink:

May 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #77 of 157
  I have read impressions previously from folks that enjoyed Sonett and Grado -- perhaps different strokes.....
In any case, I just wonna say that I listened to the my Sonett at work yesterday with AKGk702 (which is now few years old and well burned in) and it was SOOOOOO good! Even though I have some other TOTL amps and headphones, i think that I would still be very happy if I only had the Sonett and my AKG. I can't believe that there aren't more new owners posting about this gem. 

Well I'd be using my Senn's about 90% of the time so no biggie, I was just hoping for a bit of playing nice with the Grado's.

May 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #78 of 157

Well I'd be using my Senn's about 90% of the time so no biggie, I was just hoping for a bit of playing nice with the Grado's.

Fair enough. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #79 of 157
Hi Guys, It's time to give more impressions after a month. I wrote it in another thread  so I paste it here:

I pair My Sonett 2 with a Metrum Octave MKI and my HD800.  The result is perfectly good . I could say outstandingly good but I'm not so experienced so I cant' really compare to the best offers on the market. I hope to compare soon my rig against the Eddie Current Balancing Act + Totaldac I speak about above but I hadn't the opportunity yet. 

The amp seems solid , simple & reliable.  I've opted for the TKS potentiometer and setting the volume on the sonett 2 is very smooth and precise. No channel imbalance at all even at very low volume.  I use only low gain and low impedance settings for my HD800 even at loud levels for Classical.  My average volume settings for serious listenings is around 5 ( 10 is the max) , when I want to have serious listenings of classical music, i set the volume to 7.   So I think the amp have all the needed power. I've only uses the SE output until now

The first point I really appreciate is the fact that the Sonett keeps all the dynamics at different volumes. from the lowest to the loudest, the music seems to sound exactly the same : balanced , bodied , dynamic. 

When i discovered the amp, two point impressed me : First of all, the authority: My HD800 seems perfectly under control . I've always found the HD800 had impressive bass ( tight , fast , precise) but with the Sonett 2 Authority, my HD800  gained some more slam and body in the bass departement. Overally the authority and control the Sonnet provides an obviously clean sound. Think "Solid State". no wooly bass and wet mids or loose treble here. Clean power and authority.

The second point is the soundstage. We all know that the soundstage of the HD800 is impressive but can lack a bit of depth.  with the Sonnet 2 it  seems the depth increases seriously but moreover it seems i could now see more clearly the background of the soundstage. the effect is a clear upgrade in layering . Width stays impressive too .

The oeverall result of Bass and Sub bass slam and soundstage depth increase is that the HD800 produce a better, more realistic image . HD800 imaging capabilities are always very good but with the Sonett it's even better and it reminds me my first try with the Balancing Act from which my HD800 gave me the better sound I've ever heard. I tried the Abyss and consider it provides the best image I heard. But well amped, the HD800 comes close, very close IMO.

Since I received my Sonett  2 , I listened to 50 or 60 hours of music. Before i have the Sonett 2 I always had difficulties to listen to some of my music because of some harshness on average recording. For example  this album

I discovered these Last weeks with the Sonnet 2 that this music became perfectly enjoyable without any trouble. Overally, it seems the HD800 became more forgiving.

The first day I listened to the Sonett 2, I was even a bit disappointed because I thought my HD800 was a bit denatured and sounded suddenly too smooth lol.  Indeed, I found the Combo gained a lot for Electro/Funk/Jazz-Rock/Fusion but lost something for Classical. Metrum + Sonett seemed to sound a bit too dark & thick. Then I swapped the Stock JJ GZ34 rectifier tube for a NOS Mullard one... It seems everything is perfect for my ears now. I have both slam, body and Impact and I recovered the clarity and refinement i really need. Maybe the Mullard brings a pinch of Euphony too. I need to do some serious comparison during next weeks to be sure but right now I don't want to unplug the Mullard.

You can notice I don't talk about HD800 trebles at all.  Maybe I'm habituated now but since I have the Metrum Octave , HD800 treble didn't bother me anymore. The Metrum Dac brings something special to the overall tone. Sound didn't became meaty or juicy. Metrum offers a more "solid" sound. Thick but dry IMO.  The word "earthy" comes to my mind. not muddy at all. Besides that, The Sonnett 2 adds both authority & smoothness/liquidity.

The complete combo Dac+Amp does marvels with my Senn and right now I'm happy with the Result  but I'm still in the first time with the combo ( Honeymoon bias) . The most impressive upgrade is that I feel my complete rig sounds now  "right" for my tastes an the music I listen to . But time will tell me if i'm autobiased or if I'm done for my single ended HD800 Rig . The truth is that I've the worst difficulties to stop to listen to Music when I have my headphone on my head
wink.gif

Oh . and I like the Donald's blue
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #80 of 157
I wonder if Sonett 2 or even the original can drive the new HE560. Donald, could you chime in please?

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #81 of 157
 @Cante Ista
I hope so, I hope so :beerchug:

That been said, I took a real risk when I ordered the Sonett and bought the Metrum. I was really really happy with my Rega+MG Head + HD800 rig. but I crossed the road of a Balancing Act+ Totaldac RIG and I understood suddenly that my HD800 could sound better :rolleyes: . You know what I mean...  That's the reason why I took the risk of the Sonett : purchasing something closer to what I heard from the Eddie Current Balancing Act and its perfect mix of clarity and smoothness without artificial warmth.  I read DNA amps share the same spirit with EC amps so.. Here I am  :wink:

You have a totaldac?! I always wanted to listen to one but it is way out of my price range.

Hello everyone don't have a sonnet but if I built a desktop system it would have some DNA :) Only heard the hd800 4 times in my life. 3 times I thought it was absolute crap the fourth? It was out of a DNA amp powered by a Hugo and it floored me. It tied with 2 other rigs (cavalli glass + lcd x & king sound h3 + h20? Tube amp, all out of Hugo's) as the best rigs I ever heard. So just hear to appreciate and plan for some day.*

* if don ever made a analog squared paper t-06 competitor I'd buy it in a heart beat. I can't talk myself to buying a desktop system but a transportable system is a whole nother thing

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #82 of 157
Hello all.  I am considering upgrading from my Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, to the DNA Sonnett 2.  

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience as to how the Sonett 2 would pair with T1 and/or TH900?

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #83 of 157
It pairs well with the T1 for sure . Dunno about the TH900 Sorry :wink:

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #85 of 157

Thanks Sorrodje.

I'd really like to try the TH900 with my current system. I've always dilsked the TH900 but I would like to give this fostex more listening time to elaborate my final opinion.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #86 of 157
If you're bored enough you can go back through the original Sonett thread.  I remember reading quite a bunch about it and the T1.  Don't recall much mention of the TH900, though.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #87 of 157
Thus far,  I can say I'm happy with the Sonett 2 with my HD800. It's not the most Hyped amp here but it deserves more attention. Very reliable companion in a headphone system. Never Impressive or colored but accurate, smooth and... "right". 

Didn't try the balanced mode yet but I've great hopes.

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #88 of 157
Good to hear you are enjoying your Sonett 2. After almost 5 years I'm still very happy with my Sonett 1 and HD800 and have no interest in other amps. Its just so simple and musical it just blows me away every time. Too bad it doesn't get more love around here.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #89 of 157
  Good to hear you are enjoying your Sonett 2. After almost 5 years I'm still very happy with my Sonett 1 and HD800 and have no interest in other amps. Its just so simple and musical it just blows me away every time. Too bad it doesn't get more love around here.

I agree.  The Sonett's don't get the love they deserve and I have no idea why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back