DNA Sonett 2
Jan 10, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #107 of 157
Interesting. I was a bit on the fence about 6H30p rolling and I thought I wouldn't gain anything with the EH against the Sovtek but Maybe i'll give those EH a try when i'll have Some money to spend. Thus fat I'm happy with those Sovtek though.

Thks
beerchug.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #108 of 157
I think the EH tubes do the HD 800 some good over the Sovtek.  Little added warmth.  

Reflektors are nice in all ways, but I could easily be content with the EH.  

I like a Mullard GZ34 in place of the stock 5A4R.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #111 of 157
Speaking of tubes, has anyone had the chance to try the ridiculously expensive 6n30p-dr in the Sonett 2? The few impressions I have been able to find online are pretty hyperbolic...and this was a few years ago when they were $100 each instead of $250 each
blink.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #112 of 157
Paid the deposit, and I am on the list. Now it is just 4 months of waiting. Going to enjoy my Speedball upgrade for Crack which arrived yesterday until I get my Sonett 2 
beyersmile.png

Does Sonett 2 have bottom plate or is it open design like BH Crack?

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #113 of 157
Bottom plate.

Congrats for the order.:)

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #115 of 157
Can anyone comment on how this amp compares to the Zana Deus SE or WA2? I am also curious about the output power on the Sonett 2. It seems very low compared to other amps. Are those amps just overkill?

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #117 of 157

Depends on which headphones you are planning to use the amp with...

I would be pairing the HD800. I also have Grado RS1i and PS1000 but I am currently pairing those with the Woo Audio WA7 and will continue to do so

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #118 of 157
I had a dream that included my Sonett the other night.  I was overly protective of it out on the streets with people flocking all around.  Nevermind the boat on wheels and the steep hill we wheelied over backwards on...  The feet looked more like metal cylinders and broke and went up inside the amp, and I HAD to get it home safely... which led me to listening to it the other night.  But anyways..

Donald has this to say about his choice of lower gain than others,

• Just the right amount of gain: 6dB (XLR and 0dB TRS setting); 0dB (-6dB TRS setting) 
Many headphone amplifiers have too much gain, thereby restricting the useable range of the volume control to the bottom of the potentiometer where the dual sections are imbalanced, causing one channel to play louder than other. Through the Sonett 2, you'll have plenty of volume control range with proper channel balancing at any setting. 

Reading back through the original Sonett thread you'll find most people agree the Sonett isn't the typical tube amp sound, if there is one. I suppose people these days think tubes equal warm... that's just not true.  That's the circuit design and implementation.  The Sonett is quite straight forward.  And I understand so is the Zana Deus.  I also understand the Woo WA2 imparts the stereotypical warmth.

Realize with the Sonett, you only have a few options for tube rolling.  With the WA2, you have more options than money.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #119 of 157
  I had a dream that included my Sonett the other night.  I was overly protective of it out on the streets with people flocking all around.  Nevermind the boat on wheels and the steep hill we wheelied over backwards on...  The feet looked more like metal cylinders and broke and went up inside the amp, and I HAD to get it home safely... which led me to listening to it the other night.  But anyways..

Donald has this to say about his choice of lower gain than others,

Reading back through the original Sonett thread you'll find most people agree the Sonett isn't the typical tube amp sound, if there is one. I suppose people these days think tubes equal warm... that's just not true.  That's the circuit design and implementation.  The Sonett is quite straight forward.  And I understand so is the Zana Deus.  I also understand the Woo WA2 imparts the stereotypical warmth.

Realize with the Sonett, you only have a few options for tube rolling.  With the WA2, you have more options than money.

Very interesting. Makes a ton of sense. Now I am very interested. So at the end of the day, does the amp provide enough power with headroom left? Not a requirement, I am just curious on how the amp operates with the HD800.

I think, at this time, I am just considering the Decware CSP3+, the Sonett 2, and Zana Deus SE if it becomes available used. I am most interested in the Sonett given that was designed with the HD800 in mind.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #120 of 157
What my dream? 
ph34r.gif

I quite like the Sonett with the HD800 and yes, there's enough headroom to rock out.  It gets louder than I can take, and I can take LOUD.  Is it the ultimate in dynamic abilities?  Not really, but it's good.  

Donald has mentioned the headphones he used to tweak the sound with, and it was more of a coincidence that the HD800s paired well.  I think he's more of a Beyer and AKG fan.

Not sure why these aren't on the DNA page anymore, other than guessing he's done making them, but here's the links:

http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Sonett-headphone-amplifier.html
http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Sonett-2-headphone-amplifier.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back