DIY Zu Pivot into Senn 650 cable?
Jun 7, 2004 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kush_

100+ Head-Fier
I have a spare 2 metre Zu Pivot mini->RCA cable. Seeing as it is not being used I was wondering if it's possible for me to turn it into a better headphone cable for my HD-650's and if it would actually sound better? or is it a stupid idea which wont work?
I haven't done much DIY stuff before but I assume it would be pretty easy, just replace the mini connector with a full size headphone one and replace the 2 RCA plugs with the 2 Sennheiser connector things currantly on my stock cable. I would also have to keep using a small amount of stock cabling just before the 2 Sennheiser plugs, would this bring the performance back to stock levels?

Is this in the right forum I would I be better posting in the "Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories" forum :/

Thanks for any input

Jun 7, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 4
yeh but what I really want to know is:
Would it sound better than the Stock Senn cable? is so what might it be comparable to?
Would using a some of the stock cabling just before the 2 Sennheiser plugs (otherwise the plugs would be ruined) ruin the performance?

I dont want to ruin a perfectly good Zu Pivot unless its going to make a difference. If it's not likely to be better than the stock cable I will continue trying to sell it as it is.

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 4
Kush, I would sell the Zu cable and with the money you get for it purchase some silver/teflon wiring and a nice quality phono plug, perhaps Cardas? I think you would see more improvement with that than a Zu pivot.

Edit: Or sell it and buy an Oehlbach cable. if you solder the connections after the plugs you run a high risk of the connection breaking if accidentally yanked on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back