DJ headphones...are they (even) worth it ?
Oct 9, 2007 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

iQEM

1000+ Head-Fier
- technics RPDJ 1200
- pioneer HDJ 1000
- denon DN HP 1000
- stanton DJ PRO 3000
- vestax DM-01
- allen & heath XD53
- sony mdr V700

which one are these that worth to buy ? basic from the costs ofcourse...
icon10.gif
and please give me your impression from what you'd pick...thx !

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 39
If you're a bass-head they may not be the worst thing to buy, if you can find them at the right price. I can't speak for any of the phones mentioned on your list other than the Technics, because I had interest in them a couple of years back. From what I remember, they sounded like closed KSC-35/PortaPro with more bass then those phones (deal-killer #1 for me, because I already think that the KSC 35 and PortaPro have enough bass), and they were comfortable on my ears. However, deal-killer #2 for me was the Local Rat Shack was asking $200 for them, which I felt could be better spent on other cans. That, and the fact that I realized that I favor open phones over closed more these days.

If I remember my time on Head-Fi well, I think it's safe to say, avoid the Sony V700 though. From what I've heard, they are junk, but I've never heard them with my own ears.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 39
Yeah the senns do actually get used by djs too. I remember paul oakenfold used to use em (maybe still does, its been a while since i've paid any attention to that scene)

I used a pair of the sonys (still have em actually) & i was happy with them for years. Don't know if i would be now...

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 39
I have been DJing for 3 years at my local club. I have friends that is a DJ for 20
some years. The most headphones they use is either Sony MDR-V700 or the
Pioneer HDJ-1000. Rarely they even use the others you mentioned or even ever.
I am from Los Angeles so there is a lot of DJ I can based of opinions. They prefer
MDR-V700. Head-Fiers don't like them for some reason but DJ's love them. They
do 100% of what a DJ need.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #12 of 39
I prefer Pioneer HDJ-1000. imo it's better than V700s in all department.

to the OP, if you really like bass, those AKG may be your answer. or try the Beyer DT770s. not a DJ can, but they present bass very well imo.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been DJing for 3 years at my local club. I have friends that is a DJ for 20
some years. The most headphones they use is either Sony MDR-V700 or the
Pioneer HDJ-1000. Rarely they even use the others you mentioned or even ever.
I am from Los Angeles so there is a lot of DJ I can based of opinions. They prefer
MDR-V700. Head-Fiers don't like them for some reason but DJ's love them. They
do 100% of what a DJ need.

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #13 of 39
I've only tried the V700s, but I'd write a pretty favorable review of them for the price. It's not a pair I use at home for listening anymore (got some HD650s for that), but they're certainly fine for electronic/club music.

More importantly - to me - is that they seem pretty indestructible. I usually break headphones within a year or so of use, but my V700s have been tossed around in every conceivable situation for a good three years now. They show signs of wear, but they still work fine. Just be warned, the cord on them sucks, and WILL get messed up.

Take 'em for a listen, since you can find them at almost any store that sells headphones. I remember being wowed by them three years ago. So long ago...

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #14 of 39
all the matsu****a sound products i have tested failed to impress me, a pair of IEM´s actually disgusted me, when it comes to headphones, i would pass on any matsu****a,

btw, matsushuta = panasonic = technics
they have tons of good products, and extreamly good mid range electronics, but for some reason, headphones escape their know how,

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #15 of 39
There's a good group review of DJ-headphones at www.skratchworx.com
I'm using RP-DJ1210's for DJ'ing, but they are way too tight for normal listening, at least on my head. Very good isolation, and very durable (I've used mine almost daily for approx. 7 years. There seems to be the general consensus that Technics got only two DJ products right, the SL-12XXMkX turntables and the RP-DJ12X0 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back